What did you do to prepare today?

What did you do to prepare today?
Elew

Re: What did you do to prepare today?

#121 Post by Elew » Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:50 pm

Today, I ordered a nice German made hand drill I have been waiting to get for almost a year (me and power tools don't have a great relationship).

And I am working on a new web site to sell my work on, to free myself up from venues like Etsy who can control the ebb and flow of my sales on a whim. I think it will be good.

Andy F

#122 Post by Andy F » Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:41 am

I painted, and painted some more. I'm watching paint dry between coats,
I spent some time watching & listening to Rolf Witzsche channel. I could listen to Witzsche for hours IF I could stay awake.
He reminds me of my Grandpa, his stories and his voice timbre and calmness would put me to sleep.
As always, I ended up feeling relaxed, despite the worrisome topic of Grand Solar Minimum.
When someone rejects you, don't fear, or suffer, for they are probably not worth your time ~Unknown.

iceagefarmer
Site Admin

#123 Post by iceagefarmer » Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:01 am

The girls laid their first egg today. I call it the $400 egg, and from now on, they're free...

Everything I planted three weeks ago is thriving and I am extraordinarily grateful. It's still just a few heads of broccoli, some onions, beets, kale, cabbage, so nothing that will feed anyone for any real period of time, but these are my daily steps.

iceagefarmer
Site Admin

#124 Post by iceagefarmer » Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:03 am

Elew wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:50 pm
Today, I ordered a nice German made hand drill I have been waiting to get for almost a year (me and power tools don't have a great relationship).

And I am working on a new web site to sell my work on, to free myself up from venues like Etsy who can control the ebb and flow of my sales on a whim. I think it will be good.
Nice! I built a small workbench for my son, and he got a hand drill for his 5th birthday this week. Trying to give skills, not pieces of plastic..! The onslaught of plastic toys for American children is insane

Elew

#125 Post by Elew » Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:49 pm

iceagefarmer wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:03 am

Nice! I built a small workbench for my son, and he got a hand drill for his 5th birthday this week. Trying to give skills, not pieces of plastic..! The onslaught of plastic toys for American children is insane
Very cool! I love to give the kids tools and skills too...it is the best gift, that can never really break or wear out :)

Elew

#126 Post by Elew » Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:01 pm

I finished the last of the applesauce canning yesterday, so today I am re-organizing and getting all the canning stuff ready to go to the shed for the winter. Yay! Big canning pots take up alot of room in a 32' RV. It will be nice to open up the main room some.
I still need to do cranberries, but I will process them in a soup pot or something.

Yesterday I also painted the steel steps with stove black so the don't rust in the snow...

So today is organizing, filling custom orders, and winterizing some...and working. Hope you are all having productive fun days :)

Andy F

#127 Post by Andy F » Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:53 pm

Ya'll's stories are good to read & funny too! :lol:

Today I'm tired, it's Fried Day, waiting on UPS and kicking back & watching videos towards considering building a smokeless "Rocket Stove" with secondary burn function out of a steel Ammo case. I guess it's the secondary burn part that makes it burn smokeless.
I have 3 cases, only 2 are being used.
I can't decide which one to do yet :?: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=ammo+stove
When someone rejects you, don't fear, or suffer, for they are probably not worth your time ~Unknown.

Andy F

#128 Post by Andy F » Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:57 pm

iceagefarmer wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:01 am
The girls laid their first egg today. I call it the $400 egg, and from now on, they're free...
YAY for the Golden Chicken girls :mrgreen:
Jake & Irma's first egg was very small. They ran to me all clucking excited about that egg & it was still warm when I picked it up.
I think they were either proud lol or scared. I scrambled it, ate it in 2 bites.

dirtmurphy

#129 Post by dirtmurphy » Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:41 pm

I will always be excited about my angel eggs! Seriously, nothing is better. :D

Lonnie

Baby Steps: Powdered Power Greens and Saurkraut

#130 Post by Lonnie » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:58 am

So, my main focus on food preservation right now is dehydration and lacto fermentation. Today's happiness involved taking a couple of those plastic tubs of organic, triple-washed power greens and loading them in my cheap Nesco dehydrator. Once they are dry and brittle I put them in the food processor and turn them into a fine, green powder. I sieve out any tough stems and put the powder in a wide mouth canning jar. My understanding is that this retains nutrients and enzymes. I add this powder to smoothies, soups and individual servings of home made broth. Of course, the ultimate goal is to find an easy way to grow my own greens and process those. But, in the meantime, this keeps things from going to waste when I buy greens and we end up not eating them before they get slimey.

I've always made my own bone broth -- beef, chicken and lamb. Now I'm experimenting with dehydrating this to make my own bullion. The stuff in the store is mostly salt and, often, loaded with MSG. Yesterday's batch (my first) came out more rubbery than brittle, so I will need to keep trying. Meanwhile, I broke this stuff up as much as I could and put it in a small jelly jar. I will add it to soups or casseroles for added nutrition and flavor. I put any home dehydrated meat products like this in the freezer, including jerky. If there's a power outage it should be fine for quite a while -- unless it's in August.

I do plan on getting another laying flock going just as soon as I can figure out how to feed them more economically.

Mostly I have lacto-fermented cabbage for saurkraut and beets for kvass. Right now I'm attempting dill pickles. Unlike canned versions, these need to be refrigerated once the lacto fermentation process is well under way 3-4 days. But they have a pretty good "shelf life" compared to raw veggies. And, again, in a power outage they will still be okay for a while; just extra fermented.