Indoor RV Growing

What did you do to prepare today?
dirtmurphy

Re: Indoor RV Growing

#11 Post by dirtmurphy » Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:54 pm

I'm really impressed by what you're doing in such a small space. Your practical creativity is admirable!

SunUp

#12 Post by SunUp » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:26 pm

Wow, never thought of making macrame shelf holders...what a great idea...thanks
South Eastern Arizona

Andy F

#13 Post by Andy F » Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:31 pm

Macrame is beautiful. It is a bit of a Lost Art from the 60's & she's got it going on with skill. I was happy to see a kindred spirit.
I have a Library. Winter bookworm. Peaceful dissent, is a true anarchist. https://www.archive.org :mrgreen:

Elew

#14 Post by Elew » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:59 pm

We have various peppers growing on the new macrame shelves now...mainly spice peppers for drying. I have a blackout curtain to wrap around the shelf to keep more heat in in the winter, so we should be able to grow them year round...

Elew

#15 Post by Elew » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:52 pm

SunUp wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:26 pm
Wow, never thought of making macrame shelf holders...what a great idea...thanks
Yeah, it took me a while (like 2 years, hehe) to realize it would be the best way for us non carpenters to make custom shelves, but it's working really well. Minimal wood working, and non-permanent so if if in the future we sell this RV for another, or decide to do something different, we can just take them down.

Elew

#16 Post by Elew » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:58 pm

dirtmurphy wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:54 pm
I'm really impressed by what you're doing in such a small space. Your practical creativity is admirable!
Thanks Dirt :) So far so good...we will see how they all do in the Colorado winter. I was hoping to get the wood stove in here before fall, but life happened and the wood stove didn't, yet...so fingers crossed the plants make it through winter power outages and cold. We have one back up heat source though.
Maybe something energetic will happen and we will still get the wood stove this year ;)

Elew

#17 Post by Elew » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:59 pm

Andy F wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 11:31 pm
Macrame is beautiful. It is a bit of a Lost Art from the 60's & she's got it going on with skill. I was happy to see a kindred spirit.
Thanks Andy :) I love macrame...I think it is making a comeback...

Elew

#18 Post by Elew » Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:46 pm

I think I posted this in another thread before I started this one...the macrame shelves in the bathroom. This wall has a 4 inch depth, so these thin shelves work perfectly. I am hoping to get strawberries growing on them. Right now we have basil in the thin aerogarden, but now we have twice as much basil growing on the hall shelves...so one they get growing well, this one will change to fruit...

We have been revamping the RV. This whole bathroom will eventually come out, we are planning on adding a bath tub, removing the clunky big wood stuff they have in there and adding a nice sink and med cabinet...but that will all be later. We put a new toilet in a few months after we moved in (a couple years ago now) because the old one was beyond hope.

So this is what we did...

Before and primed with BIN

Finish paint...

Then Nyai added in two outlets...and I made a macrame shelf to fit the space...

I will make a little frame for the double outlet...it used to be one of those sunken TP holders...but we needed an outlet more.

The floor will get done later when we pull everything out.

But for now...happy growing wall :)

Elew

#19 Post by Elew » Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:44 pm

Just a peppers update...they are growing well so far

The new basil ig growing, so hopefully soon I can sty some fruit on the bathroom shelves. I wonder if I can get strawberries growing in here in the winter. I would need to wait until the heat is on full time because right now it gets down to 58* F, but I refuse to turn the heat above 58* in Sept. It still gets warm enough in the day, though yesterday we never opened the windows and so far today it looks like it could stay pretty cool out. soup and bread season...if I cook some in the evening it stays warm in here until around 2 am.

Anyways, cherry tomatoes are still going strong...I started them last Feb.

Oregano on it's 5th growth, ready to be trimmed again. I will need to put it outdoors soon to let it go dormant for the winter.

Bayberries looking good, and mint looks great! I will bring the mint indoors today to see if they grow well without a long dormant period.

2 new wild bush Blueberries are planted in pots and I see a little new growth on one. Fingers crossed the roots take well before it gets too cold. We should get enough blueberries off the two bushes for all the jam we need...but once they get a good freeze for a couple weeks I will bring them indoors so the deer don't eat them down to nubs.

Elew

#20 Post by Elew » Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:53 pm

Well, I got the winter blanket for the peppers and basil finished just in time. It was cooold last night, and we could get snow in the next few days...

Here is a little before and after. This should not only keep them warm enough to grow well all winter, but as the days get shorter we will not appear to be a neon glowing RV :) A bit more incognito...

And I am glad I brought the mint in, because this is what it looked like at 7 am this morning...