Howdy from Texas

This is where you introduce yourself.
Homesteader

Howdy from Texas

#1 Post by Homesteader » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:57 pm

Howdy folks,

I'm new to the forum, this is my first post. I found this place via IAF's YouTube channel, which I've followed basically since it was launched.

I was born and raised in deep East Texas, and grew up farming and ranching. Still do as an adult, but on a smaller scale. I've got a piece of land in North Texas (about 20 acres) and we're doing the homesteading thing. We've got cattle, chickens, garden, orchard, berry bushes... that kind of thing.

My profession is agriculture, although I'm on the "business" end of things I do personally witness many of the signs that IAF discusses on YouTube. Leads me to believe the rest of what he's got to say!

Looking forward to learning from everyone and contributing to the community!

- Homesteader

Andy F

Re: Howdy from Texas

#2 Post by Andy F » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:44 pm

Welcome Homesteader from Texas. Gorgeous country there! You're in a good area for growing foods, I think.
IAF and Oppenheimer are both awesome guys, they sure do know their stuff on GSM.
:)
I have a Library. Winter bookworm on history. Anarchist. https://www.archive.org :mrgreen:

Homesteader

Re: Howdy from Texas

#3 Post by Homesteader » Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:23 pm

Thanks Andy!

Yes, I think I'm in a good spot, although we've had some weather-driven challenges the last few years. Late cold, wind, unexpected frosts, that kind of thing. Had a terrible garden this year - we planted everything and lost it all to a very late frost. Planted again, and it got really dry before most of the plants had taken good root. Then we had an absolute deluge of rainfall in September and October, and the fall garden hardly got any sun!

Once it got some sun, it froze in very early November (a month early for us).

So we're going to build some hoops over the raised beds and try again next year. Overall I think we're in a good spot, but that remains to be seen!