Indoor RV Growing

What did you do to prepare today?
Elew

Re: Indoor RV Growing

#21 Post by Elew » Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:29 pm

So I broke everything down for the moment, except the hallway peppers and Basil...because, once we move the RV back to our normal space in a few days, I am going to set up the new area in the kitchen (where the dinette used to be in the main slide) The tomatoes will live there, the sprouting shelf will be set up, I have some Arapaho blackberries coming to give them an indoor try...some lingon berries...the blueberries, and I promise I will squeeze in some cucumbers :) More on all of this as we go...

oh, and I am going to try to convert the smallest aerogardens into a soil pot for strawberries in the bathroom shelves, because it is mainly the timed light we need there...we will see how that goes :)

Elew

Re: Indoor RV Growing - Pepper update

#22 Post by Elew » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:17 pm

The peppers are flowering :)

We got snow, the temps went down to 5* F for a couple night and we were running on backup heat...but they made it through okay. A few browned flowers, and some leaf damage...but all in all it looks like we will have some fresh dried spices soon!

Elew

#23 Post by Elew » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:01 pm

Tomorrow we have 6 strawberries, 1 lingonberry, and 1 apache blackberry arriving :) So today I am getting the pots ready.

For the strawberries we are using the 3 pod aerogarden. This garden has no water pump, so grow medium will work fine. Layering clay pellets and coco coir.

The benefit will be that the light is built in, and we will be able to water, see the water level, and keep the water in the clay pellets so the roots can breath well. We will see how it goes.

The lingonberry and blackberry will also be in coco coir...but I am not sure how well the lingonberry will do, they might need a 50/50 sand to soil mix.

Elew

#24 Post by Elew » Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:28 am

Okay, I have the growing area set up...

Not a bad space for an RV :)

The sprout shelf is close to the light, but we can turn the jars to shade them some with the screen like this

In the jars we have alfalfa, clover, diakon and mung bean for the first round. We have space for 8 jars so we can get rotation going

Andy F

#25 Post by Andy F » Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:08 am

Very nice setup, Elew. You sure are getting a head start. I like the little clay figurine. I stared at him/her for a couple mins. Did someone you know create it?
"Conspiracy Theorist: One who asks legitimate questions about shady activities of people who're well known to be liars." https://www.archive.org :mrgreen: http://www.secretsinplainsight.com/

Elew

#26 Post by Elew » Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:29 am

Thanks Andy, I feel like we are behind...this will be the third grow space and we might have enough to make jam for the year and have salad and herbs. Hopefully these will all grow well. If not we will be changing it up until it does work.

The little clay figure, Nyai found her and brought her home. I call her the turtle mother, because she is holding a turtle. She is pretty old, and hand made, but we don't know who made her. She reminds me of a fertility goddess though, and the plants seem to grow better when she is near them.

Elew

#27 Post by Elew » Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:37 pm

The pruned bayberries...

and the culprits coming back for more...

once this snow melts off I will bring them in for the winter. We don't want the deer to nibble them to nothing.

It's been below freezing on and off for a couple weeks, so that should be enough cold to tell them it's a new season when I bring them in...hopefully.

Elew

#28 Post by Elew » Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:41 pm

The lingonberry and blackberry seem very happy :)

But the poor little strawberries...hopefully I can bring them back

Elew

#29 Post by Elew » Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:12 pm

Baby peppers!!

Elew

#30 Post by Elew » Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:24 pm

And we have PEPPERS!!! :D

Little jalapenos, which Nyai cannot eat, but I love to add to my food, or I melt a little cream cheese and cheddar with some jalapeno slices to eat with crackers (home made jalapeno poppers) one of my favorite snacks :)

Next we will be trying chili's and cayenne for drying. (but I need to figure out where to put another pot so I can have jalapenos growing all year...)