What did you do to prepare today?

What did you do to prepare today?
Farside

Re: What did you do to prepare today?

#511 Post by Farside » Sat May 25, 2019 9:40 pm

Last week I picked up 4 evans cherry saplings from a local lady and gave here some dried oyster mushrooms as a thank you. I put them in pots, and today I gave them to someone else in exchange for 2 black elderberry bushes.

Now I am starting to get a decent selection of species, and will be thinking of ways to position them in the garden so that they benefit from each other.

I'm thinking of planting the elderberries between the blackcurrants and the birch trees that border the garden. I'm also going to have a hunt for some more established asparagus that I can plant around the blackcurrants and jostaberries. I have some strawberry plants ready for transplant which will make a good ground cover too.

I'm going to break up my garlic chives and use them as a border barrier against the grass, and do the same with my rhubarb when it gets big enough to divide.

We have a lot of horseradish growing wild around town, so I think I''ll go hunting some because they make good grass barriers also.

Andy F

#512 Post by Andy F » Wed May 29, 2019 2:19 am

Today?
I did the usual jobs, and finished so payday is tomo.
Prepped some more.

Anyone aware of the Dov Zakheim's PNAC & THEIR Patriot Act, confiscation of farms, food, vehicles and everything else?
A map of Russian Gulags (I can't find the jpg atm....)
IF the Bolsheviks were able to do it then to a country as large as Russia,
think they wouldn't do it again with the Israeli (Talmudic Bolsheviks) technology and weaponry of today?
It would be, along with the GSM, like in Ukraine Holodomor (same principle) it would be Easy Peasy.
When do we leave?

People don't have to believe, the problem is, they do believe it.

Andy F

#513 Post by Andy F » Fri May 31, 2019 3:43 am

My Carolina Reaper's are sprouting, ready for transplanting in about a week. I might put them in burlap pot bags.
Pepper Spray.

Friday?
I've accomplished a lot, but especially in the last ~2,000,000,000 seconds. I've been so busy! :mrgreen:

dirtmurphy

#514 Post by dirtmurphy » Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:07 am

I'm growing Reapers this year too. It's my first time around them this year. I'm just hoping I don't melt my eyes cutting into them :lol:
I'm injured. I halfway suspect that I hairline fractured my ulna. At any rate, my forearm is swollen proximal to my wrist and I don't have the mobility or strength that I normally do in my right hand. Of course I was in the middle of several projects that are now on hold until this thing resolves itself which sucks, but I'm trying to remain as productive as possible. I've been reorganizing our food and medicinal herb storage. I had been putting it off for a while but now there's no longer any excuse for not working on it. At the moment I can't do home repairs, plant, or start a chainsaw. What else am I going to do, cry about it? It is a bummer though.
Princess Layer is still on the nest. We moved her into the house for the hatch. Our property has Marek's and we had tremendous losses due to it. I started our flock with 4 chicks and lost 3 to Marek's. Then I got Princess and 8 fertile eggs. Six hatched and we lost 5 of those, also to Marek's. Then we got 6 vaccinated chicks and none of them contracted it so I'm going to vaccinate whatever chicks hatch from this clutch. That's why I need her to hatch out in here rather than in the barn like her last clutch. I don't want to vaccinate but it's a terrible disease affecting the nervous and respiratory systems as well as causing cancer. The birds really suffer.

Kink

#515 Post by Kink » Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:39 pm

Man. I'm sorry about your forearm/wrist/hand Murphy...I hope you heal as quick as possible. Rest up and try to not feel bad, it's out of your control and I'm glad you have a what can you do about it mindset about it. Keep us updated on Princess and her hatch.

You two are both crazy growing those reapers!!!! :shock: I kind of want to try as well now :mrgreen:

As far as what I've been up to, just keeping busy getting the wood ash for the flower gardens and making sure I move my flats of veggie plants out of the rain when it gets so they can dry out some. Saving the cherry chacoal - up to 10lbs or more of the stuff, the plan is to make activated carbon out of it for detox pills, tea, but also soap, maybe face masks, etc. Converted the seed starter into a mini green house for the delphinium, columbine, and lupines that I always have a hard time growing. Have been taking cuttings from the peppermint plant every chance I can, they fully root within days with a little root starter in the water, would like to plant some of these away from everything so I can have a constant supply for tea.

Besides that just keeping up with lawn work and looking for employment. Sucks with no car/and closest bus line is 20 mins away, but I'm keeping my had up and pushing forward. Glad you all are doing good for the most part! Cheers and never stop preppin'!

Andy F

#516 Post by Andy F » Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:21 am

@dirtmurphy
Gotta love reddit megathreads (large compilation of sources on a topic). Here's one on smart meters, cell tower & cell phone EMF that you'd get some use out of with your area for what you said you are intending to do.
https://np.reddit.com/r/Electromagnetics/wiki/index

ADKFarmer

#517 Post by ADKFarmer » Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:44 pm

Short growing season near the Canadian border. It's been cold and rainy. This weekend I put up my 10x20 Greenhouse. Planted 6 Raised beds in it with vegetables, herbs and everbearing strawberries. Started some new plants in my smaller 6x8 greenhouse from seeds. Hoed the potato patch, a few of the potatoes I left planted last year started to come up. Hatched some new chickens will start another batch in a couple of weeks. We now have about 40 chickens, 5 Turkeys, 6 Ducks. Learning how to cook using dandelions. Made excellent cookies yesterday with the petals. I'd be curious to know what companion plants people have tried to grow with potatoes with good success. Especially given the fact it may be wet and cold this year. Looking to help them as much as I can. Today I just planted a few marigolds around them. I've heard beans. Also looking for tips to keep cucumbers, squash and zucchini in greenhouse powdery mildew free. Want to head off any issues before they start. Thanks.

Andy F

#518 Post by Andy F » Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:40 pm

About 6 months ago, I started a phone book with tabs A to Z. Not for phone numbers, but for people's and listed not by name but by their knowledge and skills listed alphabetically like a business yellow pages. A thru Z, the real Skills people have, and some added notes which included how prepared they are today, how knowledgeable they are of GSM and farm crop losses. I also listed their personal quirks that I know about, also who has weapons and who doesn't. A few people I know who've been around the block, they have very good skills but are naturally suspicious and untrusting by nature, but they don't show it outwardly. You wouldn't know unless you knew them personally.
I did this as part of preparedness and not to rely on "commercial" businesses. Some of the skills, drugs, construction, electrical, sewing, small and large animal husbandry and so forth.
I wouldn't want to have to figure all that out, at some point after it is too late. Best to know now.

dirtmurphy

#519 Post by dirtmurphy » Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:47 pm

@Andy F, smart idea about the phone book. I like it.
@Kink, keep working man. Do the buses there have bike racks on front? I sure hope so for your sake.
@ADKFarmer, I haven't tried growing squashes in a greenhouse but this would be my strategy: trellis them and mulch the bed heavily, then run fans. The mulch will cut down on evaporation. The trellis and fans will improve air circulation and light. I'm also a big fan of azomite rock dust mixed with vermicompost. I think of it as a multi-vitamin for my plants even though it's trace minerals. I think it keeps them healthier.

Farside

#520 Post by Farside » Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:47 pm

ADKFarmer wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:44 pm
Short growing season near the Canadian border. It's been cold and rainy. This weekend I put up my 10x20 Greenhouse. Planted 6 Raised beds in it with vegetables, herbs and everbearing strawberries. Started some new plants in my smaller 6x8 greenhouse from seeds. Hoed the potato patch, a few of the potatoes I left planted last year started to come up. Hatched some new chickens will start another batch in a couple of weeks. We now have about 40 chickens, 5 Turkeys, 6 Ducks. Learning how to cook using dandelions. Made excellent cookies yesterday with the petals. I'd be curious to know what companion plants people have tried to grow with potatoes with good success. Especially given the fact it may be wet and cold this year. Looking to help them as much as I can. Today I just planted a few marigolds around them. I've heard beans. Also looking for tips to keep cucumbers, squash and zucchini in greenhouse powdery mildew free. Want to head off any issues before they start. Thanks.
A tip on cucumbers, zucchini, and squash... They love growing in active compost provided it isn't so hot that it cooks them. I make a compost tower that is 5 ft across and about 4ft high using concrete reinforcing mesh that it rolled into a tube, and then lined with weed fabric. I fill this with my composting material, and plant the zucchini / squash / cucumbers in the top once the initial decomp has subsided and the temperature dropped sufficiently. I also add some Calcium to the compost because compost is almost always deficient in Calcium, which in turn causes end rot in zucchini btw.

In this way I utilize the same space to grow and also produce compost. The tower shape also lifts the plants off the ground, which results in increased air flow and basically eliminates mildew problems. I will often mulch to top surface of the compost with straw to lock in moisture, and water around the roots as needed. But compost is like a giant sponge so I don't need to water very much at all. Overhead watering of these types of plants will often lead to mildew issues too.

In a greenhouse environment, you can start the compost as soon as the material thaws, and the heat generated will keep the frost at bay.

BTW, I use the sides of my tower as support for my artificial mushroom logs too, and then at the end of summer the tower becomes a winter home for my composting worms. Up here in Canada, it takes two years for the compost tower to finish off the compost. I can still grow in it, but I tend to dismantle it after two years and start again.