Hello, I'm here to help

This is where you introduce yourself.
walterceal@yahoo.com

Hello, I'm here to help

#1 Post by walterceal@yahoo.com » Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:20 am

My name is Walter Ceal. I am a unique person as I am a high functioning autistic who has enjoyed a rich, learned life in which I have been primarily employed as a renovation carpenter. I have always been fascinated by human disasters, the rise and fall of civilizations and almost anything that had to do with math or science from a very early age. I have learned to program code in seven languages, built many interesting houses and spent my fifty years engaged in learning, with my main interests being history and physics.

I saw the changes in the sun's behavior back in the early 80's and and started doing a bit more research into solar cycles, magnetism and other types of earth / sun relationships. I didn't come up with much at that time actually but it's always been something that stuck in my mind. I've obviously come across a great deal more information lately, as have most people who are here now. A good way to get the conversation started for me is two questions: 1) What color is the sun supposed to be? 2) What color is the sun? Most people remember that our sun should appear "yellow" and will now see it to be "white"... I have had good success in sparking interest with strangers but most of my family believes I am worried about nothing... I am starting to empathise with the "old guy on the corner with the sign"...

I am well versed in many fields of science, have a lot of experiencing building things, am a professional troubleshooter and have more than a passing familiarity with technology. If there is anything at all that I can do to help someone in this forum prepare for what is most likely to come our way next, let me know. I am here to help.

Walter.

(As YT / FB / TW / G are all compromised by a new form of AI script, I recommend everyone find other ways to share critical information)

Farside

Re: Hello, I'm here to help

#2 Post by Farside » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:17 pm

Hi Walter and welcome!

Yes you can help right away! I'm working on a pastured broiler enclosure and posting in this discussion forum on my progress.

I have a prototype jointing system for constructing the roof. Where the peak joins the ridge beam is a complex joint and Id be interested in your opinion / thoughts on alternative approaches.

walterceal@yahoo.com

Complex jointing

#3 Post by walterceal@yahoo.com » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:36 pm

I took a look at the diagrams, right after I looked up what a pastured broiler enclosure was.... :D

Without more specific information about material types and dimensions of the building materials, I would have to assume the difficulty in joining at the ridge beam involves the shallow angle of attachment based on your diagrams. If you are using lumber, I would suggest using hurricane hangers on the ridge beam and set the rafters in place and fasten the hangers to them. If you are using round piping, I would suggest 22 1/2 degree angle pipe connectors such as you might use on a gazebo.

I hope that helps?
Walter.

Farside

Re: Complex jointing

#4 Post by Farside » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:43 am

walterceal@yahoo.com wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:36 pm
I took a look at the diagrams, right after I looked up what a pastured broiler enclosure was.... :D

Without more specific information about material types and dimensions of the building materials, I would have to assume the difficulty in joining at the ridge beam involves the shallow angle of attachment based on your diagrams. If you are using lumber, I would suggest using hurricane hangers on the ridge beam and set the rafters in place and fasten the hangers to them. If you are using round piping, I would suggest 22 1/2 degree angle pipe connectors such as you might use on a gazebo.

I hope that helps?
Walter.
So I'm building this to be light enough to move easily, but heavy enough to stay put in the wind. The enclosure needs to flex enough so that it conforms to uneven ground but rigid enough that it doesn't collapse or fall apart. I'm also trying to build this cheaply.

So based on these parameters, I chose to use 1'' X 2'' dimensional timber (it's actually 3/4'' X 1 1/2'' if you measure it). I'm using 1/4'' bolts of various lengths, and 1 1/8'' wood screws.

One big design factor is that I need to be able to disassemble it, transport it, and reassemble it on site (as well as disassemble it for winter storage). This means that everything is made up of panels 4 to 6 feet long. Likewise, each roof truss is made of two pieces that will bolt together (each piece is a triangle).

Right now I intend to run a bolt through the ridge beam and into a spacer block between these two triangles, and secure it with a barrel nut. I'm concerned that a 3/8'' hole for the nut, and a 1/4'' hole for the bolt might weaken the wooden block too much. Anyway, I'll post some photos tomorrow when I get a chance.

walterceal@yahoo.com

#5 Post by walterceal@yahoo.com » Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:38 pm

Okay, I think I have a much better idea of how you are putting this together now. The 1/4 inch bolts centred in the 1 1/2 inch wood will leave only 5/8 inch of structural material on either side of the hole. I can't imagine that lasting more than a year before splitting apart without being reinforced somewhat... Keeping this on the cheap, I think we need to come up with a different means of fastening the two halves at the ridge beam. I quickly drafted a picture (good thing I didn't become an artist...) to show an alternative I used to build some low slope greenhouses a few years ago.

If you laid out 4 small wall panels in 5 foot X 5 foot sections on 16 inch centres, with each of the joists cut to 4.5 degrees on one end and the 1 X 2 plate attached to the angled ends to match the 9 degree slope of the roof, you can eliminate a ridge beam as each panel would meet up flat in the centre and could be attached directly to one another using only screws and washers. An alternative to screws could be C-clamps, sink under-mount clamps or to add reinforcement plates at the joints to allow larger bolts.

With such a shallow slope for the roof, most of the pressure will be felt in the centre of the structure and without a post structure to handle some of the weight, it all comes down to how well we fasten the panels together. Another option is to reduce the size of your bolts to 1/8 inch and use two sizes of washers on both sides to distribute the pressure to a larger area of the wood. This will be slightly flexible and strong enough for rain and wind depending on the surfacing material. If you are using corrugated metal, the 1 X 2 inch framing will be fine for weight and strength but plywood would be too heavy for this dimension of lumber to handle, especially if it gets wet.

You can expect the roof to want to flatten out under load, so it would be best if the other end of the panels being supported on the outside edge were also fastened to the wall structure to help prevent "sliding". The more stress we can take off the centre joint, the longer your roof structure will last. Not to throw a wrench into this for you or anything.... but is there some reason you don't want to have a single plane / pitch, low slope roof without all the joinery involved? I assure you that in carpentry, just as with electricity, plumbing... the more joints you make, the weaker the build becomes.... (and more time consuming... :D )

Andy F

#6 Post by Andy F » Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:33 pm

"Walter.
(As YT / FB / TW / G are all compromised by a new form of AI script, I recommend everyone find other ways to share critical information)"

IamnotsureifAIcanorhasbeenprogrammedtodecodeastringofletters.Itprobablyalreadydoes.
Probablyprogrammedwithpiglatintoo. :geek:

We used to use symbols for letters and coded vowels using variations and double & triple consonants; ppp was an o. We'd reverse symbols of every 3rd word, then the 7th word etc. We were geeks.
Freemasonry does similar. Also Odd Fellows & Rebekas do as well.
"Conspiracy Theorist: One who asks legitimate questions about shady activities of people who're well known to be liars." https://www.archive.org :mrgreen: http://www.secretsinplainsight.com/