What did you do to prepare today?

What did you do to prepare today?
dirtmurphy

Re: What did you do to prepare today?

#301 Post by dirtmurphy » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:13 am

@Andy F, good job on the scammer, cool comms idea, I'm with you about liars and thieves, and thanks for the links! I've been wanting to get around to building a solar cooker.
@Kink, you're really doing great. It's all about one step at a time. I've been working hard on bringing in firewood myself. I busted my axe handle today :(
On the bright side, I'm registered for the Organic Grower's School spring conference! Three days of quality instruction, including a full-day workshop on year-round growing taught by ira Wallace and Pam Dawling :D That conference helps me up my game every year.

Andy F

#302 Post by Andy F » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:50 pm

Saturnalia?
You're welcome DirtyMurphy :mrgreen: and Kink!

I've literally spent that past 2 hours searching for an ABS Project box for my 7 necessary wall warts.
I needed it to be at least 10" long * 5" * 2" depth - FOUND IT. I will be removing the warts from their casings (think Dremel saw, Kink lol) which take up too much room, cutting off the 110VAC garbage, just wiring power directly to the boards & mounting/wiring them inside the ABS box, and 7 switches.
For me, this is awesome good FUN :mrgreen:

I posted 2 movie links in the PDF etc thread with some explanations as to why, I realized later I ought to have posted them in Documentaries for GSM for survivalist hints as to what is to come and what is BS.
Oops!
I want to watch Episode 2, but I can't seem to sit down long enough today. I'm in and out.
Carry on!
"Conspiracy Theorist: One who asks legitimate questions about shady activities of people who're well known to be liars." https://www.archive.org :mrgreen: http://www.secretsinplainsight.com/

Elew

#303 Post by Elew » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:19 am

I'm with Andy on the thieves and liars, and I may be small, but woe to those who cross me ;)

If it were me, and they were going to be neighbors...I would go knock on their door and say, hey...If you really need wood and cannot cut your own, then we can trade or something. I don't have time to cut your wood otherwise.

If they were pissy about it, and did it again, I would pointedly set up a target near the wood, and be sure to practice while they were home...(no need for words)

But then I would also do something nice, like when I made jam I would bring them some. People have a harder time stealing from people who are nice to them, but possibly homicidal///mwahaha...keep them slightly afraid, and endeared at the same time and they won't know what to do.

But really, they might have some skill that is super helpful...
Last edited by Elew on Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Elew

#304 Post by Elew » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:55 am

So I've been stuck in Boulder the last couple days, because the roads home were closed with a foot + of snow. But I am home now :)

I'm happy to report, all of the plants were fine, fed, watered, lights adjusted where needed. Nyai is really getting it now that he's had a few good meals made from them.

Tomorrow is designated bread day, so I think pita and rolls, and mushu pancakes...and maybe pumpkin muffins. Then mushu because we have a cabbage and mushrooms to use, so I will make it and freeze some...and the basil has exploded, so making pesto too. Pesto keeps in the fridge or freezer. Also sunday night is yogurt night now...we start it at about 7, then by 8 it can sleep and it will be ready to drain in the morning...

I think Wed might be pasta and cracker day, because I use the roller for both
Mondays and Thursdays are kindof milk days, I start the nuts soaking the night before.

So I guess this is what I am doing this week...getting myself on a make it all yourself schedule so it becomes a routine that is second nature.

Andy F

#305 Post by Andy F » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:38 am

Soon Some Sun Day!
Good news Elew! Oh diabolical one...great minds think alike. You'd be a force to be reckoned with, keep that deer handled saw cutter handy. I once sewed pockets in all the right places, for my habits.
Nyai...I've been pondering how to pronounce Nyai.
Nee-aye
Nii-ee
Nii-aye
Which is it? :D

Today is a day of relaxation & reflection, I am watching an episode of an awesome 10 episode series "EUROPA The Last Battle" (they don't want you to see it). They don't get the Holy War and Baghdad archaeology part though. Otherwise, an amazing series with legitimate proofs. I should have mentioned the PsyOpsWarrior website contents was compiled by one of the tribe, so it is biased and plagued with too many Omissions.
Later I'll work on my lists, get back on track for next week's fun. Am now waiting for my "momentary ON switch" order delivery next week.
"Conspiracy Theorist: One who asks legitimate questions about shady activities of people who're well known to be liars." https://www.archive.org :mrgreen: http://www.secretsinplainsight.com/

dirtmurphy

#306 Post by dirtmurphy » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:32 pm

It's great to have you back Elew! Finally the gang's all here :D
I've been taking it fairly easy the past couple of days. I'm reading The Chilling Stars by Svensmark and You Can Farm by Joel Salatin.
I'm also reading about soap making. All of this wood ash needs to be used, so why not make lye soap?

Kink

#307 Post by Kink » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:07 pm

Actually found out it's the property owned by a good neighbor couple that are friends. I told her what happened and she thought it was all fenced off lol, now wants to fence it off and was seriously pissed off, would be nice.

Had to macgyver fix the wheelbarrow this morning since the stands rusted off, managed to fell a decent sized tree right as last nights snow storm hit and I was running for my logs that had to be at least 40+lbs each. Also started work on the solar cooker. Drilled out the bolts on the hinges to the glass door and the spring loaded clamps so I could remove the reflective aluminum then reinstalled them both. Plan I have in my head is for the hood and 1/8"" thick tempered glass door to act as a basin, especially since it's already completely sealed w/ gaskets + painted black for heat absorption/retention, and since it has 2, 6" openings on each side, I may be able to drill a hole on the bottom to put poles through on each side for a stand to get it higher off the ground away from snow/weather. Then insulate bottom/sides of the basin and then build a box around it with some plywood.

Only pic I grabbed from yesterday of the tree I felled before the storm, still no idea how to identify trees but I think this is maple.

I also made an Imgur gallery of my progress so far on the Solar Cooker :D.

Off to chop some firewood, keep it prepping or in Andy's case, keep it relaxed/chill :mrgreen:

Elew

#308 Post by Elew » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:31 pm

Kink, that is great news on the neighbor...and Nooooo...not the Maples!! :O they are food trees and take a long time to grow. If you have maples and get set up, you could be making syrup every year, never have to buy sugar again...and bring in some extra money. Syrup is so easy to do. You can get books and things to help you identify plants and trees, and with selective thinning and planting could create a food forest. ;)

Andy...you are good! Nee-aye would be the proper way, but we say Ner-eye more or less.
You like my passive aggressive techniques huh? :) It can be fun sometimes

It's good to be back Dirt, a little closer to our norm. I think the lye drip trough plans and soap making are all in the first Foxfire book too...very detailed. It could be book 4 though, so don't quote me on it. There is so much in those books. I need to get a new set and keep it this time. I've had about 4 sets over the years and then move, or give them to someone.

Kink

#309 Post by Kink » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:44 pm

Elew wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:31 pm
Kink, that is great news on the neighbor...and Nooooo...not the Maples!! :O
Thank you for the heads up :o. I'm trying to get a large variety of woods so I can experiment on which burns hotter/the longest. I heard hardwoods are good for that so have been trying to find maple/oak/ash trees. Also I've read that the good thing about hardwoods is that you don't kill them, when you cut them in winter time, it promotes regeneration in the tree itself and come spring will start to produce new shoots :) . But still gonna avoid the maples now, I'd like to try harvesting sap sometime

Andy F

#310 Post by Andy F » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:43 pm

H.R. 25 - Congress bill Introduced January 3, 2019. Has 27 Co-Sponsors (all Republican)
I put it here so everyone would have a fair chance to see it. I'll say, I'm not holding my breath. Too little, too late in the game.
https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-con ... ttachment]
PARTIAL text:

For Farmers SEC. 2. Congressional findings,
(c) Findings Relating to Federal Estate and Gift Taxes.—Congress finds further that the Federal estate and gift taxes—
(1) force family businesses and farms to be sold by the family to pay such taxes;

TITLE I—Repeal of the Income Tax, Payroll Taxes, and Estate and Gift Taxes

SEC. 101. Income taxes repealed.

Subtitle A of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 (relating to income taxes and self-employment taxes) is repealed.

SEC. 102. Payroll taxes repealed.

(a) In General.—Subtitle C of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 (relating to payroll taxes and withholding of income taxes) is repealed.

(b) Funding of Social Security.—For funding of the Social Security Trust Funds from general revenue, see section 201 of the Social Security Act (42 U.S.C. 401).

SEC. 103. Estate and gift taxes repealed.

Subtitle B of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 (relating to estate and gift taxes) is repealed.

SEC. 104. Conforming amendments; effective date.

(a) Conforming Amendments.—The Internal Revenue Code of 1986 is amended—
Attachments
H.R.25 January 3, 2019 Congress.jpg
H.R.25 January 3, 2019 Congress.jpg (126.73 KiB) Viewed 215 times
Last edited by Andy F on Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.