What did you do to prepare today?

What did you do to prepare today?
iceagefarmer
Site Admin

Re: What did you do to prepare today?

#101 Post by iceagefarmer » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:58 pm

dirtmurphy wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:41 am
Today I canned apples and started learning about energy generation ( thanks Andy F)!
Did I miss an energy link? Any luck?

iceagefarmer
Site Admin

#102 Post by iceagefarmer » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:06 pm

Over the weekend I had a good friend visit. We've known each other 20 years; were inseparable as a guitar duo for many of them. It was difficult to connect. I am entirely focused on things that he isn't able to acknowledge or recognize. He told me about the $600 gaming chair that he got, with great ergonomics for long matches. We did not have any falling out, but it really served as a point of perspective on how much I've changed. I think it's most easily described as "Having a sense of purpose." but of course that sounds awfully judgmental. Perhaps it's that -- plus a sense of urgency. [EDIT: I'm not sure this was entirely honest -- I think I'm also afraid or weirded out that I've somehow lost touch with the "original" Christian. ]

It also renewed my appreciation for this community of folks who ARE able to appreciate where we are coming from. Thank you all for being part of it. It's an honor to be with you.

In other news, during that visit, I built and attached a run to a chicken coop I picked up off craigslist. Have heard so many horror stories from neighbors about losing birds to predators (skunks, hawks, bobcats, etc. etc. etc.) that I've attempted to build a veritable fortress, 2x4s -- I've done plenty of reading and reckon now I just need to get some feed, grit, bedding, and birds, and see how it goes. Open to any guidance folks have for first time chickens. ;-)

dirtmurphy

#103 Post by dirtmurphy » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:01 pm

I would LOVE to talk about chickens! First of all, are you wanting to buy chicks because if so you need to buy brooder equipment first. I use a hover brooder instead of a heat lamp for two reasons: it mimics a mother hen by providing a place for the little ones to duck under and just like plants, chicks need a certain amount of darkness. We heal when we sleep and growing is like healing. I put them under a full-spectrum reptile lamp during the day for Vitamin D synthesis.
Second of all, educate yourself. I read books by Patricia Foreman and Gail Damerow, took classes, and talked to Livestock Conservancy breeders for a couple of years before getting my first birds.
Fort Knox is great, just make sure that you allow for good ventilation. Cleanliness is not an option either. I clean my coop every three weeks or so and use nipple waterers to keep them from fouling their water. I've found that hardware cloth is the most predator-proof wire for coop and run enclosure. My run is covered to prevent death from above with a combination of metal roofing and the hardware cloth. Raise the coop off the ground to keep rodents from living under it. We never had rats until I got chickens. Their coop is raised but the "chicken barn" housing their grain and straw isn't, and the rats took up residence under it. Oh yeah, store your grain in a covered metal trashcan and only buy a month's supply at a time, as it loses nutritive value the longer it sits.
Whether or not to buy vaccinated chicks is a personal choice. I bought unvaccinated chicks the first year and lost nearly all of them to Marek's Disease even though I exercised strict biosecurity measures. Now I have to buy vaccinated chicks because Marek's is in the soil. The only way around that would be if I were only to bring adult birds onto our property to replenish our stock.
That's just what I'm thinking about off-hand. Let me know if there's anything else I can answer for you.

Andy F

#104 Post by Andy F » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:40 pm

@Christian, you have found a new purpose based on knowledge. It's only natural to move on with your life, that old letting go what doesn't work, letting go of friends but still be friends kind of thing is what you did, and acceptance of those changes is not being self-judgmental at all. I've had those feelings of being different now than I was back then. You can visit your younger self, in the mind. That's what memories are for and it's not a bad thing either. In every adult, there is all ages and experiences one gains in life. It's growth & development.

@dirtmurphy Good on you, for sharing all that good information. But, I'd have to hold, pet and love on those baby chickens regularly. Sit down in their court and play with them. They're so funny! Chickens, turkeys and ducks love eating sliced grapes and strawberries! :lol: Good training tools.

What did I do today? I read here, and there, and typed and thought and typed some more. Oh, I ordered a 3/4" & 1" Spade Drill.
Now working up a new BUY More Seeds list, for ordering towards end of September.

dirtmurphy

#105 Post by dirtmurphy » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:29 am

Funny that you should mention the importance of handling your chickens. I was thinking of adding that part just a few minutes ago when I was hugging Baby Einstein before putting her in the coop for the night! It not only helps with bonding but also makes it easier for you to monitor their health and treat basic veterinary issues.
Today I finally finished canning apples. I also made an appt to meet with a wood stove installer later this week. We haven't had heat for a number of years, but that's about to change! That was my main GSM preparedness goal for this year.

CreoleGenius

#106 Post by CreoleGenius » Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:33 am

If I handle certain hens too much, they start to moan and to 'present' themselves in a creepy way. Yes, I do try to be human with the chickens, but I will let them remain simple birds. I am raising several chicks from scratch after that one hen hatched them.

Andy F

#107 Post by Andy F » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:45 am

CreoleGenius wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:33 am
If I handle certain hens too much, ...
Quadruple's of entendre's from a few cleverly chosen words. I'm laughing! Out loud :lol:
How many eggs did your especially lucky hen hatch? :D You sure were the lucky one too, to have found the golden chicken.
(I love words)

iceagefarmer
Site Admin

#108 Post by iceagefarmer » Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:40 pm

Thanks for the tips dirt and Creole!

Andy F

#109 Post by Andy F » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:47 pm

Today, I caught up watching ORP & IAF videos, did some cleanup chores, did a wiring upgrade, wired a new extension cord with the typical farm type 12 VDC connectors, needing to use it for about 3-4 different 12V power tools, only use 1 at a time. Got annoyed at untangling a mess of long cords. I cut them all off :D Now I have only one 25' long cord to fool with.

I laughed a lot today, some :lol: at myself. Saw Christian's pic here, his duct taped mouth, and laughed again. I reread the last few member posts, did some more reading on Cold Times by Anita Bailey, then felt worried & more unprepared. Typed up a new Solar Energy post, not quite finished adding diagrams, small amount of cleanup & bit of info still needed. Need to come back to it tomorrow with a fresh mind. Feel free to critique or add, I won't mind a bit.

CreoleGenius

#110 Post by CreoleGenius » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:27 am

A person that has 12V power tools is one that thinks a lot about preps. I have some good inverters, but maybe they are not efficient use of battery power.