What did you do to prepare today?

What did you do to prepare today?
Elew

Re: What did you do to prepare today?

#241 Post by Elew » Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:20 pm

I am super excited for it Andy, and I agree, I will be thankful for many years :)

Today, I am practicing balance, breathing, and keeping on with the daily while dealing with an emergency.

Last night, 2:30 am, I got a call from the emergency room. My middle daughter was in a pretty bad car accident, she got T-boned...car totaled, broken leg, multiple pelvic fractures, lacerated kidney, face and tongue wounds...but she will be okay. She somehow managed to not hurt her head, spine is intact, and she was never in critical condition.

I spoke with her on Wire, and she is coherent...so I will not be going to the hospital. I need to stay here and work. Her life is going to be very different though...she may loose her apt, she now has no car because she had zero insurance (she couldn't afford it), so getting to work after she heals will be a challenge. But thankfully her 6 year old was not in the car...he is with my sister on the east coast, and so there he will stay, safe and sound.

Breathing, and working..."children are wonderful, children are great"...has been my mantra for years ;)

dirtmurphy

#242 Post by dirtmurphy » Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:47 pm

I'm sending my love Elew.

Andy F

#243 Post by Andy F » Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:19 pm

TaDah?
Oh no! @Elew My heart goes out to her, and you, those repercussions are so life changing, stress. I'll say prayers for her to get mended fast, and prayers for all your family. My Kid got T-boned too, totaled his car but he was okay. Awfully dreadful feeling for parents to get the call.

Yesterday, I was using the thin rubber sheet. I thought of Elew and her new cutting tool. Sure would give a good grip. Somehow it prevents hand tweaks when opening tight jar lids. I'll send you a 6" piece of it (soon).

I'm on a binge to "learn more" about maximizing use of dehydrator.
Found a good video on drying fresh eggs https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMwrc1nlSCA
That lady is really fun to watch, she has a good lineup of different topic vids :D Will try to do eggs after store trip.

Onward preppers!

Kink

#244 Post by Kink » Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:12 pm

Oh my god Elew, that's horrible :( I hope she heals fast and that you and that your family are getting through this in good spirits. I will be praying for you all.

Those cutting tools are amazing though, gives me inspiration for the antlers I have. Good to see everyone still keeping on, have been working mostly and preparing for the coming snow in the east coast for christmas. Didn't have a chance to go snowboarding last months snow but I hope there's enough for me this time.

Elew

#245 Post by Elew » Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:42 pm

Thanks guys :) She is going to be okay...if it was going to happen, best it happen while we still have intact emergency care.

Kink, the blades are cut from old saw blades, for the carbon steel so they hold a nice edge...then only beveled on one side. They make a good hide scraper that way too...

Andy F

#246 Post by Andy F » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:17 pm

Tolstoy?
@Elew, that is good news to hear about your daughter.

Pretty much figured out what most people seem to be concerned with, other than learning GSM science itself, but learning what they need to know, food security & DIY gardening etc, good communication, self defense & getting or learning new tools.

Organizing stuff - I had a few Mirror tiles hidden away. I used a glass cutting diamond scribe and snap-cut them into 4" squares with triangles cut off the 4 corners and covered sharp edges with the black Gorilla Tape. Mirror signaling is an old communication technique & is worthwhile to learn to do. Was used on ships, and on land. See PDF Zone. On Bartering, figuring out important but small non perishable things is my focus. I have a black cordura carry duffel bag and now storing the small barter items inside.

Enjoying my Sunday while we still have sun :D

Andy F

#247 Post by Andy F » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:57 pm

Toblerone?
mum.

iceagefarmer
Site Admin

#248 Post by iceagefarmer » Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:22 pm

Elew, really sorry to hear that -- and yet so glad to hear she is set to recover. You will both be in my prayers.

Christian

Andy F

#249 Post by Andy F » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:34 pm

Tonka?
Vanilla Beans. Just reading, watching more bananas dry, only 3 racks this time. Figuring out how to use citric acid powder (like used in canning) as a water bath for sliced apples to prevent darkening, I hope. Shaking my head at our border, the migrants, the drugs coming into USA.

I've been taking the 'zest" off of Lemons & Limes as I use them, putting them on a cut piece of silicone baking sheet and inside dehydrator with other fruits. My neighbor has numerous fruit trees, citrus & apples.
I plan on buying 1/2 gallon of Silica Crystals, 5 & 10 grams of them sewn inside muslin bags to hold them. For use in powdered dry foods. Looking at a Soy Sauce powder, similar to Vinegar powder. Also Tomato Paste "Powder" recipe :shock:

Andy F

#250 Post by Andy F » Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:03 pm

Today?
I walked away from cryptos for good. Seen enough & know better.
Pulled some weeds. Reviewing Geometry for fun.
In a project lull, waiting for drain parts delivery. Rewriting ToDo lists into one. It's a mess :P
End of year organize paperwork for tax preps 2018. Not fun.