What did you do to prepare today?

What did you do to prepare today?
Elew

Re: What did you do to prepare today?

#131 Post by Elew » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:16 pm

Andy F wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:31 pm
Today? Only thinking using Science, Metallurgy, Laser technology and theorizing about fires.
Reminding myself to revisit Chemistry...to revisit how Thermite is made using Aluminum and Iron. Once lit, by fire or other forms of heat, like a Laser, it catches fire incredibly quickly and Thermite burns at 1800 degrees Fahrenheit, or higher. :lol:
hahaha, in a pyro mood, eh?

I also got a few more storage spuds...thanks for the heads up Christian! We are not ready yet to grow them, but I will be getting buckets next week to get them ready...

Elew

#132 Post by Elew » Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:39 pm

I decided today, that I am no longer calling it Climate Change while talking to other people...because they have effectively attached that phrase to AGW. It's so muddied that no one in the general public understands the difference.

I am only going to call it climate cycles...

Elew

#133 Post by Elew » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:50 am

hehe, Andy, I get in fire moods sometimes too...I actually love fire. The things I like doing the most, torch work, casting, pyrography, cooking, candle and wax work...but fire fascinates me as much as the ocean does. It must be the Aries influence :)

I just got a couple quarts of Barge today for the same reasons! I like shoe goo, but with all the footwear we make we go through quite a bit, so barge is easier for us. I wonder if it would work for the wires too? It does stay flexible...they could be close to the same thing.

and yes, exactly on the climate change quagmire....

Elew

#134 Post by Elew » Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:50 am

Andy F wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:14 pm
Today? Studies.
In revisit of the Southwest states and Arizona tree loss situation and the ongoing drought which has not been resolved even after the Canadian NAFTA water dealings which are hidden from USA public. ASU is also focused on AGM rather than GSM.
"The high heat that accompanied the recent drought was the underlying cause of death for millions of pinyon pines throughout the Southwest, according to new research. At study sites in Arizona, Colorado, New Mexico and Utah, the team found that from 40 to 80 percent of the pinyon trees (Pinus edulis) died between 2002 and 2003." https://uanews.arizona.edu/story/underl ... e-revealed
I put a response here last night but it doesn't really belong in this thread, so I moved it here viewtopic.php?f=13&t=444

:)

Elew

#135 Post by Elew » Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:55 pm

Happy Turkey day if you celebrate it... 8-)

iceagefarmer
Site Admin

#136 Post by iceagefarmer » Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:59 pm

Elew wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:55 pm
Happy Turkey day if you celebrate it... 8-)
Very grateful to be here with you all! Happy Thanksgiving.

Christian

Elew

#137 Post by Elew » Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:43 pm

Last night I found some good vintage patterns for kids shearling coats, vests, and hats...and am looking for adult patterns. They are really hard to find now...they used to be everywhere, but now only 2,000.00 pre-made coats...sigh. I will have to look for some old coats at the thrift shops, or find some good regular coat patterns and modify them for fur.

I already have my own patterns for slippers, boots, and winter mocs...as well as mittens, gloves etc...so with the coats and hats I should be able to keep people warm. I will probably make a few to sell in the shop to earn money to buy a good supply of pelts for later too.

Then I got an 8 lb bag of zinc oxide powder (black friday online is good for some things ;) ) I can add it to baby butt cream, and make good sunblock with it. If they put it on a good sale again I will nab another 8 lbs.

I still need to gather a back stock of heavy waxed linen thread, extra leather needles, and hides when I can. I often trade hides, or meats for winter hunting mocs...if there are any hunters/tanners in the house :P

Elew

#138 Post by Elew » Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:50 am

Paper, pens and pencils...really good thought...

You laugh at the baby butt cream, but all the babies near me when shtf will be happy and comfy :lol:

And you are exactly right on the sales. The thing is, the discounts and free shipping added into the prices has become the norm, so a 4x or 5x markup for resellers is becoming standard. The end result is that at sale prices you get the item for the actual price it should be.
I think The Century of the Self should be mandatory viewing in all schools ;)

Today I was talking with a friend about the fur coat pattern problem, and now she is sending me a bunch of Inuit parka patterns, and mukluk patterns for babies up to adults, male, female...feeling very grateful for good people <3

Now I am working on a trade for some pelts...

Elew

#139 Post by Elew » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:01 am

Sorry I fell off the earth there for a few days, just the season to work alot...

I got in a bunch of leather so have been on a little kids moccasin making binge (I will try to do a post on how to make mocs etc)

For trade...a Good trade is one where everyone benefits. So 3 or four pelts today might be traded for one pair of winter hunting mocs...or 4 12 sq ft hides...but the same in 10 years these same pelts and hides might be traded for a sack of potatoes. It depends on who you trade with, what each has, what each needs. I traded a cup for a 5 lb bag of coffee beans once, because on the road I always bring an extra cup or two, and met someone who really needed one.

There are no set rules for trading, and value is more so based on need, skill, etc...vs monetary value. What makes it a Good trade, is when everyone walks away better off than they were before trading.

Elew

#140 Post by Elew » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:02 am

Andy F wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:18 am
Today?
I am working through AnomalousHowards entire post he linked us to here https://www.siliconinvestor.com/readmsg ... d=31911346
I'm about half way. It is a long post :lol: He got me beat. However, he does put together highly rational posts based on Science. To get the whole picture, posts need to be longer and not show just one TREE. Can't expect one sentence.
To sit that long, I had to dig out the Oil Heater and put under desk. It has been getting colder in AZ.

@Elew That is interesting on trading pelts. Can you make fur lined vests? I had one, gave it away after settling in AZ. I'm in market for another one. Was looking on Etsy (are all icky)
I cannot wait until Jan, when I hopefully have more reading time!

So when I sit working/reading or whatever, for long periods in the CO cold, I fill a hot water bottle with super hot water and then put it under my feet a put a blanket over my lap to trap the heat...Works great for a few hours ;)

I can make them, but I don't have a good vest pattern for men right now...still looking though. I have Nyai on the hunt for old leather vests in the thrift shops too. If you find an old one that fits well, you could send it to me for the pattern, and I would consider that a fair trade for a new vest :) Patterns are useful for years!! Are you looking for shearling? or more of a sherpa lined with top grain leather for the shell?