What did you do to prepare today?

What did you do to prepare today?
dirtmurphy

Re: What did you do to prepare today?

#171 Post by dirtmurphy » Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:16 am

I got a diamond saw blade today for cutting face bricks for the hearth. I also picked up a new tarp. You can never have too many of those! I harvested shiitakes and a Red Marconi pepper for breakfast burritos and a stir fry. We didn't get around to the stir fry today but it gives us something to look forward to tomorrow, right? I'll end up harvesting onions and kale to add to it. Other than that, we bought fabric from a quilting store that's going out of business (thought of you Elew!), and then I came home and watered in the greenhouse. We had no luck finding the right adapter for our wood stove today but hopefully will have better luck tomorrow.
I've come across a pretty good way to talk to people about sun cycles. I've been carrying The Weatherman's Guide to the Sun around town. Some people have noticed the book and have asked to see it. We flip through it together and talk about the science. That way, they're coming to me and asking the questions. I give them as much explanation as they can handle, and it's all good. I tell them to start storing and producing food at the end of the conversation and the reception to this advice has been good. No one has called me a dangerous climate denier so far! Let's just hope that the advice is heeded. It's weird talking to strangers on the street about this sort of thing (I'm an introvert), but if that's what has to be done, so be it.

Andy F

#172 Post by Andy F » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:01 pm

Today?
Nothing like relaxing on a Sunday, reading a lot, sharing, cooking, making a new ToDo List for next week. I want a busy and focused week ahead. I got up at 3am, started slow cooker frijoles de la oya.
Finished a paper :D
Now, I will work on SW radio, learning all them new (to me) buttons!
Funny thing, remembering using SW, night time was always the best time for good reception. That has not changed. When I was 4 or 5 y.o., my Father bought a nice 2nd hand nightstand size/style cabinet Shortwave "Tube" radio by my bed. So from a young age until the age 17, I'd fall asleep with my head on top, and listened to World Music, mostly Classical from all over the SW world. That radio was my first experiences in electronics, on Tubes, having had to change a few burned out tubes in it over the years.
So............

Alan Roe's Guide to Shortwave Radio World Music programs
Download PDF guide here https://swling.com/blog/wp-content/uplo ... -15-v2.pdf
I have a Library. Winter bookworm on history. Anarchist. https://www.archive.org :mrgreen:

Elew

#173 Post by Elew » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:49 pm

Yesterday I made a doll blanket for my oldest daughter's little girl, and am starting a doll bug out bag. She is 2 1/2 years old, so I tend to start teaching them by showing them how to take care of Their babies...

And today I am making kids mocs for the shop, and new pairs for our kids. It's like a kid week...

Making a batch of hummus, watering plants...feeling very domestic, it makes me want to do something funky to break the domestic energy, haha

Andy F

#174 Post by Andy F » Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:31 pm

Today? Only thinking using Science, Metallurgy, Laser technology and theorizing about fires.
Reminding myself to revisit Chemistry...to revisit how Thermite is made using Aluminum and Iron. Once lit, by fire or other forms of heat, like a Laser, it catches fire incredibly quickly and Thermite burns at 1800 degrees Fahrenheit, or higher. :lol:
I have a Library. Winter bookworm on history. Anarchist. https://www.archive.org :mrgreen:

Elew

#175 Post by Elew » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:16 pm

Andy F wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:31 pm
Today? Only thinking using Science, Metallurgy, Laser technology and theorizing about fires.
Reminding myself to revisit Chemistry...to revisit how Thermite is made using Aluminum and Iron. Once lit, by fire or other forms of heat, like a Laser, it catches fire incredibly quickly and Thermite burns at 1800 degrees Fahrenheit, or higher. :lol:
hahaha, in a pyro mood, eh?

I also got a few more storage spuds...thanks for the heads up Christian! We are not ready yet to grow them, but I will be getting buckets next week to get them ready...

Elew

#176 Post by Elew » Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:39 pm

I decided today, that I am no longer calling it Climate Change while talking to other people...because they have effectively attached that phrase to AGW. It's so muddied that no one in the general public understands the difference.

I am only going to call it climate cycles...

Andy F

#177 Post by Andy F » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:52 pm

Today?
I'm laughing a lot with Elew's "pyro" comment :lol: Also taking Elew's advise, stopping the use of "Climate Change" as I feel it also confuses others and reinforces the big CC lie.

Late last night on SW Radio, I picked up
Cuba en Espanol on 6.061 Mhz,
:lol: hilarious convo on "Season of the Witch" & "Liberal Women & Blue state's voter" on 6.114 Mhz,
Gospel Singer's music on 7.315 Mhz,
Asian language station on 1.904 Mhz.

I bought a 6 pack! NO, not beer :lol:
A 6 pack of Shoe GOO Adhesive, 3.7 fl oz tubes. I have to put each tube in a Seal A Meal to preserve them alap. I'm not a fan of Amazon, but sometimes it is best. One, can't always find locally, Two, lower cost if buying in quantity.
WHY did I buy Shoe GOO? Bartering my skillz. Able to do Shoe repairs. It has many other uses.
Shoe GOO is very good for flexible reinforcing bend points of small wires to their joints onto plugs.

Elew

#178 Post by Elew » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:50 am

hehe, Andy, I get in fire moods sometimes too...I actually love fire. The things I like doing the most, torch work, casting, pyrography, cooking, candle and wax work...but fire fascinates me as much as the ocean does. It must be the Aries influence :)

I just got a couple quarts of Barge today for the same reasons! I like shoe goo, but with all the footwear we make we go through quite a bit, so barge is easier for us. I wonder if it would work for the wires too? It does stay flexible...they could be close to the same thing.

and yes, exactly on the climate change quagmire....

Andy F

#179 Post by Andy F » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:14 pm

Today? Studies.
In revisit of the Southwest states and Arizona tree loss situation and the ongoing drought which has not been resolved even after the Canadian NAFTA water dealings which are hidden from USA public. ASU is also focused on AGM rather than GSM.
"The high heat that accompanied the recent drought was the underlying cause of death for millions of pinyon pines throughout the Southwest, according to new research. At study sites in Arizona, Colorado, New Mexico and Utah, the team found that from 40 to 80 percent of the pinyon trees (Pinus edulis) died between 2002 and 2003." https://uanews.arizona.edu/story/underl ... e-revealed

Nov 21, 2018 - In other news at UA & Nature, from 1901 to 2015, sea level rise = 48.5mm. Just over 1 & 29/32" sea level rise, since 1901. We're all gonna drown :?: Buy a boat :idea:

Elew

#180 Post by Elew » Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:50 am

Andy F wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:14 pm
Today? Studies.
In revisit of the Southwest states and Arizona tree loss situation and the ongoing drought which has not been resolved even after the Canadian NAFTA water dealings which are hidden from USA public. ASU is also focused on AGM rather than GSM.
"The high heat that accompanied the recent drought was the underlying cause of death for millions of pinyon pines throughout the Southwest, according to new research. At study sites in Arizona, Colorado, New Mexico and Utah, the team found that from 40 to 80 percent of the pinyon trees (Pinus edulis) died between 2002 and 2003." https://uanews.arizona.edu/story/underl ... e-revealed
I put a response here last night but it doesn't really belong in this thread, so I moved it here viewtopic.php?f=13&t=444

:)