What did you do to prepare today?

What did you do to prepare today?
Kink

Re: What did you do to prepare today?

#241 Post by Kink » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:49 pm

Attempted to re-do the fuel lines yesterday but found out I routed them wrong, so just got done fixing that and now I'm waiting on the gaskets/adapter before I can put it back together and hopefully get er running again today :D. If that goes as planned I want to checkout the lines on the blower as I may have did those wrong too. Otherwise will be an average day or reading, cleaning, etc.

Carry on!

Kink

#242 Post by Kink » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:26 pm

Catching on, isn't it :D
Yep! :mrgreen:

Sounds great about the potato grow bin Andy, can't wait to see your progress on it, will have to join you in making one sometime this year. Finally got the chainsaw up and running better than ever :), glad I can move onto something else now. Have been going crazy trying to make some cash.

Henrysmom

#243 Post by Henrysmom » Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:58 am

New here but will post intro later tonight. I didn't do much but did can 16.pints chicken thighs, plant some tomato and onion starts and started to catalogue my food storage.

Kink

#244 Post by Kink » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:43 pm

My neighbor came to the house to let me know one of the hemlocks my grandpa planted some 40+ years ago got uprooted and is now leaning on the hemlocks in my yard... thank god he's having someone come out to take care of it, but this seriously worries me with a good 10 other hemlocks..on a hill..facing my house/shed. Neighbor and I attribute this to the winds we just had, and the over 75% in rain we are experiencing. Sunday-Monday saw 25-30mph sustained winds and gusts up to 60mph.

My warning is to anyone that is lurking here on the forum and may not be preparing for the GSM themselves. Please start storing water and food, and learning all that you can about ways to survive. Share your experiences and knowledge with us, we need to come together if we want the greatest chance of making it through this. Have lived here all my life and have never experienced the things we are currently, and I know it's just the beginning.

Source for precipitation data

There's thrash all throughout the yard, including shingles, and I mean everywhere. It's going to be fun cleaning this all up. Good news is the firewood is still standing :lol:

Henrysmom

#245 Post by Henrysmom » Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:14 am

Canned more quarts of pintos. Went to 99 cent store and actually found quite a few things for preparedness stockpile. Matches, some small rope bundles, canned food, soap bars, lots of hand sanitizer and more. Bought two bottles of vodka. We don’t drink but figure could be good for medicinal purposes or barter. Sorted through my huge home library and put appropriate books into one area for quick reference.Planted potato starts in old ikea/grocery bags and looking into building large potatoes bin.

Kink

#246 Post by Kink » Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:31 am

Henrysmom wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:14 am
lots of hand sanitizer and more. Bought two bottles of vodka. We don’t drink but figure could be good for medicinal purposes or barter.
I've been researching this myself, stumbled on this article on how to DIY alcohol. Simplest recipe is Kilju which only requires yeast, sugar and water and can be used as a disinfectant. Obviously this then led me to find how to DIY yeast and I found this great video + this good article from Survival Mom.

Last edited by Kink on Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

dirtmurphy

#247 Post by dirtmurphy » Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:16 am

We've been making wine for a while out of vegetables as well as fruits. I like potato wine personally. It's like weak vodka :D .
It's been a hard few days on the farm. We lost Hennydew. I thought she was either eggbound or had a cystic ovary. Her abdomen was swollen and she had stopped laying. I had her x-rayed and it turns out that she had a mass in her lower GI tract. There was nothing I could do to help her so we put her down. My vet keeps telling me chickens are tragic. She's right. If anyone out there is looking at getting chickens, get more than you think you need.

dirtmurphy

#248 Post by dirtmurphy » Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:34 pm

The past couple of days I have been trying to save some incredible roses from a home buyer who has no clue as to the value of these particular bushes. These roses are older than I am and smell amazing. Roses are a very old herbal medicine that are used for treating stress and PTSD but not every rose has that ability. Permaculturists are always hyping Rosa Rugosa due to its large rose hips but few people know that you can identify a "medicinal" rose based on fragrance. If they are fragrant, they are medicinal. GMO knock out roses do not have a fragrance.
Anyhow, this person took out these roses with a backhoe. I managed to take some cuttings and I'm trying to get them to root even though this isn't a great time of year for that. Whatever develops roots will be used for medicine and for home defense. If there's anything left over after that, I can sell them. I just won't sell them to the jerk who tried to kill them!

dirtmurphy

#249 Post by dirtmurphy » Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:38 am

Hey Andy, you asked about the rooting hormone. I stopped using the powder years ago because I couldn't use the "organically raised" phrase in connection with anything I rooted with it. Instead I make my own with diluted apple cider vinegar with the mother.
There are other ways to make homemade rooting hormone. Here's a link describing several methods https://preparednessmama.com/natural-rooting-hormone/.

Aussie

#250 Post by Aussie » Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:13 am

I use 100% filtered honey that hasn't been heat treated as a rooting compound.

It works.