What did you do to prepare today?

What did you do to prepare today?
8greenbeans

Re: What did you do to prepare today?

#611 Post by 8greenbeans » Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:04 pm

Let's see, we headed to West Virginia to pick up a new billy goat. Sadly, it was in WVU hometown during homecoming. We wound up in a little sports bar full of Mountaineers and a few brave Texas Tech fans.
Either way, we picked up our new billy and got home unscathed. The girls are warming up and hopefully we will have kids come March. Oh! And this means we (meaning I) are/am slowly getting the electric fencing up for both a separate billy pen and rotational grazing

I've built a 4-bin potato grow bin out of plywood and pallets. (Plywood to protect the greenhouse since it's right up on it.) Now I'm working on some bio-reactors (technically just one reactor, as I'll do a new one each month) as well as cleaning up hives and modifying them one little piece at a time. They gotta be ready for swarms come swarm season!

We finally got our cow in. After work yesterday I split it up between us and the kids. I'm so excited that my youngest son-in-law loves the same type things I do, which is turning Bean5 into me lol She fought our lifestyle the hardest growing up and now she's living the lifestyle the most out of all the kids.

Anyway, today we also got some more produce to put up so I'll be working on that Tuesday during the predicted rain and outside projects today!
☦️
Marine Corps Veteran.
USAF Mom. ANG Mom-in-law.
Army Daughter. Navy Niece.
8 Beans
5 Grandbeans
3 Beans-in-law
1 MrBeans

Andy F

#612 Post by Andy F » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:00 pm

Looking at some large sized food storage boxes & pantry containers in Restaurant Supply store online.
https://www.webstaurantstore.com/37515/ ... overs.html

Wednesday. EARLY start day.

I'm using a voice to type program; haven't used it in a while. It types as fast as you can talk with numerous voice editing commands. Kind of fun, helped me get almost 2 chapters down taken from my notes, needs some editing.
Not much else going on today. Just another day. Rewriting my prepping ToDo & Buy List, got some new ELectrical planned to do.

8greenbeans

#613 Post by 8greenbeans » Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:50 pm

Tuesday
Bean7's Birthday!
Canned up potatoes and began dehydrating onions (only so many will fit in the dehydrator so that's an on-going project).
Got seven frames scraped clean. That puts me at the bottom boards, a brood box, and ten frames complete. Only 23 more pieces to go and I'll have a whole hive body ready to modify.
Bought 2x4 wire fencing for the bio-reactors.
Made my monthly online orders of seeds, herbs, essential oils, and colloidal silver.
Had a good conversation with MrBeans about preparing for the future - that he brought up no less! - he started with some things he heard at work and I "countered" with that's a good start especially considering the corn and soybean situation and was able to educate him on what's been happening world-wide (cause at first he was like "oh well, we will just import what we need" ... ). That was a huge conversation y'all. I have to wait for him to bring up stuff (maybe once or twice a year) before I can talk about these types of things with him. But he's all about homesteading so at least there's that!

Wednesday
Oh. My. Rain. Why does it seem like traffic triples in the rain? Both Dad and Bean8 had doctor appointments and Bean8 also had college classes (she's a junior in high school but also full-time dual-enrolled college student) so most of my day was in traffic. I almost finished scraping a honey super.
Made a list of hardware to pick up for the hive modifications and made a to-do list of sorts to get the bio-reactors, bins, and raised bed finished while waiting in doctor's offices.
Talked to a friend about rabbits.

Today
Bean2's Birthday!
On the agenda is more scraping, more dehydrating/putting away, digging, and forking hay.
☦️
Marine Corps Veteran.
8 Beans
5 Grandbeans
3 Beans-in-law
1 MrBeans

Andy F

#614 Post by Andy F » Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:37 am

Up very early wide eyed and bushy tailed. Soon to be my Friday. I have a lot to do today, I'm wanting a lazy weekend.
I took a few looks at Discord about 2 weeks ago. It's not for me.
Hopefully others find what they're looking for there, but it sure is busy here.

People who talk in videos about Mother Nature and the weather, just about sends me to the moon and back from frustration.
Are people that blind?

8greenbeans

#615 Post by 8greenbeans » Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:48 pm

Well, yesterday didn't go quite as planned but I did get some shopping and outdoor stuff worked on. Did part of my weekly shopping unexpectedly but glad that part is done. Forked loose hay from the round bail into the trough. Gathered small limbs and sticks to go in the bottom of the new bins, spread the mucked shavings over that, then gathered leaves to break apart over that, then started mucking hay into them as well. Got one of the four filled before I had to call it a day. No digging and no scraping accomplished.

I'm about to go load up on some elderberry and garlic before layering up and heading outside to start building the first bio-reactor. I only have a couple of hours before spending the rest of the day at the VA.
☦️
Marine Corps Veteran.
8 Beans
5 Grandbeans
3 Beans-in-law
1 MrBeans

8greenbeans

#616 Post by 8greenbeans » Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:55 pm

Today is Bean5's 24th birthday!

More of the same ... making bio-reactors, scraping bee equipment clean, dehydrating, fixing up the greenhouse area. I think I'm about to concentrate on finishing the first bio-reactor since everything is decently along. Then I'll finish filling the potato bins, then begin framing up the mushroom house that will go on the north side of the greenhouse since I'll need to get plugs into logs sooner than I'll need to set swarm traps (to which I plan to off-gas the CO2 from the mushrooms into the greenhouse to help anything growing in there (mainly greens, a fig tree, and a banana tree) - at least I've been told it works! We shall see!)

Taking tomorrow off for the most part due to church, working the Greek Festival, then attending Grandbean3's birthday party. Though if there's any daylight left we will likely be pitching hay to clean up the mess the goats have made instead of resting.

It's cool, rainy, and windy today. Quite uncomfortable once the rain started.
☦️
Marine Corps Veteran.
8 Beans
5 Grandbeans
3 Beans-in-law
1 MrBeans

Bobble Hat

#617 Post by Bobble Hat » Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:59 pm

We went to a local garden centre and bought some seeds for next years planting. Re potted a few plants in between the rain!

Andy F

#618 Post by Andy F » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:32 pm

I'm still looking for a used doggie, it is my daily afternoon "job" this week. I think Tamale might work out.
Beagle Freedom Project, Beagles are the most tested animals for products.
I ran across Reba McEntire, the adult female goat over in North Carolina is up for adoption. They have so many different animals, from rabbits to pigs to goats & more.
https://www.petfinder.com/barnyard/reba ... ect-ca932/
Reba McEntire Goat.jpg
Reba McEntire Goat.jpg (22.18 KiB) Viewed 160 times

Andy F

#619 Post by Andy F » Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:02 am

Store brands I'd ordered Friday $88.00 total worked out to 67 cents/pound, had it Saturday delivered no charge.
Bigger things to do, I'd ran out of time last week, so ordered online while I still can.
Mainly, bought "OK" store brands for extra storage pantry. Seal A Meal chores all this week now.
Ordered and Delivered 10-19-2019.jpg
Ordered and Delivered 10-19-2019.jpg (28.58 KiB) Viewed 156 times

anomalous howard

#620 Post by anomalous howard » Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:15 am

Now that I'm knee deep in qt. jars of and black rice and a wide variety of dried beans, the measured pace of conversion of fiat currency into things comes to flours, spices, teas and related items. All now in transit, slated for proper storage methods upon arrival:
300 lbs. of flour, 6 lbs tea, about 75 lbs of spices, etc. A few of the below are readily grown indoors or out. However, most are not easily self-produceable in GSM/pole shift relevant prep/barter quantities.
Also, some of the earliest world fortunes in recorded history were built on spices. Check the "per oz." prices at the grocery store. Compare it to bulk "per lb" or "per 5 lb" and up pricing for bulk. Then consider future supply prospects.
Pot growers are missing the $ boat....except there's the buzz with that...heheh.
I went to myspicesage.com...a bulk dealer...and secured various weights of that listed below from among a reasonably large selection. (Not an endorsement...just a fact)

Beans & Rice = Surviving.
Bulk quantity spices = "...and thriving".

Any suggestion for future consideration is appreciated:

ALMOND FLOUR
ALUM POWDER
ANCHO CHILE POWDER
ARROWROOT POWDER
BAKING POWDER
BAKING SODA
BASIL GROUND
BAY LEAVES
BROWN CHIPOTLE POWDER
BULGUR WHEAT
CACAO POWDER RAW ORGANIC