What did you do to prepare today?

What did you do to prepare today?
Kink

Re: What did you do to prepare today?

#231 Post by Kink » Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:35 pm

@Andy F yeah the dome does seem like a better choice logically, plus it could be repurposed as a greenhouse if you needed to. Tipi seems more hobby/shits and giggles filled. I question the reasoning for not covering the poles in that simplydifferent link and instead using the inside, seems like less space that would be available for the trade off of not living with rods that could just be wrapped with something soft to protect you, and could even be used for mounting things on the inside.

Good to know we are able to speak our mind here and feel free doing so, not many places left you can even talk about those things and not catch heavy flak or be silenced altogether.

Found some seeds my grandpa left, a whole ton of garlic bulbs along with zucchini, tomato, peppers, etc that I sealed today, would love to keep his lineage going if at all possible. Might even buy some extra store bought seeds and seal those for bartering later on down the road. Really considering buying a bunch of survival equipment like crank flashlights, solar powered battery banks not only for myself but to trade/sell later on when the demand increases

Andy F

#232 Post by Andy F » Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:50 am

@Kink Over in the thread "Seed Ambassadors" is posted how to save seeds. It seems as though it has been an issue in recent few years for larger seed storage. They had tested their seeds for sprouting & they did not. I think they test seeds annually.
We may need to pay attention to how best to store our seeds.

Speaking of seeds, over at Bob's Red Mill main website, in their FAQ's there are only a few seeds they stated will not sprout. I have some hard red wheat from Bob's, never tried his before, but I will test them soon.

Domes. Are you talking about the "liner" he suggested for lining inside the dome? If anything, it would give a useless air gap insulation, but it'd be depending on the inside & outside fabric etc. I have not spent enough time at the Dome website so i can't really critique. He does have an extensive website, worth looking at more. But I will, & I'll figure out the good ways. Yes, TePees are least transportable for me. Dome breaks down far easier.

I am heading for sleep NOW! Tired...
"Conspiracy Theorist: One who asks legitimate questions about shady activities of people who're well known to be liars." https://www.archive.org :mrgreen: http://www.secretsinplainsight.com/

Andy F

#233 Post by Andy F » Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:58 pm

A Toddy?
Up nice & early, checking my ToDoList for hopeful cross outs today. Balancing out the physical to sit-down.
"Conspiracy Theorist: One who asks legitimate questions about shady activities of people who're well known to be liars." https://www.archive.org :mrgreen: http://www.secretsinplainsight.com/

dirtmurphy

#234 Post by dirtmurphy » Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:04 pm

Balancing out the physical to sit down? That's smart! Wish I would have been doing more of that over the past couple of days. I'm so tired and hurt all over. Too much shoveling!
The contractors had to reschedule our chimney installation due to the snow. We aren't getting it until next Tuesday. I keep saying that it's ok, but it's really cold in here and frustrating to think that we have to wait several more days before we can get warm.
There's so much to learn and do. Kink brought up the point that it's hard to figure out what to do next, what's most important. Here's my suggestion. Adopt a permaculture mindset. By that I mean, try to concentrate on projects that perform more than one function first. Take the woodstove for instance. I start all of my seeds indoors, most of them in the winter months. I have a hard time keeping seed trays warm enough for rapid germination. The stove will keep us and the seed trays warm so not only is our shelter going to be more comfortable but our food production will also benefit. Also, it's a good idea to tackle at least one big project every year (I'm thinking about Kink's faschia and gutters). The way I see it, it will be harder to afford things in the near future, so try to knock out as many big ticket items as possible, particularly the ones that will only cause more problems as time goes on. And let's not forget picking up the skills we need to keep ourselves fed. Providing ourselves with food isn't easy. There are a lot of skills to pick up along the way. Just remember that you don't have to learn and do everything at once. If you try that, you're going to freak out and that won't help anyone one bit.

Andy F

#235 Post by Andy F » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:48 pm

dirtmurphy wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:04 pm
I'm so tired and hurt all over. Too much shoveling! Don't give yourself a heart attack. Do stretching - Shoveling snow is extremely hard!
but it's really cold in here...wait several more days before we can get warm. Can you put small electric heater into one room to use as warm refuge?
Kink brought up the point that it's hard to figure out what to do next, what's most important. Make lists.
permaculture mindset You're right.
tackle at least one big project every year harder to afford things in the near future I noticed prices rising on all things in recent weeks.

Providing ourselves with food isn't easy.I'm still ga-ga about >7,000 potatoes.
you're going to freak out and that won't help anyone one bit. Aging has blessings, at a certain age you've already worn out the freak. After that, you won't freak. It wastes precious energy. :)
Here a prep, there a prep, every day is prep prep. It all adds up within 2 days to 7P's.

Kink

#236 Post by Kink » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:47 pm

@dirtymurphy I completely understand what you're going through without heat, last year managed to go 2 months with no furnace and it was rough but not the end of the world, but I couldn't imagine having to do it with this year and what's yet to come. Great points on targeting the big things, you are very right and I'm now going to take your guys' seasoned advice and not over think and stay in the now on what I can do productive. What you're going through with the snow shoveling really reminds me of how blessed I am for the equipment my grandfather managed to acquire before passing, just put a new carburetor on the leaf blower totally forgetting it can function as a snow blower :o. It's hard still because everything I touch he had his hands in but I'm so very grateful to have been given most of what I need, my spiritual growth between this and last year has me feeling like a completely different person. I am actually excited for what's to come as it's going to really put us in it, and show us what we were capable of all along and may have never knew it!

Good advice on the stretching Andy! Cannot recommend yoga enough, having had back surgery I never thought chopping wood for hours or lifting heavy things would be a possibility but I'm going strong! New fascia/gutters first then wood stove is 2019's major goals for me.

@Andy F Thanks for letting me know about the seed ambassadors thread I'll give that a look now :). And good point I didn't consider that to be the lining on the inside, assuming makes an ass out of me mostly

As far as what I did today, have been playing lumberjack as it's an amazing workout addition, I want to have enough wood saved here soon that my neighbors start to eventually question what the hell they don't know ;). Have been forcing myself to write down some survival knowledge everyday or every other day, learned how to make some Kilju for disinfectant (or god forbid to drink and try to stay warm), next I want to learn how to make yeast myself. Have been taking notes from the grow grow grow section lately too

dirtmurphy

#237 Post by dirtmurphy » Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:15 am

We haven't had heat other than space heaters for years now. The wood stove has been a long time coming! And I did stretch and didn't try to do everything at once but there's just so much of the stuff! There are still several inches on the ground and we've been above freezing for several days now. I'm taking a much needed break and letting nature handle the rest. And yes Andy F, age does have it's benefits :D . Maybe I'd like to be a touch younger in body, but I'd love being a touch older in experience :lol: I guess that's one of the reasons I'm here with y'all - reaping the rewards of your experiences!

Andy F

#238 Post by Andy F » Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:16 am

Tador?
I had lunch, baked Home Fries with dehydrated Vinegar powder sprinkled on top w cracked pepper. Savory & YUM!
Enjoying reading forum, commiserating with you all, have been stuck in the Library all afternoon. Category #1 is CPUSA historical records, then 1600-1800s ancient Whaling vessels & Schooners. Also hunted down GSM books for Permaculture etc, put those in PDF Zone.
Listening to music really LOUD, rockin' da strut :lol: Laughing a lot watching Apples dehydrate. Had plain oatmeal with the 1/4'd bananas, pretty hearty breakfast, a bit of Nutmeg YUM! I felt some good energy all day, or it was crack (pepper) :D
Put 50 lbs rolled Oatmeal on my Buy List.

Don't underestimate a teaspoon of Baking Soda for those sore muscles a couple times a day with lot of water, but cut back on salted food if you do.

Elew

#239 Post by Elew » Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:05 pm

Today I cut out 5 bags and cut alot of fringe...I have scissor blisters now :P

But the most exciting thing today, is that a guy I met made me an ulu that fits my hand! Super exciting. I have my grandmothers, but my hands are really small so it doesn't really fit. I have to be careful when I use it and the point sticks out too far and can poke my wrist if I swing it too far. So the little one is the one he made me, along with a hook to put on the wall so I can keep the blade safe in the RV while not using it.

Andy F

#240 Post by Andy F » Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:03 am

Teddy?
Got a few things done outside early, then took a nap. Past few days were busy.
Working the plan, adding to the ToDo and Buy List.
Working on reviewing lists of items I don't have over at the Top Prepper websites.

Wow @Elew those cutters are nice nice nice! Unique weapon in a face to face. He did a good deed making one especially for your smaller hands. You'll enjoy using it for many years ahead and will thank him over and over, silently. Best cutting & clipping scissors I have are 3 Ginghers, they're beautiful tools. I got them all at honest half prices at a good sale 10 years ago.

Recently, I purchased 20 pairs of folding scissors at 71 cents each, am saving for bartering. They're small and easy to store. I sharpened them and they cut good. When people need them, they will be a good trade, will oil them lightly & seal in vacuum bags. Most of my barter items, so far, take up little room, or are stored in my head's HD & downloaded at will :D

This evening I'm tuckered out, now just lolling about aimlessly.
Edit: Teddy I learned something new about our Forum, you hover Cursor over an unopened thread heading, it will say "No Unread Posts", if it says "Unread Posts" then you've missed a post. :lol: