What did you do to prepare today?

What did you do to prepare today?
Elew

Re: What did you do to prepare today?

#201 Post by Elew » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:49 pm

Hey Dirt, I'm glad all is going well.

Andy, "60 Duro Gasket" material...noted thanks :)

Today my main job (source of income) ended, because the shop owner is 74 and needed to retire. So...it's me and my etsy shops now. I am taking a day to readjust my focus and energy. New beginnings are good.

Andy F

#202 Post by Andy F » Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:42 am

dirtmurphy wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:02 pm
Hey everyone! Dad's surgeries have gone well. He's back home now.
Anyhow, I wanted to check in to say hey. I've been thinking about y'all. Stay warm!
Well howdy stranger! I knew you was busy over in the holler at the Family Farm. Glad your Dad is better, keep him active amap. I'm sure the surgeon said that.
Wow, worms, construction, yummy potatoes, rice you won't starve. The vacuum sealer, I think it was a cheaper refurbished one, still is good 5 yrs later. Might find a used one on Ebay? They have good return policy, slants 100% to buyer on used.
Storage...I had seen where some had built high 14" depth shelves out of 2x2 wood and small chains around many of their walls up near ceiling. Maybe that could work?
Tomorrow drying more bananas, and maybe apples if I get to store.
I'm reading way into the night over at GIZA Death Star, birds, fires & other strange phenomena. Joseph Farrell is pretty cool & all that in fun smart stuff https://gizadeathstar.com/uncategorized/
I latched onto a couple Fresnel Lenses at yard sale, using to boil water. Works good.
I have a Library. Winter bookworm on history. Anarchist. https://www.archive.org :mrgreen:

Andy F

#203 Post by Andy F » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:15 pm

Today?
Waiting for important phone call & hunting down odd PDFs. Go to store after get call. BANANAS!
Being lazy. Music. Writing a couple real letters (pen & paper & stamp)
Are the Russians still coming?!?! :mrgreen:

EDIT: Wouldn't you know, got phone call at 1640. Day is nearly over.
I have a Library. Winter bookworm on history. Anarchist. https://www.archive.org :mrgreen:

Andy F

#204 Post by Andy F » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:47 pm

Today?
Been watching solar storm news for mid-week via solarham.
It is "expected" to hit the UK later this evening, their express news stated they fear it will damage their technology, cell phones, PC type & other electronics. I hope they'll be okay.
It will be interesting to see how that plays out, and if bad it would be a fair warning elsewhere.

Time to retire small electronics inside microwave for a day or two?? :mrgreen:

Andy F

#205 Post by Andy F » Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:48 am

Today?
Hunting.

dirtmurphy

#206 Post by dirtmurphy » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:36 pm

We've been getting ready for the big snowstorm for the past couple of days. We've run almost every errand imaginable. I picked up a new snow shovel and an ash bucket for the wood stove. The contractors will be installing the chimney on Wednesday, or at least that's the plan. It will probably get bumped back due to the weather. The forecast is 10-20" here in Asheville. We also got more firewood.
This year's pullets are finally starting to lay. We've gotten eight eggs in the past two days. Yay!
Today I talked to Jehovah's Witnesses about Joseph and the Pharaoh. I told them to prepare for famine. Call me crazy but I like it when they come to drop off their magazines. Anyhow, hopefully they'll start stocking up.

Andy F

#207 Post by Andy F » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:04 pm

Today?
Dehydrating bananas, still. Tomorrow 2 dozen apple's into slices.
They all smell...........too GOOD. I've decided the banana smell is causing me to get hungry when normally I wouldn't be.
Today, I sprinkled some cinnamon & nutmeg on top. I can hardly stand it, is making me crave banana nut bread.
The answers; several TerraBytes, keeping to threads (mostly) & can read if they wish & they know what topic is there, mostly.

@dirtmurphy :lol: JW's have their own beliefs, it's God who wills famine to occur. They forget He helps those who're willing to help themselves in learning & doing to be better. You did your part, it's now up to them to think on what you told them. I can relate to the Mormon's, who were always best on prepping.

Kink

#208 Post by Kink » Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:51 pm

I've been felling logs by hand, and if you haven't already, I recommend getting to it. You will really see how out of shape you are :mrgreen: . Pro tip: Don't kill yourself, we all need to start working just to our limit or slightly over it, not going full out so you are down for multiple days in a row. Take note of farmers, they are out tending to their land everyday of the week, but aren't completely gassing themselves out each time or they wouldn't be nearly as productive.

It's so bitter cold I'm going to add some masks to my shopping list, as well as a nice heavy maul for chopping as my 5lb axe is simply not going to cut it. I also need some heavy duty wedges. Been out scouting for scrap today and found a nice pile of brick/concrete in the woods, perfect for a fire pit or whatever else when SHTF.

Andy F

#209 Post by Andy F » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:33 pm

Today?
I counted up 788 base, 95 lily pads :mrgreen:
Finishing up on dehydrating bananas, they're like candy YUM.
Decided I'd slice thicker & cut into quarters to use in oatmeal or baking.
Adding to December's ToDoList but prioritizing it is ewwww!

Just for the record, 2018 summer in AZ was not nearly as hot, quite a few others who live here have agreed.

dirtmurphy

#210 Post by dirtmurphy » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:48 pm

@Andy F, you're bananas! @Kink, been there, done that. I don't own a chainsaw yet. All I have is an axe, a splitting maul, hand saws, and a couple of hatchets. I'm buying a chainsaw next year. I am a farmer and felling trees by hand takes up too much time for me. I have way too many chores to do as it is :D
Today we picked up more firewood before the storm got kicking. I also cleaned our gutters to handle all the snow melt that's coming and oiled the new snow shovel.
We got the new Sow True Seed catalog yesterday. Now I get to make out a shopping list! I love picking out new crop varieties, not new as in just developed but new as in we haven't tried them yet. All Sow True Seeds are heirloom.
So now the snow is falling and all that's left to do is enjoy watching it while oiling my boots. I do love winter!