What did you do to prepare today?

What did you do to prepare today?
mariejoy1948

Re: What did you do to prepare today?

#321 Post by mariejoy1948 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:07 pm

Thanks Andy. That link was fantastic. I've bookmarked it and may use some version of it for my bars. Thanks again.

I'm still learning how manuever through this site.

Farside

#322 Post by Farside » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:25 pm

Today on the way to work I visited the hazelnut grove to see if the nuts are ripe. Not yet but they are starting to turn brown. Apparently if you stand any chance of getting nuts, you have to check them daily because the squirrels pick them as soon as they are ready.

I'm thinking more along the lines of having the squirrels do the work for me. If I provide suitable caching enclosures close by then maybe they will store the nuts in there.

I only want some for growing new hazelnut bushes, not for eating so the amount I want isn't so great that it has them go hungry.

mariejoy1948

#323 Post by mariejoy1948 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:05 pm

I am, gradually, stocking up. Today I ordered 50 pounds of flour.

At 71 yo, we use a grocery delivery service. It's @ www.peapod.com
I, also, use www.walmart.com Both serve our needs, well enough. :D

Watch out for ticks. They're much worse than they're given credit for. :o

anomalous howard

#324 Post by anomalous howard » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:06 am

Besides not wanting to be on the wrong side of the New Madrid if it went, another reason I bugged out of northern Delaware is because I knew that the area would become a focal point for more violent weather from 3 different directions as the GSM deepens. https://twitter.com/PWMwxME/status/1133787946803519489
Below is a house I lived in there during the 80s. Within 3 months after I moved, the upper floor got taken out. Fortunately the current owners were not home at the time. My sister provided the pictures.
At the same time, the county in SE Colorado that I moved to lifted their firework restrictions for the 4th of July for the first time in many years.
This area is starting to "green up".

So...I have taken Horace Greeley's advice, loaded up the conestoga and gone to "...where the skies are not cloudy all day." (A very telling line in an old, old song).
To start from scratch with a GSM/pole shift plan to pioneer.

The conestoga was a moving van...I took a car out to get some pre-settlement stuff out of the way, left it at a nearby airport and flew back to DE to close on my house there before flying back to close on my house here. The car I started in, blew up in Lexington KY and I had to buy another on the fly and still make my appointments. But I knew I was all good when:

https://www.siliconinvestor.com/readmsg ... d=32082996

taken from out front of my house

taken at 80 mph. Both pictures are the same weather system at different times and places. I was headed home from Albuquerque and this thing ran north, just to the west of me for much of the drive. When I pulled in my drive at sunset, i jumped out to get that dragon shot. It was the remaining clouds from the wall cloud and a section of shelf that the storm (to the right of the dragon) left behind after the wall weakened without dropping a tornado.

Still a long way to go.
I am also making significant progress on the "local outreach" front. Making important social connections.
I've even met a gentleman of 72 yrs. with a large extended family throughout SE CO who already knows "Doug R" and "Anomalous Howard". And I'm basically in the middle of nowhere.

I apologize for taking so long to update. I've been busy and I had to drop off some sites for a while due to time constraints. The pictorial and little bit of commentary is about 1/2 of a full update.
It's been a long "today" that started https://www.siliconinvestor.com/readmsg ... d=24491929
Now, for me, the page is finally turning to "tomorrow".
;-)

Farside

#325 Post by Farside » Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:36 pm

Yesterday I was processing broilers, and my friend asked me to explain what GSM was. We are both into permaculture and there is a lot of talk about global warming and the climate crisis, so he was curious about what I thought.

I told him that I don't agree with dumping toxic gick into the environment or the other destructive activities that various industries to and then walk away from. But as far as what the future hold, we as permaculture practitioners have to be right and put aside ideologies. We design systems that last for centuries, and often don't come into full production for a decade or more.

If we plan for one scenario, then the systems we install now will die if we get it wrong. I then explained some really simple concepts around the solar cycle, cosmic rays, and the earth's magnetic field. When I pointed out the electrical nature of our weather systems, he totally got it.

One down, about a billion to go :-)

Apple season is upon us here in Northern Ontario, and once these chickens are in the freezer, I'll be focussed on making gallons of hard cider. For now, I'll be collecting apples and storing them as they need a few weeks to soften and for the sugars to develop.

8greenbeans

#326 Post by 8greenbeans » Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:41 pm

New to the refugium :D Have been listening to Christian and 2 others for about 6 months now. This past week I've canned some pickles, peach pie filling, peach compote, peach jam, peach salsa, vegetable soup, and in the process of canning chili today.
Dehydrating onions, mushrooms, and greens. The goal is to can or dehydrate or both every day.
I'm about to go do my weekly shopping that puts ingredients and other items on the shelves for later use.

I have a question on sprouts, if I may. So, I love sprouts and know all about the nutritional wonder that they are. However, how does everyone here keep sprouting sustainable? Are you planting some for seed? If so, how much? Something else? (Maybe this should go in its own separate post lol!)

Glad to be here and can't wait to explore the forum!
☦️
Marine Corps Veteran.
USAF Mom. ANG Mom-in-law.
Army Daughter. Navy Niece.
8 Beans
5 Grandbeans + 2 due in July
3 Beans-in-law
1 MrBeans

Tom Kleffman

#327 Post by Tom Kleffman » Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:46 pm

Processing (canning) food this weekend. Have 6 gallons of tomato puree w/garlic and olive oil cooking down on the stove. Once reduced to half volume, will add salt and fresh herbs, and hot water bath can it in quarts. Once that is done, I have about 20# of pork butt I am thinking of potting in the pressure canner but will depend on what happens between now and then. Also working actively on reducing local wild large rodent populations, which the dog is happily eating as fast as they fall for the traps.

8greenbeans

#328 Post by 8greenbeans » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:20 am

It's been busy around here so this is more of a week's worth rather than a day. I reorganized pantry shelves where people just throw things willy nilly. Several more shelving units and cabinets around the house to go. It's giving me a much better view of our holes.
Prepped a gallon of tomatoes to be stewed and sauced. More coming in off the vine and from the local farmer down the street. I like to have 5 gallons for stewed and 5+ gallons for saucing.
Have dehydrated more mushrooms and added in Juliette tomatoes to make 'sun-dried' tomatoes. Tomorrow, leftover veggies are going in the dehydrator.
I've also been learning about varying ways to heat a greenhouse, bio-reactors, and hydroponics. I took my time sketching out what I'd like my greenhouse and the surrounding area to look like. Two days ago, I began the arduous task of implementing those plans. It will take me quite awhile to get it all done since hubby works very long hours 6 days a week now.
I've also been on another printing spree to make my most important digital files into hard copies.

As a side note, our anniversary is September 13. Hubby & I had reservations, that we kept in spite of everyone saying we were crazy for going out. (But we met on a Friday the 13th and thought this was highly appropriate for us.) Well, very few people were out and none of them acted crazy! We even got through the entire evening without a single child calling us! It was a very beautiful and lovely evening.
☦️
Marine Corps Veteran.
USAF Mom. ANG Mom-in-law.
Army Daughter. Navy Niece.
8 Beans
5 Grandbeans + 2 due in July
3 Beans-in-law
1 MrBeans

Garden Guru

#329 Post by Garden Guru » Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:07 pm

I assembled my greenhouse - finally! It is very nice but I will need to see how season extending it will be. There are steps I can take but I want to see how the greenhouse does on its own. I may erect two tunnel houses but that decision will be made next fall.

iceagefarmer
Site Admin

#330 Post by iceagefarmer » Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:38 am

HARVESTING !!!!!!!!

SEED SAVING!!!! can not keep up with the buggers. Trying different ways to store them. Dark "cosmetic jars" are the latest attempt, but only work for smallest seeds / or smaller amounts.

This remains my favorite thread !