What did you do to prepare today?

What did you do to prepare today?
Andy F

Re: What did you do to prepare today?

#501 Post by Andy F » Sun May 12, 2019 9:32 pm

Sunday...
It's hot & muggy here for a desert, morning rain, drizzle to rainy. Typical.

Carry & PREP ON!
Last edited by Andy F on Sun May 26, 2019 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

anomalous howard

#502 Post by anomalous howard » Mon May 13, 2019 12:44 am

Moved from East Coast, I95 corridor to West of the Mississippi. The plains of Southeast Colorado. New Madrid disruption isn't a factor on this side.
Very low population density with a high concentration of self-sufficiency. Farms and cattle ranches for 100s of miles in every direction. Good water resourcing options (some with fishing). My own GSM forecast is for improvement in this area's seasonal rainfall patterns and somewhat shortened growing season. Maybe hail as problematic but otherwise good for growing with enough length to the season.
Added 80 sq. ft. of veg. garden space to existing 180 outdoors (shovels, digging pitchfork, metal rake -- straight down into a nice patch of lawn :-)Radishes are up. Tomato and pepper starts are in. Strawberry patch already here when I moved in doing great.
Planted 3 types winter squash seeds, bush cucumber seeds, Carson yellow bush beans, beets, sunflower.
Ordered 10 different heirloom varieties from Annie's yesterday...from potatoes (containers set up today) and sweet potatoes to melons, squashes, tomatoes, beets, etc. (ran out of beet seeds today).

Indoors I ordered, received and assembled 3 steel frame shelving units. Have installed 14 of 20 Hidden Harvest lights for spinach, tomatoes, bush cucumbers, bush beans, romaine, curly lettuce, peppers....and my 6 legal medicinal plants. (Another 60 sq. ft.)
I have an indoor, semi-dwarf lemon tree arriving probably tomorrow.

Got my first Yeti 1400 (2 more to go) and Boulder 200 with MPPT charge controller (one more to go). When this backup energy suite is filled out, a generator is next.

30 lbs. Chinese black (forbidden) rice in a food grade long-term storage bucket.
Oatmeal and other grains to follow.
One case (18 lbs) canned butter from New Zealand.
First year of long-term storable food from Numanna.
Dehydrator. (excellent for jerky).
Pressure canner.

Researching wood/coal stove/heating options that are amenable to the house's style and structure.

Still doing a fair amount of unpacking, organizing, cleaning, red tape, general settling in and whatnot.
Trying to fit in a bit more whatnot as time goes.

Andy F

#503 Post by Andy F » Tue May 14, 2019 3:39 pm

I glued 3 bag clips to the wall to hold my schematics and Buy & ToDo List, those kept getting mixed in with the "ongoing plans" paper stack ( it's 4 inches high :mrgreen: )
Last edited by Andy F on Sun May 26, 2019 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Farside

#504 Post by Farside » Wed May 15, 2019 12:47 pm

anomalous howard wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 12:44 am
...Researching wood/coal stove/heating options that are amenable to the house's style and structure...
What are the style / structure constraints?

Reason I ask is that it appears you're building a resilient lifestyle, and if that's the case then you can't get much of a better system than the one below. Worth considering:
Wood is still the cheapest, and cleanest form of heating. The challenge is ensuring it actually burns clean, and the woodlot is managed properly.

The best part of a woody plant for using as fuel is not heartwood, but stick wood because it contains the highest amount of resins and other energy dense molecules, the challenge is that it is also the most problematic when it comes to clean combustion and creosote buildup.

The solution is a wood burning chamber of some sort that burns so hot that it incinerates all the creosote and hydrocarbon gasses. It means you can use stick wood as fuel, it means that the heating efficiency is very high, and it also means that emissions are extremely clean.

Additional benefits of using stick wood is that it is less physically demanding to collect, process, and store. Furthermore, you no longer need to chop a tree down but rather grow trees for their branches, which you can harvest over and over again. If you're smart, you can even select a species that not only grows back readily after you cut its branches off, but also produces some sort of food during the regeneration period (a heartwood fuel system has a regeneration cycle of decades, while a stick wood one has a cycle of around 5 years). Hazelnuts are a good example. Now your woodlot turns into a perennial cropping system that produces food and fuel which will operate for hundreds of years. Plant the fuel trees in hedge rows and you can use the alleyways to graze animals, or use them as wind breaks for protecting more delicate fruit trees.

To achieve a resilient lifestyle, you need as many elements in your design performing multiple functions as you can. In this case, your source of heating fuel also provides food and shelter. Some (like alder) fix Nitrogen in the soil so although they don't directly produce food, they feed other plants that do.

Farside

#505 Post by Farside » Wed May 15, 2019 1:11 pm

BTW, in case people aren't aware, no matter what type of wood burning system you have it is very important that the wood is seasoned properly. Yeah you can stack wood in a pile and burn it, but you get twice as much heat out of that same wood if you stack it inside a shelter so it is bone dry when you go to burn it. Simply covering the pile with a tarp isn't good enough either (although it's better than nothing). It has to be in a shelter where there is air circulation.

Andy F

#506 Post by Andy F » Sat May 18, 2019 4:08 pm

LTSpice. May 18th.

A hookah-smoking caterpillar has been keeping me busier than usual :lol:
Not even Alice knows, what I've been up to.

Wednesday, May 22nd.
I got X & L done -- YAY! Got paid!!
I am now halfway done with Y, and still in planning stages for Project Z + 47 other projects.

Andy F

#507 Post by Andy F » Thu May 23, 2019 1:08 am

Via Daily Breeze, Torrance Cali - https://www.dailybreeze.com/2019/05/22/ ... alifornia/
Hail Rain Snow Lightening SoCal.jpg
Hail Rain Snow Lightening SoCal.jpg (29.99 KiB) Viewed 438 times

Andy F

#508 Post by Andy F » Fri May 24, 2019 8:48 pm

Today I ran a 45 foot 2 wires from a switch witch I paralleled to the device's witch switch.
It's done and it was a finger fumble type job but overall it was easy.
It works good. I can turn it ON and OFF, and soon I will parallel wire it to motion detector light circuit, so, look out for the ELectrical gods :lol:
It ended an issue of inconvenience and disruption of certain enlightening chores that I do, regularly.
Didn't tell you much, did I?

Farside

#509 Post by Farside » Fri May 24, 2019 11:54 pm

I checked out a site where I plan to raise 75 broilers, and organized with the land owner where the chicken tractor will be, where the brooder will be, and what their share of the bounty will be in return for their efforts.

since the land owner really doesn't want to buy his produce from the grocery store anymore, I gave them a bunch of seedlings, some seed, some worms, and a bottle of homemade wine :-)

I have found that through generous giving and sharing my own bounty, other people give generously and share with me. I'm slowly building a community of people who freely share their excess with each other and everyone benefits at nobody's expense.

Andy F

#510 Post by Andy F » Sat May 25, 2019 7:50 pm

The beat goes on...La di dah di dahhhhhhhhhhhh.
Last edited by Andy F on Sun May 26, 2019 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.