Portable Ham like I have.

Radio discussion, networking
CreoleGenius

Portable Ham like I have.

#1 Post by CreoleGenius » Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:50 pm

Gekko

Re: Portable Ham like I have.

#2 Post by Gekko » Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:58 pm

Nice, we should put together short term and long term prepping lists to include tested items like this.
I know nothing about HAM radios, I guess this will work anywhere in the world with a limited range?

SmartLikeTruck

#3 Post by SmartLikeTruck » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:03 am

USB programing cable and open source CHIRP software are must haves for these radios.

https://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/Home

Trying to program them via the keypad is possible but annoying to say the least.

harrybrown

#4 Post by harrybrown » Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:35 pm

Im in the UK & keep a set of 6 of these handy, 4 pcs BaoFeng 888S Walkie Talkies 2 Way Radios Long Range UHF 400-470MHZ 16CH UK
as people say, you can never be too prepared & communication ability will be a life saver, get a good mile+ out of them, tested to make sure.

They also do battery backup packs for these so mains recharging or batteries have you covered for most situ's.
I dont know much about radio comms, used a CB as a kid in UK, but know enough to get me out of trouble
an reading what you guys have put here all helps.. cheers

As for HAM, i'll just to to see..

Harry

Storm

#5 Post by Storm » Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:55 am

General Class operator license holder here.

I have 2 Baofeng FP8-HP radios. These are adequate for Simplex use but far better with a truck mount antenna and Repeater access. I have spoken to station holders over 50 miles away when using my truck mount antenna and hitting linked repeaters in my area. That's not bad at all for an 8 watt portable. Currently working with a local subject matter expert to upgrade and improve these radio capabilities. I'll post the upgrades when I have them in place. I agree with the other poster. CHIRP software and USB cable an absolute necessity to program these as both will save you hours of frustration doing single entry frequency programming.

As an aside note, you can recharge the OEM batteries in the field with solar chargers giving you extended operating capability for long running/emergency field operations.

-Storm
Learn more. Help others. Never quit.
If you stop by, please say hello. I am interested in knowing who you are and what you are working on.