What did you do to prepare today?

What did you do to prepare today?
Kink

Re: What did you do to prepare today?

#431 Post by Kink » Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:59 pm

Good point murphy, you can and I may look at grabbing a 16" for those jobs and another 14" doe casual stuff.
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (40.88 KiB) Viewed 733 times
Sounds amazing about the classes, hope you learn a lot! Hope your leg is feeling better today Andy. Just going to do more cleaning today and try to get some more money.

Update: just checked on my tree and I knew it was so close that the wind got her for me! So got my bar now juat have to bend her back into shape, but should hopefully be splitting more cherry by this evening :mrgreen:

Update 2: Got a few logs cut up, definitely looks like black cherry and it is incredibly difficult if not near impossible to split this with my axe and no wedges so will need to invest in some + could really use a nice maul.

Andy F

#432 Post by Andy F » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:59 am

Today? A lot of planning, drilling & mechanical. An LED, 16 switches and 4 PWM controllers for 8 fans.
Finishing up all that for the ELectrical switch main control panel for ventilation system.
I was short 3 on/off mini switches, and had to order a few more.
Twiddle dee and twiddle dum, gonna watch a movie, I think.
Anyone ever figure out what David Bowie's film "Labyrinth" was really about? I did.
I'm not sure if Jay Dyer did a decode.

Andy F

#433 Post by Andy F » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:01 pm

Tuesday.
People can prep all they want to, the real deadly weapon is 5G, created in Israel but they refuse to have or use 5G.
You can go to the PDF Zone if you have the nerve and want to know...

Caught betwixt a rock and a hard place...
I still have sore leg, the muscle & ligaments probably have microtears.
I can't walk good, and I now have "Happy Feet" which really WANT to move.
I'm :lol: thinking of Steve Martin and his Happy Feet skit on Saturday Night Live.
24 second clip

Kink

#434 Post by Kink » Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:51 pm

Completely know that happy feet feeling Andy, when I was stuck in bed for two months with a herniated L4 disc that felt like a beer trap down my sciatic nerve in my right leg all I wanted to do was run. Then had surgery, and again was bed ridden for a couple weeks due to complications all the time just begging to go for a walk in the woods. Let yourself heal! I hope it starts to feel better ASAP for you.

Finished cutting, splitting and hauling the cherry today, 3rd wood crib is looking nice and red :). Still have some additional cherry to cut but it's 10ft in the air so may leave it go or see if I can use a ladder.

First Haul:
rsz_0312191149b.jpg
rsz_0312191149b.jpg (141.89 KiB) Viewed 695 times
Second Haul:
rsz_0312191216.jpg
rsz_0312191216.jpg (159.86 KiB) Viewed 695 times
Third Haul:
rsz_0312191353.jpg
rsz_0312191353.jpg (169.71 KiB) Viewed 695 times
Third wood crib:

Andy F

#435 Post by Andy F » Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:10 am

@kink
Thank you. You're sure getting a lot of wood cut. Of course, I see a potential for some profits in making round cherry cutting boards from those larger logs. With a little bit of sweat & sanding...and cutting board seasoning oil rubbed in.

Happy Feet is not a joke, it's miserable & nearly nonstop annoyance & ticking me off. I'm working on it, moving around.
Oh, while sitting I nearly finished my battery Fire Starter, it is kick azz red hot. I did end up putting 16 gauge Tungsten EL heater wire.
I FRIED the 26 gauge wire, then twisted 4 - 26 gauge wires, fried those too. The 16 seems fine, sure will start a fire really good.
Then I got a wicked idea, coiled 16 ga wire & I'm going to try boiling water for tea :mrgreen:
Never throw away those old heaters, scavenge its parts & wires. I made the fire starter so I could use different configurations of Tungsten wires. Straight, coiled, looped. They hook on like a screen door hook, stay on with tension.

Weeds Day?

NOPE, Fire Starter does not heat up water in a cup. Only the wires got hot :roll:
Although, yesterday I was refilling my water tanks (did annual cleanout) a neighbor stopped by and I got side tracked and didn't notice the LED Full Tank light was lit, so it overflowed. Solution is, add on a Piezo Alarm, using a bit of tape over the little hole to muffle it down halfway. I had a couple Piezos that has the electronics inside. Neg wire to 9VDC battery neg. Positive to the upper wire 12VDC. When tank is full, it closes 12VDC circuit and Piezo alarm and LED turns on.
Which led to consideration of home use of 9-12VDC Perimeter Alarms for the yard or driveway, using a 12VDC Motion Detector Light. I'm modifying it by adding on a Piezo alarm. :ugeek: Wires up same way as LED circuit above. I'll update soon.
Am taking photos today of Fire Starter to upload later; amazing device. Might fire up the pit too.

Kink

#436 Post by Kink » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:09 pm

Can't wait to see pics of your fire starter, may have to try making one myself then :o. Yeah it's a lot of firewood but with Elew mentioning needed two of those sized cherry trees to get through one winter, I don't even think I have any saved yet in the greater scheme of things plus I'm a complete novice on fires so I need as much insurance wood as possible. Plus it takes 6 months to a year to season firewood from my understanding so the sooner I can get it curing the better :).

Going to try getting as much of that cherry as I can cut today so i can get a tarp over the third crib for the storm tomorrow. Going to try my best to get to that freezer finally and clean it out/seal what I can today as well. Keep keeping on everyone :D

Andy F

#437 Post by Andy F » Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:07 pm

Fire Starter Button side.jpg

Kink

#438 Post by Kink » Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:12 pm

lol that's Fn awesome!! I wanna see it in action :D

Andy F

#439 Post by Andy F » Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:15 pm

:lol: I'll do a video and upload it you know where :lol:

dirtmurphy

#440 Post by dirtmurphy » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:26 pm

Yesterday I got more layer feed and azomite. Today I'm going to put the azomite in my various composts and mix some into potting soil. I plant carrots in containers and they require a high mineral content. I need to keep some back for more container plantings and future compost teas but I'm also going to apply it to beds and hopefully our little orchard.
Hmm. Maybe I'll go ahead and brew up some compost tea for the seedlings and mature greenhouse plants today. I think they would probably like that. :D
I've spent a couple of days reading about cover cropping for pollinators and other beneficials. I can hardly wait to start!
Oh well, time to get busy.