Elew

Re: What did you do to prepare today?

#151 Post by Elew » Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:37 pm

Andy F wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:34 pm

What is the real point of all those tunnels? :D
They want to retro prove the tribes here came from asia? :lol:

Maybe I was dreaming of Kink's worms :shock:
Last edited by Elew on Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Elew

#152 Post by Elew » Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:54 pm

Speaking of oiling tools, I need to oil all of mine too. I just ordered some honing oil last week as well...getting a basket full of sharpening stuff together. I have nice Arkansas stones I've been using for about 20 years, but need a backup set, and some compounds..a couple belts, etc.

Money here might get super tight...but Nyai just got offered a good second job so that will help. My income just dropped to 15,000 a year, haha. Hopefully I can build up the Etsy shops to at least double that, or triple it. My hands will be busy for sure. Until I do though, my prepping will be sparse and I will be focusing more on learning skills. I knew this was coming so really tried to get all the tools and supplies I would need over the last year. I got pretty much everything, just a few more things here and there we will need...most important will be the wood stove. I am good at thrifty though, so we will get it.

Elew

#153 Post by Elew » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:30 pm

Not sure where to put this, but it's a good one...

Should we make a forum for shelters?

dirtmurphy

#154 Post by dirtmurphy » Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:27 am

@Elew, one of these days, I'll get around to building an igloo. We've certainly had the snow for it the past couple of days! I measured 10" in the back yard. The past couple of days have been spent shoveling snow here and at the homes of some of the more medically fragile people in the neighborhood. Actually, I did their houses yesterday after knocking the snow off the greenhouse roof (priorities). I only started doing the real heavy lifting at our house today. I also finally laid the face bricks on the hearth today. I should have done it sooner but there are only so many hours in a day. The contractor is supposed to be here on Wednesday to install the chimney. I know you've been chomping at the bit to get your own stove. I hope you do. I can't imagine a Colorado winter with nothing but space heaters and hot water bottles! It took me a long time to get everything together. I had wanted to do this by summer, and it still isn't finished. After the chimney is done and the stove hooked up, I still need to get more firewood, build a wood crib, and buy a chainsaw. This project has a lot of pieces!

Kink

#155 Post by Kink » Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:07 pm

Andy F wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:37 am

I think you have "Bean Seed Maggots"
https://ento.psu.edu/extension/factshee ... eed-maggot

I think you are right! These are very close to what I saw, nightmares man.. thanks for the encouraging posts guys it's really needed in a time like this. What dehydrator do you use Andy? I really need to add one to my list. I have a decent vacuum sealer and that's an amazing idea to seal some thread/notepads/paper + pens. Thanks for the video as well I've actually been thinking about igloos lately lol, even just for food storage I think it would be great for, but when the time comes we're gonna want smaller living space to have to heat anyways so I can see igloos/tipis making a come back. Chainsaw kicks ass now, I got some (maple?) cut up and have a pile up to my knees now in a single day of work compared to the few logs I had before. Splitting has also been way easier than I would have expected and am only using the 5lb axe. Almost can't believe I was manually felling anything now...

I've been cleaning a lot, everything is a mess in the shed and loft area, but am also finding a lot of family heirlooms I haven't seen since I was a kid. Found a bunch of old hockey gear that was my uncles, definitely see the elbow pads and stuff coming in handy under some clothes while bush wacking or even hunting as this progresses. I'm going to build a simple firewood storage setup like in this video, using only what mother nature can provide + what I can find in scrap. Got some rain the other day while I wasn't home that got my stockpile some, can't have that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bK3ULjEKPt8
Last edited by Kink on Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kink

#156 Post by Kink » Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:14 pm

First wood crib is finished using the top video as a reference, recycled some cinder blocks and wood stakes I found in a dump pile, also found a tarp in the shed for rain protection which I'm going to cut for a second crib here soon. Can't wait to start seeing the stock build up more and more (still have a few logs that need split in the pictures just noticed) :)

Kink

#157 Post by Kink » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:29 pm

Andy F wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:37 pm
I'm thinking on designing & making a portable but large aluminum tubing TeePee as a new project. I'll make it with Army Surplus tent cloth, & more complicated with brackets & struts, & modding those steel house framing brackets, hahaha! Somewhere I have a pattern/plans for TP.
Please do! I would love to see you put this together. If you could make it modular that would be awesome to see, like the ability to attach a second tipi and it be connected with a middle 'tunnel' or something, maybe the middle piece could seat the fireplace/stove? :ugeek: Thanks for sharing your dehydator, I will look into it, but I may need to go cheaper since money is so tight.

I am the same way about needing to write it down, it also just helps seeing it visually. I have no problem tunnel visioning something but my issues come when I need to prioritize between multiple things and decide which requires the most time/attention the soonest as my head is constantly spinning with my mind on what needs to be done next. Same too about not wanting to share at first, I try to practice basic opsec but we're going into a friggin' mini ice age, now is not the time to be shy outside of not sharing obvious stuff like your arsenal/food stock, those seem like things to keep a little privatized.

Good idea about sealing ziplocs I've never thought about trying them, not sure if you've heard of MBBs (mylar barrier bags) but I picked up on these when I used to be a rebel, sending cannabis to my friend. These bags have been tested by someone using his retired drug dog, if I recall correctly, the regular sealer bags only lasted days before leaking smell, when sealed multiple times they got this up to a week each additional bag. The MBBs would last a month and an additional month each bag before leaking smell. I wonder if this is a good indicator of how long they last storing food too?

Kink

#158 Post by Kink » Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:35 pm

@Andy F yeah the dome does seem like a better choice logically, plus it could be repurposed as a greenhouse if you needed to. Tipi seems more hobby/shits and giggles filled. I question the reasoning for not covering the poles in that simplydifferent link and instead using the inside, seems like less space that would be available for the trade off of not living with rods that could just be wrapped with something soft to protect you, and could even be used for mounting things on the inside.

Good to know we are able to speak our mind here and feel free doing so, not many places left you can even talk about those things and not catch heavy flak or be silenced altogether.

Found some seeds my grandpa left, a whole ton of garlic bulbs along with zucchini, tomato, peppers, etc that I sealed today, would love to keep his lineage going if at all possible. Might even buy some extra store bought seeds and seal those for bartering later on down the road. Really considering buying a bunch of survival equipment like crank flashlights, solar powered battery banks not only for myself but to trade/sell later on when the demand increases

dirtmurphy

#159 Post by dirtmurphy » Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:04 pm

Balancing out the physical to sit down? That's smart! Wish I would have been doing more of that over the past couple of days. I'm so tired and hurt all over. Too much shoveling!
The contractors had to reschedule our chimney installation due to the snow. We aren't getting it until next Tuesday. I keep saying that it's ok, but it's really cold in here and frustrating to think that we have to wait several more days before we can get warm.
There's so much to learn and do. Kink brought up the point that it's hard to figure out what to do next, what's most important. Here's my suggestion. Adopt a permaculture mindset. By that I mean, try to concentrate on projects that perform more than one function first. Take the woodstove for instance. I start all of my seeds indoors, most of them in the winter months. I have a hard time keeping seed trays warm enough for rapid germination. The stove will keep us and the seed trays warm so not only is our shelter going to be more comfortable but our food production will also benefit. Also, it's a good idea to tackle at least one big project every year (I'm thinking about Kink's faschia and gutters). The way I see it, it will be harder to afford things in the near future, so try to knock out as many big ticket items as possible, particularly the ones that will only cause more problems as time goes on. And let's not forget picking up the skills we need to keep ourselves fed. Providing ourselves with food isn't easy. There are a lot of skills to pick up along the way. Just remember that you don't have to learn and do everything at once. If you try that, you're going to freak out and that won't help anyone one bit.

Kink

#160 Post by Kink » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:47 pm

@dirtymurphy I completely understand what you're going through without heat, last year managed to go 2 months with no furnace and it was rough but not the end of the world, but I couldn't imagine having to do it with this year and what's yet to come. Great points on targeting the big things, you are very right and I'm now going to take your guys' seasoned advice and not over think and stay in the now on what I can do productive. What you're going through with the snow shoveling really reminds me of how blessed I am for the equipment my grandfather managed to acquire before passing, just put a new carburetor on the leaf blower totally forgetting it can function as a snow blower :o. It's hard still because everything I touch he had his hands in but I'm so very grateful to have been given most of what I need, my spiritual growth between this and last year has me feeling like a completely different person. I am actually excited for what's to come as it's going to really put us in it, and show us what we were capable of all along and may have never knew it!

Good advice on the stretching Andy! Cannot recommend yoga enough, having had back surgery I never thought chopping wood for hours or lifting heavy things would be a possibility but I'm going strong! New fascia/gutters first then wood stove is 2019's major goals for me.

@Andy F Thanks for letting me know about the seed ambassadors thread I'll give that a look now :). And good point I didn't consider that to be the lining on the inside, assuming makes an ass out of me mostly

As far as what I did today, have been playing lumberjack as it's an amazing workout addition, I want to have enough wood saved here soon that my neighbors start to eventually question what the hell they don't know ;). Have been forcing myself to write down some survival knowledge everyday or every other day, learned how to make some Kilju for disinfectant (or god forbid to drink and try to stay warm), next I want to learn how to make yeast myself. Have been taking notes from the grow grow grow section lately too