How to survive Drought,Floods in the GSM

What did you do to prepare today?
jonsouthern

How to survive Drought,Floods in the GSM

#1 Post by jonsouthern » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:45 am

Been a mild winter in Dunedin South Island New Zealand unusual when my neighbors in Australia experiencing the coldest.
I have been preparing garden plan for the coming spring for planting .Aiming for 70% self sufficiency this coming year 2018 :)
What are you guys doing to be more self sufficient in the future ?

Jon

millievanilla88

Re: How to survive Drought,Floods in the GSM

#2 Post by millievanilla88 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:07 pm

Hi John,
I look forward to hearing about your harvests. If you can get 70percent self sufficient for vegatables that would be amazing. Do you have established beds already and an allotment?

I aim to blgrow more of the staples that we use to cook. Like onions and garlic and potatoes etc.
This year I grew potaties but they didnt amount to hardly anything. I should have planted more plants, the one courgette plant we planted has been giving me consistant large cpurgettes for the past month. So will do those again. Yellow beans did well. Carrots need their own bed as they were stunted by the large leaves off our pumpkin plants.

I also need to make sure I support plants next year and grow upwards due to limited space. Everything is all crowded in our veg bed and cucumbers are not doing well due to lack of light and no where to spread to.
Regards
Millievanilla88

dirtmurphy

#3 Post by dirtmurphy » Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:41 am

As far as dealing with droughts and floods goes, increasing carbon in soils will help with both. There are several ways to do this. Plants will increase carbon on their own as approximately 70% of the sugars produced by photosynthesis are exuded by the roots to feed microbes and mycorrhizae as long as you aren't tilling or using synthetic fertilizers. The mycorrhizae need lots of carbon to get established so I mulch heavily with wood chips, King Stropharia mushroom spawn, and used chicken bedding as well as the compost I produce here. The key is feeding the soil. Once you build the carbon content to the point where the soil food web is reestablished, you will have less runoff. Check out Gabe Brown in North Dakota. He uses cover crops and livestock rotations to build soil but you can build soil carbon in other ways too. You should also check out Tradd Cotter for more info on using King Stropharia to build soil. Good luck with your gardens!

jonsouthern

#4 Post by jonsouthern » Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:22 am

Hello Millie you been thinking of harvest time and storing your stable vegetables ,potatoes, etc .
I am hoping for 70% self sufficiency with vegetables by increasing my growing area 3 times at the moment i getting 20%. yes we have quarter acre sections in New Zealand.
I have another three raised beds to be prepared for late spring planting ie beans,peas,pumpkin,sweetcorn and potatoes.
My other raised bed is mostly greens,silver beet,broccoli,cabbage, garlic, and spring onions .
Both our locations the climate is cool temperature so we have limited time to grow and harvest our surplus for the long winter month.
This year been tiring like you had that long dry period when summer started and we had the same here ,tiring to conserve water and mulching.
Just had several more frosts here this week just when i thought spring is with us .
Have a productive week.

Regards

Jon

jonsouthern

#5 Post by jonsouthern » Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:13 am

dirtmurphy wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:41 am
As far as dealing with droughts and floods goes, increasing carbon in soils will help with both. There are several ways to do this. Plants will increase carbon on their own as approximately 70% of the sugars produced by photosynthesis are exuded by the roots to feed microbes and mycorrhizae as long as you aren't tilling or using synthetic fertilizers. The mycorrhizae need lots of carbon to get established so I mulch heavily with wood chips, King Stropharia mushroom spawn, and used chicken bedding as well as the compost I produce here. The key is feeding the soil. Once you build the carbon content to the point where the soil food web is reestablished, you will have less runoff. Check out Gabe Brown in North Dakota. He uses cover crops and livestock rotations to build soil but you can build soil carbon in other ways too. You should also check out Tradd Cotter for more info on using King Stropharia to build soil. Good luck with your gardens!
Hi dirtmurphy thanks for the information ,that no dig method of gardening sounds awesome ,building up the soil with compost.
I am halve way there just don't have enough compost made at the moment but have lots of wood chips

dirtmurphy

#6 Post by dirtmurphy » Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:57 pm

Here in the southern Appalachians, we have predominantly clay soils that crack after only a few days without rain. I have been improving my soils piecemeal since we moved into our house using a variety of techniques. Today I loosened soil in the backyard with a spading fork and put wood ash and dolomitic limestone in the holes. That method has worked well to break up compaction in my front yard garden spaces and I'm hoping that it will do the same in the back. The capacity of soils to capture and retain water is my main focus when it comes down to coping with droughts and floods. Once the clay is less compacted I can spread compost and sow seeds on the bare areas. I need to get a variety of plants growing back there for chicken forage.

CreoleGenius

#7 Post by CreoleGenius » Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:55 am

Hurricane headed right for me? We will know soon enough. My property will become mush.

dirtmurphy

#8 Post by dirtmurphy » Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:48 am

Hurricane headed right for me? We will know soon enough. My property will become mush.
I was just thinking of you and wishing you and yours safe passage through the storm.

Andy F

#9 Post by Andy F » Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:53 am

We're all thinking of you. Prayers, that you stay safe & keep prepping with a good eye out.
"Conspiracy Theorist: One who asks legitimate questions about shady activities of people who're well known to be liars." https://www.archive.org :mrgreen: http://www.secretsinplainsight.com/

Elew

#10 Post by Elew » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:35 pm

This is pretty cool to know, we are going to give it a try in the RV

How to reduce HUMIDITY and get rid of MOLD on or OFF GRID ~ works after HURRICANES

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gz14chHw7NU