What did you do to prepare today?

What did you do to prepare today?
Elew

Re: What did you do to prepare today?

#201 Post by Elew » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:43 pm

I'm not sure how much property you have Kink, but with planning, and especially if you can get your neighbors involved in planting too, you all could have good sustainable wood even on a few acres. With large property, like Dirt said 40 to 50 acres, there is always plenty of deadfall and trees that need to be thinned. Either way you can thrive in the wood and food dept :) Select and clearly mark all the trees that are okay to cut, to avoid other people cutting the wrong ones. We would mark them in early to mid summer when dead and ill trees are easy to spot.
On a 40 acre plot, we would hit one acre per year for thinning (leaving the older healthy trees and thinning the undergrowth) and collecting deadfall. So we had a grid sort of. It kept the forest healthy too. Then plant herbs and root veggies and other food plants like blackberries, strawberries, blueberries...all between the trees, and around the property where they will get the sun they need. Just check for compatibility. Nettles are awesome, because they feed the soil nitrogen, so long as they are planted around nitrogen hungry plants.
It takes a little planning, and figuring out where each plant will thrive and help the plants near it...but eventually you will have a food forest that pretty much tends itself. A little pruning and harvesting is all you will need to do.

Andy, if all goes as we think it will, you might end up in the lush green area, and we might be under alot of snow :P

Elew

#202 Post by Elew » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:19 am

Uh-oh, word is out then...soon it will be hard to find storage food, and prices will rise accordingly I'm sure.

I think I need some of those pockets Andy, because I have a hard time making habits. I really tried to stay on my planned schedule, but then these little wood pieces started dancing around calling me, and this happened

I did get the bread and things made yesterday, but then I was supposed to make hummus and work on hair forks today. Oh well, I will try again tomorrow. I got 4 pyrography pendants made though :) These are little 1 inch discs, and so much fun!

I did water and feed the veggies too...

dirtmurphy

#203 Post by dirtmurphy » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:44 am

Beautiful work as always Elew!

Kink

#204 Post by Kink » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:54 am

Really gorgeous Elew, I can't believe the detail on the one to right :!:

Kink

#205 Post by Kink » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:03 pm

Hey enjoy a day off Andy! I know exactly how you feel. I've actually had some energy these last few days which for someone with chronic fatigue is like heaven on earth :D. Just cleaned up my axe's blade with the dremel and oiled/sharpened it again. Going to clean up the chainsaw's carburetor/air filter and check to see if I need to put new fuel lines/a new fuel filter in, then head out and finish splitting up the cherry.

I should have mentioned about the trees near my house, they just cleared out half of them (they're directly under a high tension wire) so the power company can do what they want with them. My fear is they're going to clear the rest out any year now (all ash trees are going extinct in PA, every tree is getting infected because of all the rain). Even the wild Cherry I just chopped down (thank you murphy for letting me know I can even grow chicken of the wood mushrooms with its limbs) was beginning to get a fungi infection on it. It's hard to find any trees that don't anymore. So I almost feel I'm doing them a service by turning them into firewood before possibly being destroyed with backhoes again, they did this across the street too where there's more high tension wires. My guess is they're doing this to not alarm everyone of the dying trees.

Some articles on the tree situation in PA:
https://www.publicopiniononline.com/sto ... /96675144/
https://triblive.com/local/regional/140 ... early-fall

I may get some pieces of paper and tape them, writing "Hardwood" and staple them to the ones I can find for harvesting later if time becomes an issue.

Kink

#206 Post by Kink » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:48 pm

I feel the same way about preworkout, it works great but the crash is absolutely not worth it almost. Technicians just knocked at my door letting me know they're installing my smart meter, woohoooo! :(. But yeah the dremel is my baby now :D, cannot wait to get around to using it at its full potential

Kink

#207 Post by Kink » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:15 pm

Love the restored polish army signal flash light Andy!! Is it for yourself or to sell? Could you sell them?

I made some progress on the Solar Cooker today :D, I'm going to continue posting the image gallery to Imgur's community as I feel it possibly brings us some new members.

DIY Solar Cooker Oven, Day 2

Bottom fully insulated now:
Just have the sides and the 6" openings to insulate before I can move onto making the reflectors and what not.

Found some 6 1/4" fiberglass insulation and decided to re-cycle the spill mat from my grow tent for its hammertoned reflective material. Original plan was insulation from the outside but instead I decided to: Cut pieces of the fiberglass in strips and hot glue them onto a section, next I size a piece of aluminum sheet metal and cut it, then drill 3 holes through the sheet metal and bottom of the basin, then I bolt the sheet metal on in 3 places and again cover with hot glue and then cover this with a cut to fit piece of the reflective fabric/material from the grow tent. Looks like it's going to work great, excited now that I have a general idea of what I am doing :mrgreen:
Last edited by Kink on Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

anomalous howard

#208 Post by anomalous howard » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:12 am

My start point was a highly "complicated" position. "Today" was not a consideration. I'm almost to a "today" standpoint.
First, being 61 yrs old I had some unanticipated physical issues. Spinal stenosis had snuck up on me. I was 100% unaware that it was happening until in Jan 2018 it tipped over to critical when I lifted an object that shifted my cervical vertebrae and was unable to move at all without extreme pain. I was totally incapacitated for months as insurance dictated my course of action. Surgery was last on the list of actions. First was physical therapy. I talked my way out of that saying I had been doing it and got no relief. Then a course of oral steroids. Then the time it took to produce the evidence that oral steroids wasn't going to work. 6 weeks. Then it was spinal injections and the time it took to produce the evidence that it wasn't going to work. 6 more weeks. Then scheduling surgery...6 weeks to wait for that. Then the surgery and recovery....6 months minimum with 3 months mostly still incapacitated. During recovery I wanted to get any dental issues I might have fully checked and sorted out that also arose while I was incapacitated. Two implants and a wisdom tooth removal now behind me. Still "recovering" from the spinal quad fusion, triple disc replacement, bone spur removal and "instrumentation" implanted but making better progress every day and am nearly fully recovered. Sitting at my computer and doing research and logging what I was finding here and on Silicon Investor and in a private facebook group was all I could do and that was excruciating. Part of my research was geared toward my own relocation. Part of relocation was putting my current house on the market. Contract just signed. New location already scouted and ownership will be mortgage free. All other ties to the financial system that I've had will be cut at the time of my move which comes at the end of March. My family, wife, 4 children and my first grandchild born 3 weeks ago are all completely enmeshed in "the system" and incapable of thinking about living in GSM conditions so they are all still fast asleep. They are also widely scattered across the country. I've told everyone what is coming, in great detail, and what I will be doing about it....so when they finally wake up, I'll have somewhere prepared. Response...eyes rolling...but I know reality will prevail. My wife understands I will do what I have to do so she is going along with the great inconvenience that she will incur by choosing to not move with me. I am now retired but she has chosen not to retire yet. She will buy her own house here and "wait and see" while she coordinates aspects relating to the "wake up" in regard to the rest of our family.
My physical issues are now hopefully behind me, all financial encumbrances are settled, family issues handled, house sold and 90% packed up, ready to roll, plans to set up a sustainable, off-grid habitat are fully researched and well mapped out along a proper schedule (giving the grid 2 more years)..... and an adventure ahead.

So, TODAY...I am almost ready to start thinking in terms of "What did you do to prepare today?"
I do love an adventure. Finally almost there.

Kink

#209 Post by Kink » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:09 am

Great post, Howard. I can relate to your back issues despite only being 22 as I herniated my L5 and got sciatica down my right leg that felt like a beer trap was on it, had surgery and started building my core and am now where you're at in finally being able to put it behind us. I will keep you and your family in my prayers that they wake up, I can imagine that's hard but they will in the coming years no doubt.

I highly anticipate you joining us here in this thread as I love your informational posts and can tell you will have some fascinating adventure/project/general posts to bring to the table :), godspeed on getting you ready for this adventure with us!

anomalous howard

#210 Post by anomalous howard » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:15 am

Thank you Kink. Don't worry about me posting my prep progress...all failures will be duly highlighted.. :D