What did you do to prepare today?
Elew

Re: What did you do to prepare today?

#121 Post by Elew » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:41 pm

iceagefarmer wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:35 pm
Elew wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:35 pm
So, I am going to make them a book, on what Mom would do...something I can print out for them and put in a binder. I will make it in something like a PDF to share so other's here can print it, or add on too...whenever it gets finished
When can I get my copy? :)
As soon as I get some done :) I am counting on questions in the parent thread too! But I will bounce it all off you and my girls...

iceagefarmer
Site Admin

#122 Post by iceagefarmer » Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:06 pm

Last few days I've been working on clearing out an area. Moved/cut about half a cord of oak -- would like to have a decent supply going into winter so i'm not chopping in the cold with a newborn! With the wood moved, there are still some bricks and leftover building material that someone left down there. I'll be clearing that out today, then renting a tractor and leveling an area out there, and hope to build the greenhouse over the course of the next week. That's pretty ambitious but we'll see . . . it's still hot out there, but not for long ...

Hope all are well.

Christian

Elew

#123 Post by Elew » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:41 pm

You guys are working hard...

We got in more seeds, and I am teaching Nyai how to make hummus, as well as making a pile of terry/flannel baby wash cloths and small face cleaner pads. I got the fabric super cheap last summer because flannel is generally on sale in the summer...but it is time, everyone needs a new bunch.

Cotton is most likely going up...so extra fabric, thread, needles etc...this is the time to get them if you have not yet. And you guys, canvas, denim, cotton, flannel, and cotton jersey. You don't have to know how to sew to get the fabric you might need for clothing. It will be a hot item for trade, And there are always people like me around who can make whatever is needed if the materials are there. Get a bolt or two when it is on sale if you can...

dirtmurphy

#124 Post by dirtmurphy » Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:14 am

Today I re-seeded the back yard with a fescue/rye mix to improve forage for the chickens. I'm still busy laying brick for the hearth and getting quotes for the chimney installation. I also gave a neighbor Black-seeded Simpson lettuces so he can try to overwinter them. He is trying out hydroponics and learning to use a greenhouse so I'm wanting to encourage him however I can. I gave another neighbor King Stropharia spawn to inoculate a wood chip bed. There's only so much any of us can do, but helping others is at the top of my list. Other than that, I've mainly been working in my own greenhouse. Days are warm and nights are below freezing, so maintaining temps within a 20F swing can be pretty hard. I'm not starting any more projects for now because my dad's cancer is back and I may have to go to WV soon to take care of his dogs while he's in the hospital. I unexpectedly lost my mom a little over a year ago. Going home without her being there is really tough. I used to think that I loved WV, but now I know that I loved it because she was there.

Elew

#125 Post by Elew » Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:28 am

I've just been working as much as I can, because this next month with holiday sales...If I sell enough I can get the wood stove. I am determined...

iceagefarmer
Site Admin

#126 Post by iceagefarmer » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:50 pm

Hi folks,

I regret not being more present in this forum but did want to check in -- while my family is safe, our community is very close to and affected by the North California wildfires. I've been involved with some of the efforts to get donations over to evac centers. They are swimming in donations now (although still low on things like pet food -- it's really informative to see what people send, THINKING it is needed, vs. what is REALLY needed), although also having health issues. I'll post a video I just uploaded about this over in the events thread.

The smoke is positively apocalyptic. I need to go catch up on watering, and work on the greenhouse (I was able to get the frame up -- need to get the structure anchored before putting the plastic on though, particularly given these so-called "diablo winds" that spin up to create fire conditions.

And yes, we continue to actively consider where would be a safer place :p

Much love to all. I hope you are well, and am honored and humbled to be here with you!!!

GROW DELICIOUSLY - RESISTANCE IS FERTILE

iceagefarmer
Site Admin

#127 Post by iceagefarmer » Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:22 pm

Andy F wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:50 pm
(shortwave and pgp)
Can I ask what you are using for SW?

A late friend of mine had showed me years ago an incredible setup where he was passively monitoring messages on PSK across a few frequencies. I've been meaning to look into this, and the possibility of constructing a mesh network of operators sharing messages (much like BBS/FidoNet/etc. back pre-internet) to pass information back and forth in emergency situations.

Elew

#128 Post by Elew » Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:13 am

Today we scrapped the strawberries, the frost had damaged them too much :( we will try them again in the spring. So I have more basil started in their place for the winter, because we love pesto...

Then we got a new neighbor. She lives alone in an RV (with a couple cats), but her 12V system is not working. So Nyai is trying to help her sort that, and we loaned her a little Mr Buddy heater to get her through, and helped her figure out what she needs to stay warm and cook with no electric...we will have her self sufficient in no time.

Got some beans soaking, and then back to work...wood stove soon I hope :)

And I sorted out sewing machines and sewing tools. I get each of my kids one thing a year, usually a tool of some sort, and this year is sewing. So one girl wanted my old singer, which is a die hard machine built in 1994...but I have wanted a better machine that can sew heavy canvas for like 20 years, so was happy to pass along the old one. Then I got my two other girls basic machines as well...so everyone will be able to make clothes and whatever they need. Bags of 50 bobbins, pins, needles, etc...they will have enough to last a lifetime if they take care of them.

dirtmurphy

#129 Post by dirtmurphy » Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:16 am

I got a diamond saw blade today for cutting face bricks for the hearth. I also picked up a new tarp. You can never have too many of those! I harvested shiitakes and a Red Marconi pepper for breakfast burritos and a stir fry. We didn't get around to the stir fry today but it gives us something to look forward to tomorrow, right? I'll end up harvesting onions and kale to add to it. Other than that, we bought fabric from a quilting store that's going out of business (thought of you Elew!), and then I came home and watered in the greenhouse. We had no luck finding the right adapter for our wood stove today but hopefully will have better luck tomorrow.
I've come across a pretty good way to talk to people about sun cycles. I've been carrying The Weatherman's Guide to the Sun around town. Some people have noticed the book and have asked to see it. We flip through it together and talk about the science. That way, they're coming to me and asking the questions. I give them as much explanation as they can handle, and it's all good. I tell them to start storing and producing food at the end of the conversation and the reception to this advice has been good. No one has called me a dangerous climate denier so far! Let's just hope that the advice is heeded. It's weird talking to strangers on the street about this sort of thing (I'm an introvert), but if that's what has to be done, so be it.

Elew

#130 Post by Elew » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:49 pm

Yesterday I made a doll blanket for my oldest daughter's little girl, and am starting a doll bug out bag. She is 2 1/2 years old, so I tend to start teaching them by showing them how to take care of Their babies...

And today I am making kids mocs for the shop, and new pairs for our kids. It's like a kid week...

Making a batch of hummus, watering plants...feeling very domestic, it makes me want to do something funky to break the domestic energy, haha