Hello from Hessia, Germany

This is where you introduce yourself.
danielem0617

Hello from Hessia, Germany

#1 Post by danielem0617 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:58 pm

Hello all!

first of all, thanks @Christian for offering this forum, as a place for like-minded individuals to exchange!

I am in my early 30s and currently still living the "city lifestyle" in Berlin, with an office job in IT. I've "woken up" in 2015 though and began to question everything what was told to us as the absolute truth. It was like many "Dominoes" of my believe system collapsing one after another within a short time period. Climate change was a hard one though, with lots of cognitive dissonance attached to it. I admit, I took part in a "Climate Change summer school" once, financed by the EU (yeah, a lot of red flags there, hehe). So, it was hard to "let go" of these beliefs but eventually I found the IceAgeFarmer and the information provided resonated very much.

So now I am at the point where I want to get out of the city and move to a more rural area, mid 2019. The thing is, I don't really have a clue yet about growing food, so my current idea is to first offer my manpower to work on a farm, e.g. in Austria, Italy, etc. Of course, working for free, except food and accommodation. But there are several programs, where this is common.

And I hope to collect some further inspirations here.

Kink

Re: Hello from Hessia, Germany

#2 Post by Kink » Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:11 am

Hey Daniel! Welcome aboard amigo!

Growing is fun and easy once you understand the basics, I think getting an apprenticeship on a farm or somewhere horticulture wise is a great idea! Checkout the Grow Grow Grown section, it has some good information for even beginners to grasp. Like this thread, on Things You Can Plant in Fall in a Cold Climat.

Here's some good resources to get your vocab/understanding formed:
https://garden.org/learn/articles/view/1578/
https://salvageandstitch.com/2018/03/13 ... -food-101/
https://greenfuture.io/sustainable-livi ... beginners/

danielem0617

#3 Post by danielem0617 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:00 pm

Thank you for the information & inspirations, I am looking through the material!

Andy F

#4 Post by Andy F » Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:04 am

Welcome here Daniele! You live in a beautiful country. I hope you get to go rural as planned. Nothing more beautiful than seeing the elder farmers in their oxen pulled produce wagons made of all wood. Picturesque!
I spent 2 years there living on the economy at Hohenfels GE, big house a few Km from base on Sophie Scholl Strasse. I only wish I were still there.
I follow those guys still, on lower left here is some good weather information, and other resources for the Bavaria area https://home.army.mil/bavaria/index.php
They always do update their news asap. Keep the faith, we'll all get through this :D
Happy New Year!

danielem0617

#5 Post by danielem0617 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:33 pm

Thanks Andy! I wish you a happy new year too!

In the past, I've always been sceptical about the ongoing US military presence in Germany. I did not understand, why the US military is still there despite living in peace for 20 years now (after the fall of the Soviet Union). But now, I am kind of glad about having some US military here, as this once beautiful country is being destabilized rapidly. You know the game where you try to imagine things to do to run a country into the ground - to eventually do the opposite and improve things? Most of the destructive policies I could envision are currently being executed. And the quality of life, safety and financial security is worsening year after year.

That being said, the cities (especially the big ones) are worse off than the countryside. Especially when the food price rises accelerate and shortages might happen, cities will probably not be the nicest places to be.. ;)
I read a bit of Solzhenitsyn where he described the horrors of Soviet cities, whereas the rural life (where people produced most of their own food) was relatively normal.

So, yes, let's keep our faith and work together and we will make it!

God bless you all!

Andy F

#6 Post by Andy F » Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:17 am

Because Germany is still under US Military & USA Government "Occupation". Otherwise it is a business, Hohenfels is a worldwide training ground for other countries military soldiers.
USA has control of all "news & information" in GE until the year 2099.
At end of WW2 (a big LIE) there were around 250 US Military bases just in GE.
Last I looked, there were around 38 USA bases still operating. That is what a Military Occupation is, to lock down and control GE peoples.
Go to the PDF Zone, and read the PDF books, "The Gulag Archipegalo" & you'll figure out where they moved to after Russia's October Revolution. It was not Russian, and now USA is an occupied nation.

I hate the whole thing, it is evil. Despite all that, I believe you'd be very safe around the bases. Hey, I miss those town get-togethers on Christmas Eve's down in the center of town, and other seasons are the town marching bands, and the Bells. One thing Germany is noted for is Christmas & good musicians.