Today I worked, and tonight listened to
Dalai Lama - Nature of the Mind
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gO7RQi55asY

SmartLikeTruck

Re: What did you do to prepare today?

#82 Post by SmartLikeTruck » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:39 pm

In the last week:

Finished processing our pastured organically fed turkeys
Made a metric crapload of turkey stock from roasted necks and backs.
Brined and smoked a little roasting pig midsection that needed to come out of the freezer to make room for turkeys - nice break from turkey taste and smell overload :)
Ground up roasted boiled meat, skin & soft bones for dog food patties, added ground heart and livers to some for doggie biscuits that are drying in oven now.
Made two attempts at casting a test firebox for a 4 inch j-tube rocket core with experimental refractory mix, first mix started setting up before I could pour it, the second attempt the mold plug broke free and floated to the top. Hopefully third time is the charm.
Started a new compost heap to deal with the turkey offal.
Cut down a few willows and small poplars, thumb size and larger goes to rocket fuel, thumb to pinkie size goes through little electric chipper for pathway mulch in garden and greenhouse, pinkie and smaller along with twigs and leaves go through chipper for above compost heap.

dirtmurphy

#83 Post by dirtmurphy » Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:57 am

Very little went as planned today. I helped a neighbor who was having an emergency and cleaned my gutters in preparation for Florence. I also contacted a friend who is more directly in Florence's path to wish her luck and let her know that I'm thinking of her. I fermented some cabbage, harvested pawpaws to share with my neighbors, and foraged black walnuts.

Andy F

#84 Post by Andy F » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:12 am

Today, I spent time reading, a regular habit on Mondays to get through what I call Mundania.
I ordered some fresh Trinidad Moruga Scorpion seeds.
They measure in Scoville Heat Unit at 2,000,000 Units.
I use those sinfully hot peppers to make home made Pepper Spray.

DIY Pepper Spray Instructions here... http://survival-mastery.com/diy/useful- ... spray.html
"Conspiracy Theorist: One who asks legitimate questions about shady activities of people who're well known to be liars." https://www.archive.org :mrgreen: http://www.secretsinplainsight.com/

iceagefarmer
Site Admin

#85 Post by iceagefarmer » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:55 pm

Elew wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:51 pm
Can we add a section for Recipes and Cooking? Because it is something we can all add on to, and it is one thing to collect buckets of whole grains, but another thing entirely to cook well with them.
Thanks Elew -- Great idea!

I've been rapidly teaching myself how to cook squash, now that I have a ton of it! I saw you mention that I should can it too, but haven't yet gotten that far ;)

Christian

Andy F

#86 Post by Andy F » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:51 pm

Today I had a discussion with someone who asked me to do the same thing for them for the N'th time. It went like this:

Other: Please do it for me, I don't have time.
Me: If I do it for you, you'll enjoy it once. If I teach you how to do it, you'll be able to do it anytime you need it.
Other: I'll learn it another day. Just do it. I'm too busy.
Me: Excuse me, I have to get this call.
Other: But...!
Me: I'll have to do it for you some other day. Call me when you have & can take the time to learn.

Boundaries, need to be set.
"Conspiracy Theorist: One who asks legitimate questions about shady activities of people who're well known to be liars." https://www.archive.org :mrgreen: http://www.secretsinplainsight.com/

Elew

#87 Post by Elew » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:55 pm

iceagefarmer wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:55 pm

Thanks Elew -- Great idea!

I've been rapidly teaching myself how to cook squash, now that I have a ton of it! I saw you mention that I should can it too, but haven't yet gotten that far ;)

Christian
Awesome! Thanks Christian :) I will add some detailed posts on canning, and I am sure some others will too...This year I got twice as much canned, so our shelves are mainly filled with our own canned goods for the winter. It is really nice to know what's in them.
I need to learn fermenting and pickling...but this year I am planning on learning to make cheeses.

Elew

#88 Post by Elew » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:16 pm

For the past couple days I have been making apple sauce, and canning it. We use it on pancakes, with meats, or even just with sweet cornbread. I would say out of every two bags of apples I was lucky to find 4 apples with no hail bruises. These are from the early harvest though, so we will see what the next month brings for apples. They are still fine, you just cut the bruises out and keep going.

We got in two more 6 gal buckets of soft white wheat, and a 25 lb rolled oats for longer term storage.

And most importantly one of my daughters is asking which grain mill she should get. My kids are grown, and even though they grew up eating whole foods, when they moved out they started buying everything. I am relieved they are realizing it is better to make it and grow it themselves. It started because I kept sending them Basmati last fall, bags of rice from India...now they see what is happening to the crops and prices...and the questions keep coming :)

And our peppers are growing well!
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=27&p=369#p369

Elew

#89 Post by Elew » Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:56 pm

I just want to wish all our S Eastern people the best with Florence and the storm on her heels...we will be watching and thinking of you all <3

dirtmurphy

#90 Post by dirtmurphy » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:41 pm

I've been prepping for the hurricane for a couple of days now. My neighbors thought I was nuts until the meteorologists said last night that the track had shifted and now we're going to see more of the impacts here in the mountains. Now one neighbor has made a grocery run but everyone else I've asked has said that they haven't done anything to get ready. How crazy is that?
So now my prepping has shifted away from the outdoor stuff and is now focused indoors. I've been filtering and storing water. The next big thing is to do all the laundry and get some dog kennels set up to house the chickens in case anything terrible happens to the coop. I also need to take some pics for insurance purposes in case a tree falls on the house or greenhouse.
Over the past couple of days, coastal refugees have literally headed for the hills. Traffic has been nuts and pumps have been running out of gas. This has been a wild experience!