What did you do to prepare today?

What did you do to prepare today?
CreoleGenius

Re: What did you do to prepare today?

#131 Post by CreoleGenius » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:57 pm

Even in the city, there are people profiting from 'micro-greens' horticulture, sprouting and tending for a week or two, till nutrients are optimal. My friend does this, but he also has row crops and containers. It would seem that the micro-green dehydration/powdering/packing model would generate high quality you could trade or sell.

Andy F

#132 Post by Andy F » Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:06 pm

Today, October 4, 2018 I'm reconsidering my food storage capabilities, utilizing my Food Saver and Food Dehydrator. I'm reconsidering sprouting seeds on a larger scale and using dehydrator to dry and store micro-greens, as Creole has suggested for using as a key bartering item.

I cannot afford the expensive model like CreoleGenius uses. I'm still using his suggestions above, to work out a do-able plan using what I have.
Thank you Creole, for your good ideas :idea:

I am also reading on Society & Ice Age history here at ResearchGate (RG has the best resources I've found yet):

Cooling and societal change during the Late Antique Little Ice Age from 536 to around 660 AD https://tinyurl.com/y8ge6k5m

I enjoy history, and knowing the WHY on the falls of various ancient and newer civilizations. It is true, climate has been a prime mover of peoples.
When someone rejects you, don't fear, or suffer, for they are probably not worth your time ~Unknown.

CreoleGenius

#133 Post by CreoleGenius » Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:22 pm

FoodSaver Vacuum Sealer V2244 System has the accessory vacuum port, which, with the standard mouth and wide mouth jar adapters, can vacuum pack mason jars safely. The V2244 comes in around US $65 and the accessory kit US $15/

Andy F

#134 Post by Andy F » Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:32 pm

CreoleGenius wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:22 pm
FoodSaver Vacuum Sealer V2244 System has the accessory vacuum port, which, with the standard mouth and wide mouth jar adapters, can vacuum pack mason jars safely. The V2244 comes in around US $65 and the accessory kit US $15/
You made me go look :lol: The one I purchased a long time ago, is V2420 and has the vacuum function & the tools.
I never used the vacuum part but I will have to look into getting it up and working. I figure I'd need to buy jars and lids that work to vacuum.

Sheesh, more to read and study to plan and as always more to buy.........does it ever end? Seems to me the easy answer is a big NO.

There is quite a bit of hidden history on American people who were the majority of the time self sufficient and self sustainable in USA, and the Industrial Revolution's big role in getting people off their land and in to jobs. Free Market Capitalism was a big part that got people to rely on small stores who gave credit, then gradually bigger chain stores for food & dry goods. The largest movements start out small and convenience was the biggest con. This was all a Socially Manufactured Consent for big businesses.

I won't likely live to see a reversal in my lifetime, but I tell my kids, you all need to keep prepping!
The GSM just might be a welcome catalyst to new independence.
When someone rejects you, don't fear, or suffer, for they are probably not worth your time ~Unknown.

Elew

#135 Post by Elew » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:23 pm

I imagine that years ago they would have preserved the dried microgreen powder mixed in lard then waxed, or wrapped in beeswax cloth...or something along those lines...

RC (my youngest) took me to see Dear Evan Hansen last night, and it was Amazing...so a little down time and fun :)

Today, it is snowing in Boulder...so well below 6000 ft. The leaves have not fallen yet, but we will see if it snows enough to matter...

Elew

Re: Baby Steps: Powdered Power Greens and Saurkraut

#136 Post by Elew » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:29 pm

Lonnie wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:58 am

I've always made my own bone broth -- beef, chicken and lamb. Now I'm experimenting with dehydrating this to make my own bullion. The stuff in the store is mostly salt and, often, loaded with MSG. Yesterday's batch (my first) came out more rubbery than brittle, so I will need to keep trying. Meanwhile, I broke this stuff up as much as I could and put it in a small jelly jar. I will add it to soups or casseroles for added nutrition and flavor. I put any home dehydrated meat products like this in the freezer, including jerky. If there's a power outage it should be fine for quite a while -- unless it's in August.
Getting that brittle dryness is why they add so much salt, as well as to preserve. Rubbery is fine, think of it like fruit leather :) Vacuum seal that rubber broth and it should be good for a year. It the packet puffs up you know it is no good...if not it is fine. If it puffs up, then next time add more salt, until you fine the right ratio to preserve it in the leather state...

iceagefarmer
Site Admin

#137 Post by iceagefarmer » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:39 pm

Just finished canning a ton of potatoes, squash, and pickles -- was feeling accomplished, only to return to the forum to see discussion of dehydrating bone broth! Sounds delicious and like a brilliant thing to have on hand.

Did you run through a process more or less like this? http://cradlerockingmama.com/how-to-deh ... eef-broth/

Elew

#138 Post by Elew » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:02 pm

Yay! Christian and co are canning :) good deal, you will be able to store so much more...

iceagefarmer
Site Admin

#139 Post by iceagefarmer » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:16 pm

Have missed a few days of updates - my grandmother passed earlier in the week, so have had less time to dedicate to preparing / publishing. It was not a surprise, so there is just loss, no trauma. Notwithstanding, death is always a healthy perspective check, and I just want to say, I really appreciate y'all here.

Much love.

Warmly,
Christian

Andy F

#140 Post by Andy F » Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:11 am

Christian, I'm sorry to hear that. Grandmothers are very special women. We miss them terribly, especially remembering their wisdoms of age & shared happy times. May she RIP.
Today? ZIP, nada, no prepping done. Hand wrote 3 letters to friends & enjoying a peaceful evening. Weather had turned colder here in AZ few days ago, was an overnight change.