What did you do to prepare today?

What did you do to prepare today?
CreoleGenius

Re: What did you do to prepare today?

#91 Post by CreoleGenius » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:42 am

Dirt;

I am sending the Cajun Navy in case mountain rescues are in the cards. They usually come skiing there during Mardi Gras time.

dirtmurphy

#92 Post by dirtmurphy » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:32 pm

Oh Creole :D The folks to the east of us are going to need your help more. I feel sorry for the lot of 'em. Losing everything is hard and unfortunately some will lose it all. Today I wrapped up the laundry and the dog crates are set up here in the house in case my chickens need extra protection from the storm. The house will smell bad but they feed my family and always make me smile so I can deal with the smell for a couple of days if need be. The coop can handle the rain but really strong winds combined with saturated soil make me nervous. The biggest threat to me personally will be falling trees.

Andy F

#93 Post by Andy F » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:48 pm

America's Cajun Navy sends more than 1,000 Rescuers with boats to the Carolinas http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/09/12/hu ... -help.html
A volunteer organization called America’s Cajun Navy says it's sending more than 1,000 people to North Carolina, South Carolina and Virginia ahead of Hurricane Florence.

“We are a search and rescue organization,” president John Billiot told Fox News, adding that they also have a K-9 team to “look for your loved ones.”

Billiot says America’s Cajun Navy is sending “maybe 12 or 1300” people to the Carolinas and Virginia and “800, almost 900 boats” which come from across the U.S.

“The count goes up almost every 10, 15 minutes,” he explained.

Billiot said the organization completed 35,000 rescues during Hurricane Harvey.

My prayers & heart goes out to all those affected by Hurricanes, it's heartening to see those Cajun Navy people who go into danger to help people survive.

Andy F

#94 Post by Andy F » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:48 am

National Guard Units from 14 states, Up to 5,000 Members ready to go to the Carolinas
ARLINGTON, Va. – As the outer edges of Hurricane Florence begin to hit the Carolina coast, close to 5,000 National Guard members are on duty throughout the East Coast in preparation for the storm's landfall, expected to take place early Friday morning.

"We are ready and capable," said Army Maj. Gen. R. Van McCarty, assistant adjutant general – Army, with the South Carolina National Guard. "We are positioned to respond and are ready to assist the citizens of South Carolina."

Soldiers and Airmen are pre-positioned throughout the Carolinas, the two states expected to bear the brunt of the storm, to handle potential operations including search and rescue, food and water distribution, debris removal and road clearing. Read More here - http://www.nationalguard.mil/News/Artic ... -florence/

They have some cool videos, Helicopters etc.
GO US Army! :D

N.Y. Air Guard sends personnel and gear for Florence
WESTHAMPTON BEACH, N.Y. -The New York Air National Guard's 106th Rescue Wing is deploying over 100 personnel, an HC-130 search and rescue aircraft, four Zodiac boats, and one HH-60 Pave Hawk rescue helicopter as part of the nation's Hurricane Florence response.

Based at F.S. Gabreski Air National Guard Base at the eastern tip of Long Island, the 106th is one of three Air National Guard search and rescue wings.
Read More here - http://www.nationalguard.mil/News/Artic ... -florence/

GO NY Air Guard! :D

CreoleGenius

#95 Post by CreoleGenius » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:51 pm

I couldn't help myself this morning and had to post the following sentence on facebook.

"When you are all finished signaling your virtue and sending snapchat selfies, come on over to help me weed the veggies and I'll cook up a nice gumbo."

Elew

#96 Post by Elew » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:25 pm

Dirt, we should have sent you many rolls of bubble wrap...tree and flood protection ;)

But really, we are thinking of you all.

Today, I did some emotional prep...sometimes art clears the energy, so we can send out calming intentions into the storms...

dirtmurphy

#97 Post by dirtmurphy » Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:48 am

That's pretty Elew! And I'm rolling thinking about the bubble wrap :lol: I want to thank everyone out there whose thoughts and prayers have gone out to all in the storm's path. We've only barely begun to get anything here in the mountains. I keep wishing it would hurry up and hit us so the coast will finally be left alone. I have family and friends who will be much more affected than I will, and I'm worried about them. Creole, please tell your Cajun Navy buds thank you from me. And let's all study this storm so we will be better prepared for our near future. It's too early to tell what all the strengths and weaknesses will be in this storm response but we will begin to know these things soon enough.

CreoleGenius

#98 Post by CreoleGenius » Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:30 am

It is my studied opinion that urban humanity will not prosper until everyone spends much more time in the out-of-doors, even to the point of eschewing constant shelter during inclement weather. What if the return of glaciation requires that we become more nomadic again? Are the homeless in California more prepared, or are they even more dependent upon the urban culture for survival? Energy comes from the outdoors, and is expended in the shelters.

Today I transplanted kale, cabbage, collards, green leaf lettuce and broccoli. Harvested purple sweet potatoes. I put the 3 adolescent chicks in with the big chickens, and now they have to grow up.

Andy F

#99 Post by Andy F » Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:41 am

I enjoy all your photos by our artists and farmers tales & sharing in forum. Maybe I'm weird, but I love the smell of wet dogs, and wet chickens and ducks. I had two chickens I hatched in incubator, Jake & Irma who lived ~8 years each. Both would fight over getting up in my lap every day while I sat in low chair having my mor'n coffee, then they'd twist to flop onto their back to be scratched all up under their wingy chicken pits & down on chest skin between the feather quills. Listening to them make groaning clu-clucks, it sure musta felt good, even a chicken enjoys human touch more than people know. But so did the ducks, Mallards, I had. It's a smell that kind of grows on you when you love your critters, and love them enough for their loving ways of giving back so unselfishly & trusting. All are funny little beggars. I MISS MY DOG! :|

dirtmurphy

#100 Post by dirtmurphy » Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:41 am

Today I canned apples and started learning about energy generation ( thanks Andy F)!