What did you do to prepare today?

What did you do to prepare today?
Andy F

Re: What did you do to prepare today?

#531 Post by Andy F » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:28 pm

I did daily steps. :mrgreen:

Cockroach Milk Could Be the Superfood of the Future
https://explorebiotech.com/cockroach-mi ... he-future/
Milking a cockroach isn't the most sensible option, so researchers from the Institute of Stem Cell Biology and Regenerative Medicine in India decided to sequence the genes which are responsible for producing the milk protein crystals to see if they could somehow replicate them in the lab. Even the idea of cockroach milk sounds "really out ...

dirtmurphy

#532 Post by dirtmurphy » Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:05 pm

That's a little less yucky, but still, ewww!
Yesterday I got a couple of bags of Daddy Pete's lawn and garden soil. I'm going to transplant more medicinal herbs as soon as I get time. I also picked up a new latch for the barn door. I'm going to fix that today. And I got another tent and picked up some materials for the black soldier fly bin which I hope to start working on this week.
Princess and the chicks are still doing well. She's been teaching them how to eat worms. Exciting stuff for them but nerve wracking for me. Being out in the yard all day leaves them open to predators but she knows what she's doing.
I've been harvesting wineberries. I need to wash and freeze them so we can have them later on.
I don't know guys. Those of us on this forum are obviously working to prepare for GSM events but Christian's last vid freaked me out a little. I really am concerned about feed costs. Organic chicken feed is already insanely expensive. I've been steadily implementing my plan to provide more of their food but will it be enough? Only time will tell.
Keep pushing forward y'all. It's all we can do.

Andy F

#533 Post by Andy F » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:23 am

In the years when I had small & larger bird farm, and had raised a few very large Blue & Gold Macaws, there was one season I planted regular whole seed style birdseed. I was fairly amazed at the number of seed crops I'd gotten from a few ounces of birdseed feed. I can't remember all the seed names, but millet was one. There was no style to the birdseed planting I did, more of blanket style in the last 3rd of the yard I had at the time. I had no interest in harvesting birdseed, but the air rats loved having meals there. I'd cut it and give the plant with seeds to the birds in open cages.

@dirtymurphy, consider planting birdseed as a seed supplement for the chickens. They will eat it up. It is prolific growing seeds with little care. The brand I bought was a popular brand, can't remember though.

Andy F

#534 Post by Andy F » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:52 pm

Friday?
Been busy with projects & jobbing. Prepping daily, some small things, added Ammonium Chloride (powder) to my bag of medicines.

I updated my Electrolyte recipe post, adding a new ingredient for a Preservative, Citric Acid.
Prep on, and Carry On!

Kink

#535 Post by Kink » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:41 pm

[dirtymurphy]@Kink, keep working man. Do the buses there have bike racks on front? I sure hope so for your sake.
Don't have a mountain bike, only a BMX bike and getting to the bus stop wouldn't be the issue with the bmx, but it would be a waste of time pushing that heavy bike back up the mile long hill, especially being exhausted after landscaping.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It has finally been beautiful out with more than just 2-4 hours of sun! We had a week long rain with maybe 10 hours total pause. Each rainfall was 1" with a possible extra inch. Roughly 2 or more total months equivalent for that week.
Have been tending to my first outdoor garden - so happy to finally have a garden of my own after watching my grandpa for 10+ years now. I started these around may 1st and am glad to share the progress they've made since then :D!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Garden Contents:
  • Muncher Cucumbers
    BeefSteak Tomatoes (Regret)
    Danvers Half Long Carrots
    Black Seeded Simpson Lettuce
Plants after they were transplanted on June, 8th:
Plants as of yesterday, June, 27th
Finally out some stakes in for the cucumbers:
You can also see there's only 1 sunflower left, the rabbits butchered then :lol:. My fault for not trusting my gut, we had some repellent, and chill peppers. Since I've put both I haven't seen anymore issues.
Peppermint plants I transplanted from a solo cup into the ground:
Potted Tomato Plants, 5 total, had 6 but gave one to neighbors:
  • I topped 3 and left 2 untouched, wanted to see if the growth delay on the topped ones would outperform once they have time to catch up. Also pruned off all the cotyledons to hopefully make the plant want to focus energy on growing new shoots
    Going to start foliar feeding with seaweed this week or so around dawn when the sun is not as direct to see what that helps with.
    Before they get completely root bound I'm going to move the two biggest plants into a 10 gallon, and some others into 5 gallons. If I can find a 15 gallon I'll do one plant in that
My largest peppermint plant, currently in a 1 gallon fabric pot, hoping to move her into a 5 gallon as well or so eventually:
And last but certainly not least, I found out my apple tree my grandpa planted some 15+ years ago, and that hasn't bloomed in at least 8-10 years has apples on it! :mrgreen:
This was so exciting to see, seeing as I haven't see apples on this tree since I was a little kid.
Image'
If anyone has suggestions/criticism I'd love to hear it! :)

Lessons/things I intend to improve next year:
-Start seeds much earlier than may with us entering the GSM and the amount of precipitation I'm seeing.
-Do a bigger garden bed, having a tiller and all, there's no excuse not to.
-Space out each plant further from each other, plant more.
-Do a faster growing tomato variety than beefsteak as these require longer grow periods that I just don't get in my zone + changing climate. Early girl/cherry/heirloom.
-Compost compost compost.
-Research no-till growing for potted plants. Do more potted plants as they are doing the best out of the other ones I planted due to being able to get them out of the rain and dry out.
Keep on preppin' guys, I consider you all as good as family and we get to go through this together as a community. Don't be unaware, read, contribute and get prepared!

Farside

#536 Post by Farside » Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:02 am

I bought a bag of feed barley for 10 bucks, and I'm trying to malt it. Today, I took the first batch of seeds that have sprouted to the point where I think they're ready, and I dried them in the sun on a tarp.

Now it's in the oven drying at 65C. When I get it down to a certain weight by volume, I'll know it's good for long term storage.

The next stage after that is to kiln it at higher temperatures. This gives the malt the desired flavor profile depending on the temperature.

When a seed germinates it produced enzymes that break down the starch to sugars. the aim is to kill the seed without destroying the enzymes.

Why am i posting this here? Because every resilient community needs a brewer! :D

dirtmurphy

#537 Post by dirtmurphy » Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:44 am

Yo Kink! You've done a lot!
Kink wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:41 pm
If anyone has suggestions/criticism I'd love to hear it! :)

Lessons/things I intend to improve next year:
-Start seeds much earlier than may with us entering the GSM and the amount of precipitation I'm seeing.
-Do a bigger garden bed, having a tiller and all, there's no excuse not to.
-Space out each plant further from each other, plant more.
-Do a faster growing tomato variety than beefsteak as these require longer grow periods that I just don't get in my zone + changing climate. Early girl/cherry/heirloom.
-Compost compost compost.
-Research no-till growing for potted plants. Do more potted plants as they are doing the best out of the other ones I planted due to being able to get them out of the rain and dry out.
You know I have suggestions!
As far as hitting the right planting and transplanting dates, all you need to do is search your county extension service's website for your area's planting guide. It will cover a wide variety of plants so as you grow more in the upcoming years it will continue to be an indispensable resource.
Here are links to two vids that cover soil health. This ties in directly to several of your goals for next year. Both Gabe Brown and Elaine Ingham are at the top of their fields (pun intended :D ) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yPjoh9YJMk
and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2H60ritjag Just a fun little note, both of these people have taught at the Organic Grower's School. I got to take Gabe's class but unfortunately not Elaine's.

Kink

#538 Post by Kink » Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:27 pm

dirtmurphy wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:44 am
Yo Kink! You've done a lot!
You know I have suggestions!
As far as hitting the right planting and transplanting dates, all you need to do is search your county extension service's website for your area's planting guide. It will cover a wide variety of plants so as you grow more in the upcoming years it will continue to be an indispensable resource.
Here are links to two vids that cover soil health. This ties in directly to several of your goals for next year. Both Gabe Brown and Elaine Ingham are at the top of their fields (pun intended :D ) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yPjoh9YJMk
and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2H60ritjag Just a fun little note, both of these people have taught at the Organic Grower's School. I got to take Gabe's class but unfortunately not Elaine's.
Thanks Murphy, really enjoying gardening this year it may just be my new favorite hobby! Thank you for the videos, I bookmarked them for watching asap :). Also thanks about the county extension service website, I'll look into that as well.

Checking on the garden this morning and found the bunnies started munching on the lettuce heads and ate up the last sunflower. Pulled the lettuce, washed it and put some in the fridge and the rest I sealed and put in the freezer.
Today's agenda is finishing a Kratky style hydroponic mason jar for growing lettuce heads, already worked out how I'm going to DIY the net pot and it looks completely doable + I found smaller party cups that fit perfect into the jar. Will post updates with my progress :D! After that, I want to try and repurpose some pill bottles I saved for a micro green setup.

Also early morning the other day (4am) I went up into the garden to find there were hundreds of warms above the ground, so I collected some for the potted plants. Today it stinks like decay and there's a bunch of dead worms that I didn't even go near..... anyone have an explanation for this?

Update: Threw together a test Kratky Mason jar. Also put a few peppermint cuttings into rooting enhancer to test with it.
The roots will be put down the holes, and I will fill in the top of the cup with coco coir/perlite. then I will fill the jar up with nutrient water just enough for the roots to touch but they can also breathe air. As the water is sucked up by the plant, they will grow down deeper and deeper thus getting larger. Once the water gets 20-30% low, you'd refill with more nutrient water. If you were doing quick harvests, you'd harvest when it emptied with lettuce/leafy plants.

Andy F

#539 Post by Andy F » Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:56 pm

Research Kratky Method of growing potatoes in buckets.

Busy, gotta go..................

Kink

#540 Post by Kink » Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:36 pm

Andy F wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:56 pm
Research Kratky Method of growing potatoes in buckets.

Busy, gotta go..................
Ha! It's my new addiction to be honest.

If you haven't seen this already, guy got 33 potatoes between two buckets :o