What did you do to prepare today?

What did you do to prepare today?
8greenbeans

Re: What did you do to prepare today?

#591 Post by 8greenbeans » Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:41 pm

New to the refugium :D Have been listening to Christian and 2 others for about 6 months now. This past week I've canned some pickles, peach pie filling, peach compote, peach jam, peach salsa, vegetable soup, and in the process of canning chili today.
Dehydrating onions, mushrooms, and greens. The goal is to can or dehydrate or both every day.
I'm about to go do my weekly shopping that puts ingredients and other items on the shelves for later use.

I have a question on sprouts, if I may. So, I love sprouts and know all about the nutritional wonder that they are. However, how does everyone here keep sprouting sustainable? Are you planting some for seed? If so, how much? Something else? (Maybe this should go in its own separate post lol!)

Glad to be here and can't wait to explore the forum!
☦️
Marine Corps Veteran.
USAF Mom. ANG Mom-in-law.
Army Daughter. Navy Niece.
8 Beans
5 Grandbeans
3 Beans-in-law
1 MrBeans

Andy F

#592 Post by Andy F » Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:16 am

Last edited by Andy F on Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Andy F

#593 Post by Andy F » Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:19 am

Last edited by Andy F on Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tom Kleffman

#594 Post by Tom Kleffman » Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:46 pm

Processing (canning) food this weekend. Have 6 gallons of tomato puree w/garlic and olive oil cooking down on the stove. Once reduced to half volume, will add salt and fresh herbs, and hot water bath can it in quarts. Once that is done, I have about 20# of pork butt I am thinking of potting in the pressure canner but will depend on what happens between now and then. Also working actively on reducing local wild large rodent populations, which the dog is happily eating as fast as they fall for the traps.

Andy F

#595 Post by Andy F » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:41 pm

Last edited by Andy F on Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

8greenbeans

#596 Post by 8greenbeans » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:20 am

It's been busy around here so this is more of a week's worth rather than a day. I reorganized pantry shelves where people just throw things willy nilly. Several more shelving units and cabinets around the house to go. It's giving me a much better view of our holes.
Prepped a gallon of tomatoes to be stewed and sauced. More coming in off the vine and from the local farmer down the street. I like to have 5 gallons for stewed and 5+ gallons for saucing.
Have dehydrated more mushrooms and added in Juliette tomatoes to make 'sun-dried' tomatoes. Tomorrow, leftover veggies are going in the dehydrator.
I've also been learning about varying ways to heat a greenhouse, bio-reactors, and hydroponics. I took my time sketching out what I'd like my greenhouse and the surrounding area to look like. Two days ago, I began the arduous task of implementing those plans. It will take me quite awhile to get it all done since hubby works very long hours 6 days a week now.
I've also been on another printing spree to make my most important digital files into hard copies.

As a side note, our anniversary is September 13. Hubby & I had reservations, that we kept in spite of everyone saying we were crazy for going out. (But we met on a Friday the 13th and thought this was highly appropriate for us.) Well, very few people were out and none of them acted crazy! We even got through the entire evening without a single child calling us! It was a very beautiful and lovely evening.
☦️
Marine Corps Veteran.
USAF Mom. ANG Mom-in-law.
Army Daughter. Navy Niece.
8 Beans
5 Grandbeans
3 Beans-in-law
1 MrBeans

Garden Guru

#597 Post by Garden Guru » Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:07 pm

I assembled my greenhouse - finally! It is very nice but I will need to see how season extending it will be. There are steps I can take but I want to see how the greenhouse does on its own. I may erect two tunnel houses but that decision will be made next fall.

Andy F

#598 Post by Andy F » Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:47 pm

I'm on down time, enjoying reading online and paperbacks. Library work. Annoyed with BOTS.
I have 8 lbs onions in dehydrator. Cooking dinner in slow cooker. Seal A Meal bagging. Seems to never end, which is good.
Rained, a downpour all night, only 1 crack of lightning.

Carry on!

Tuesday!
Affirmation of knowing the truth and telling it.
Mom used to say, the truth only hurts when it should.
People might survive by uncovering the truth, remove the media's blinders.
People cannot survive based on lies.
Self Defence.

Andy F

#599 Post by Andy F » Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:13 pm

Wotan's Day!

The internet, can be a wonderful tool.
I use it to figure out "'things"'

Friday!

I'm searching online for a doggie to adopt. One that would like walking outdoors.
I think the GSM is affecting peoples, mostly criminals at this point.
Watching economics,stats on job layoffs. Crime will rise in certain areas, always does after major layoffs.

Wednesday
is derived from Old English Wōdnesdæg and Middle English Wednesdei, "day of Woden", reflecting the pre-Christian religion practiced by the Anglo-Saxons, a variation of the Norse god Odin. Wotan is the same guy Odin.

September 30th, Monday!
It turned significantly colder overnight. Yesterday morning @ 0400 it was warm.
This morning it is cold enough to put on warm socks and sweats.

iceagefarmer
Site Admin

#600 Post by iceagefarmer » Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:38 am

HARVESTING !!!!!!!!

SEED SAVING!!!! can not keep up with the buggers. Trying different ways to store them. Dark "cosmetic jars" are the latest attempt, but only work for smallest seeds / or smaller amounts.

This remains my favorite thread !