"Trump's Border Closure" to cause Food Shortages

iceagefarmer
Site Admin

"Trump's Border Closure" to cause Food Shortages

#1 Post by iceagefarmer » Wed Apr 03, 2019 5:10 am

Suddenly, "Trump's Border Closing" is the US Brexit - going to drive up food prices:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/01/us/p ... onomy.html

... thoughts ?

Kink

Re: "Trump's Border Closure" to cause Food Shortages

#2 Post by Kink » Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:27 pm

While I'm very sure it will temporarily cause shortages due to a reduction in labor; I never could understand why people think Americans were always unwilling to do these jobs before we had illegal immigrants crossing en masse. As if a white or black man could never conceive of working farms or picking fruit in a field. As the article states, we now depend on "mexican labor" but this is not the conservatives fault for trying to solve the problem that the liberals created in the first place.

It's a very difficult situation for sure but the sooner we get these hard times out of the way, the sooner we can even think of what the future of our country will look like while going into the grand solar minimum. There is certainly such a thing as too much good, and I think we've crossed that line a decade ago.

Farside

Re: "Trump's Border Closure" to cause Food Shortages

#3 Post by Farside » Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:28 pm

I have a friend who owns a construction company in San Fran. He does high end residential work which is very lucrative as you can imagine.

A few years ago he wanted to hire an apprentice, a local kid looking for a break. He was one of those kids who was written off young, only to prove everyone wrong through hard work and a few lucky breaks. His intentions were as much about paying it forward as it was business expansion.

Try as he did, he simply couldn't find anyone who wanted to work a job involving physical work and smelly dirt. In the end he hired an immigrant kid because they were the only people willing to do those types of jobs.

This isn't a democrat/republican issue. It's a lazy ass inter-generational issue with a side order of entitlement. When an honest day's work is considered beneath the dignity of the citizenry then I'm sorry to say that that society is literally stepping off the edge into full blown collapse. As little as 150 years ago, another culture made up of harder people would invade and take their rightful place.

I really don't know how this will go down in the US. Maybe a civil war, followed by a foreign invasion that cleans up the remnant I dunno. Hawaii sounds nice right about now haha :-)