Looking for Climate history of Japan

Grand Solar Minimum: Science behind the cycles and effects, as well as historical analysis.
JWSTARR

Looking for Climate history of Japan

#1 Post by JWSTARR » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:12 am

Hello! I'm new. Has anyone seen Climate data for ASIA ?? specificallly I'm in Hiroshima. I'd like to get an idea what is to be expected. we had flooding this summer. I expect more of that. I want winter data. DEpending on which cycle we are in.. I am looking for the most predictive data for the next few years. I'm also interested in long term. Last I checked I'm understanding that we will see a quick decreease in temps with little pause.. And it may go into glaciaition which will lower ocean levels... I don't understand those timlines yet... but my local info would be a great start. Thanks!!

Elew

Re: Looking for Climate history of Japan

#2 Post by Elew » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:36 pm

Welcome :)

If you look up Adapt 2030, David has some great info on past cycles in Asia. He does videos on youtube, blog posts on steemit, pod casts on soundcloud and many other places.

JWSTARR

#3 Post by JWSTARR » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:38 pm

I've checked out ADAPT and IAF available files. I have found some info.. I'm working to build up the best picture I can to how things will shift. There is a lot of data. I imagine its the same a lot of people want:

Location specific; 1. staged temp changes by year 2. rainfall indication 3. develop crop choices or move... I'm at 34 N lat .. Hiroshima.. I'm asking locally how I could get more info.

thanks

Elew

#4 Post by Elew » Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:10 am

Maybe look into the old stories too...talk to the oldest people you can find and ask them about the stories Their grandparents and great-grandparents told them. Little bits of, "my grandmother told me when I was little that we were lucky to have _____, because when they were young they had to eat ____"

Look for histories in the temples, because Asia has written history that goes back much further than other places (like here).

I would love to hear what you find too...

JWSTARR

#5 Post by JWSTARR » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:15 am

People will love this one / 姥捨て山 ubasuteyama .. The mountain where old women are abandoned ... This was done in earlier cold periods when food ran out. Old and terminally sick people would wander into the mountains and die in the snow. Really.. it has a word that means just that!

Elew

#6 Post by Elew » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:38 am

Yeah, the stories are fascinating, we can learn alot from them.

Our ancestors used to sacrifice people to appease the gods to bring good crops. There was alot of famine, drought, storms and snow

Andy F

#7 Post by Andy F » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:53 am

JWSTARR wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:15 am
People will love this one / 姥捨て山 ubasuteyama .. The mountain where old women are abandoned ... This was done in earlier cold periods when food ran out. Old and terminally sick people would wander into the mountains and die in the snow. Really.. it has a word that means just that!
You are right, it is said to be a legend, but maybe it was a real practice. In academics, we studied that as a real case & xenophobia, had panel arguments whether it was either a moral or immoral practice. Key point was, the high elevation of mountain's culture of community where they only had a certain amount of food crops to provide life for a certain number of members. When a new child is born, meant someone had to die. The elders knew they were now a burden, so they willingly went to the snow peaks and froze to death, to give life to the new child. They had living funerals, and the entire community celebrated their elder's life while the one to die was still alive. Elders were those at age 60 & had to go to the peaks to die. It was a hard life in the mountain village, at age 60 they were physically broken & unable to contribute in doing farm work.

1925 Ubasuteyama Legend 18 minute film https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qvfCW28Dxc
What do you think it? Is it the moral and right thing to do for elders & the sick to die for the common good of the many?
When someone rejects you, don't fear, or suffer, for they are probably not worth your time ~Unknown.

Andy F

#8 Post by Andy F » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:37 am

Climatic variations in Japan reconstructed from historical documents Download 4 page PDF here - https://rmets.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/d ... 02/wea.281
by Takehiko Mikami
Department of Geography,Tokyo Metropolitan University
In Japan, we have several kinds of documentary sources for reconstructing climatic variations in historical times:
1) Cherry-tree-flowering date records since the eleventh century;
2) Lake-freezing date records since the sixteenth century; and
3) Weather diary records since the eighteenth century. In this article, we will introduce the characteristics of these valuable proxy data and will describe long-term climatic variations in Japan reconstructed from such proxy records.

Good paper on Japan, Climate history & Cherry Trees as a climate marker records going back to 16th century. I have not read it all, yet.

Tokyo Metropolitan University - Climatology Department's Professor Jun Matsumoto https://www.tmu-beyond.tokyo/climatolog ... ml?lang=en

Climate Change Knowledge Portal - Japan http://sdwebx.worldbank.org/climateport ... sCCode=JPN
This one is connected to World Bank (I do not xxxx). There are 3 tabs up top: Climate, Impacts, Vulnerabilities.
Below the graphs on each tabbed page is tiny blue print which is a "Learn More" LINK.
When someone rejects you, don't fear, or suffer, for they are probably not worth your time ~Unknown.

Andy F

#9 Post by Andy F » Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:17 pm

Japan's Success Story of Little Ice Age via Sense & Sustainability, has a lot of links within text http://www.senseandsustainability.net/2 ... ess-story/

Andy F

#10 Post by Andy F » Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:21 pm

Climate and Famine in Historic Japan: A Very Long-Term Perspective - 8th to 19th Century
Read online or download PDF here: http://archive.iussp.org/members/restri ... pter15.pdf