Supplements?

What did you do to prepare today?
Henrysmom

Supplements?

#1 Post by Henrysmom » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:44 pm

Getting serious about preparing for times ahead and had a thought today? Anyone sticking up on a few supplement to augment our diet if sun/food variety not available? I was thinking specifically of Vitamins D and C. I already take D as I was low and don't sunbathers. Vitamin C against scurvy? Just a thought. Love any feedback or ideas.

dirtmurphy

Re: Supplements?

#2 Post by dirtmurphy » Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:01 pm

Henrysmom wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:44 pm
Getting serious about preparing for times ahead and had a thought today? Anyone sticking up on a few supplement to augment our diet if sun/food variety not available? I was thinking specifically of Vitamins D and C. I already take D as I was low and don't sunbathers. Vitamin C against scurvy? Just a thought. Love any feedback or ideas.
Hey there Henrysmom! I picked up some good multivitamins on sale a while back, but here's a thought on the Vit D and low sun conditions. Mushrooms synthesize their own Vit D if turned upside down in the sun after harvesting. Growing mushrooms is pretty easy to do and doesn't necessarily take a lot of space. If you have a supply of mushrooms, you have a supply of Vit D. As far as the C goes, I dehydrate lemons and store them so they will be available in the future. I also grow passion fruit. It's a vertical vine so it's going to find the sun. Stocking up will only get us so far. We need to be able to produce our own supplements as well.

Andy F

#3 Post by Andy F » Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:53 pm

There are some good Vit C food charts here - http://apjcn.nhri.org.tw/server/info/bo ... ata4i.html

I been looking into Currants, dehydrating or canning does not preserve the C. I just got started though, and have only been reading up on my choices for longer term storage, also for growing. Back in shipping's earliest years, navy soldiers came to be called Limey's after they found out Limes cured Scurvy. Dental & the gums issues isn't often discussed, but should be. Bleeding gums is early sign of low C intake & can lead to dental caries.
Parsley is very high in C, but I'm not sure if dried preserves C.

Other than that, I've bought many supplements in bulk from bulksupplements.com & use a gram scale for dosing.
I'm not a fan of regular ascorbic acid for Vitamin C but it is better than nothing in a collapse situation.
I really like Liposomal C if done with the "ascorbyl" forms, then is good stuff.

Henrysmom

#4 Post by Henrysmom » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:11 pm

Thanks. I like the idea of a passion fruit, it might grow well here in So Cal. Of course I am thinking about the “normal” weather conditions, not what we might be facing soon. I do have three citrus growing, a lime, orange and minneola, but am looking for a dwarf lemon. Like the idea of mushrooms, someone recently gave me a kit but I am not sure where to get an appropriate log. Nothing near me..any ideas? Also making my own elderberry syrup, so far it’s been very effective for my family.

dirtmurphy

#5 Post by dirtmurphy » Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:19 pm

Elderberry is wonderful stuff! I have two elderberry bushes in my backyard. What kind of mushrooms are in your kit? Mushrooms are picky about their substrate although a very large number of mushroom species will grow in fresh(ish) oak logs.

Henrysmom

#6 Post by Henrysmom » Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:56 am

The mushroom kit is Shitake. I live in So Cal palm tree area so don't have access to fresh cut log. Any other thing I can use?

dirtmurphy

#7 Post by dirtmurphy » Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:55 pm

As far as I know, shiitake only grows on hardwoods. It is most commonly cultivated in logs but sawdust blocks are also used. I looked online to see if anyone sells the blocks and could only find blocks that had already been inoculated with mushroom spawn. Are there any mushroom clubs or cultivators in your area? If so, they will be your best resource. Sorry I couldn't help. But just so you know, oyster mushrooms will grow on a variety of substrates including straw and coffee grounds. Maybe you should look into starting with those.

Henrysmom

#8 Post by Henrysmom » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:50 pm

Thank you. The kit was a gift, so I didn’t get to pick the type. I might have access to cherry or walnut logs.. it any idea how fresh they must be?

dirtmurphy

#9 Post by dirtmurphy » Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:21 am

The logs should be inoculated within one month of being cut to avoid the risk of another fungus colonizing the log and out-competing the shiitake. It would probably be a good idea to contact the company who put together the kit to see if your particular strain will grow on the cherry or the walnut.

Andy F

#10 Post by Andy F » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:55 am

Picking logs, fresh cut & the how to guides - https://www.ashevillefungi.com/blogs/ne ... om-species