Indoor RV Growing

What did you do to prepare today?
Elew

Indoor RV Growing

#1 Post by Elew » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:02 pm

Since this is an ongoing adventure I figured it should have a thread. We live in a 32' class C.

We have been growing primarily in Aerogardens, because for the space, they are perfect. We don't have room for anything larger.

In soil pots we have beets, chives, oregano, garlic, cukes, mint, ginger, and bayberries. The cukes didn't do great but everything else is going well. We got one little cuke that tasted sooo good I need to grow more! They will need a deeper pot with at least a 2 gallon reservoir (which I found), and a better space for climbing. They will have to wait until we re-organize a few other things.
The pot they were in will have dwarf blueberries in it in a few weeks.

In the aerogardens we have lettuce, cherry tomatoes, basil, and peppers just started...and then we have mason jars for sprouts. There will be a sprouting shelf soon :)

My goal was to at least grow salad. We can stay healthy on the stored grains and beans and things if we each have some greens each day. So first goal accomplished!! All grown indoors in a little RV

Now I have plans to add spinach, nettle, much more garlic, and potatoes in 5 gallon buckets tucked in next to the RV next summer so they hopefully go unnoticed.

flintoid

Re: Indoor RV Growing

#2 Post by flintoid » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:30 pm

maybe you can make up some portapotty stickers for the potato pales
that ought to keep them walking

CreoleGenius

#3 Post by CreoleGenius » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:33 am

Could you call this method of growing 'portaculture''?

Elew

#4 Post by Elew » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:34 am

Hmm. portaculture maybe :) It might just be a name that sticks...

dirtmurphy

#5 Post by dirtmurphy » Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:52 pm

Clever!

Elew

#6 Post by Elew » Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:38 pm

flintoid wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:30 pm
maybe you can make up some portapotty stickers for the potato pales
that ought to keep them walking
It's the RV park owners that don't really want anything outdoors, so I don't think that would fool them :) More so if I keep them out of sight they might not mind me growing them. Someday maybe we will have a bit of land...

Elew

#7 Post by Elew » Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:49 pm

Bayberry Update

Just to recap, I potted these 3 year old Myrica pensylvanica rooted cuts in 50/50 potting soil to sand...back in the late spring'ish. I use the leaves in sauces, soups etc...in place of Bay Leaves. The wax from the berries when they grow will be used for candles.

The roots have all taken, and starting in the last few weeks I began pinching back the tops, taking off the new growth tips to try and coax it to branch down lower. Living in the RV I cannot let them grow to 6' tall...I need to let them bush out and dwarf them some.

So far so good :)

We had our first frost last night too, so I cut back the original longer branches today to continue coaxing branching and hopefully spring budding on the new branches next season. I usually prune back bayberry after the first frost anyways to hang the leaves to dry for cooking in the winter.

No berries this year, but that's to be expected...they had to focus on growing roots and branching...

CreoleGenius

#8 Post by CreoleGenius » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:15 pm

We have a closely related species down here in the southeast called, by various names Wax Myrtle, flea bush, etc. Full of eucalyptoid oils, repels insects underneath a house. Boil the thousands of male plant berries, and make candles just like Bay Berry. Goats love to eat the tree, as well. Old timers and indians usually retain the memories of such skills.

Elew

#9 Post by Elew » Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:52 pm

Yes, they are cousins...yours is what we call southern bayberry, ours we call northern bayberry. They are one of my favorite plants. I hope they make it here in pots, but we will see. I'm considering packing some hay around the pots for a bit of insulation since they are above ground.

Elew

#10 Post by Elew » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:15 am

One more macrame shelf made. I know it's hard to see, but it makes room for 12 more plants...The top shelf is baby pepper plants and the bottom shelf is all basil so we can start making pesto...

This shelf will need a wrap of some sort in the winter to hold the warmth in, because it is on an outer wall...It might even need a heating pad in mid winter. We will see.

Last edited by Elew on Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.