Yet another PNW'er

This is where you introduce yourself.
steve98604

Yet another PNW'er

#1 Post by steve98604 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:47 pm

Pacific Northwest--a lousy place to grow crops in an ice age, I'm thinking. Moved here when reality was global warming and the biggest problem was water. Oh well.

In keeping with the spudpcolypse theme, we too got poor yield on our potatoes last summer. Kept a number around in hopes that epigenetic thing will kick in this year.
Looking forward to ideas regarding cold adapted crops for this area and maybe a greenhouse plan or two.

Regards,
Steve

Christian--the login process is unsecure (at least for me). Something I've done wrong or a know issue?

Tim Gard

Re: Yet another PNW'er

#2 Post by Tim Gard » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:44 pm

Hey you are my first post answer! Have you considered a Geo-thermal heat source? Potatoes are one of the best crops for nutritional support. (I an sure there is Irish blood in here somewhere!) So lets talk about your problem. Potatoes are a pretty tough plant because they are a root crop. Short term temperature issues can be handled. But when the ground freezes all bets are off. 59 to 68 degrees is optimal. How well would your crop do if you could maintain these temps for the entire growing season? And what if you could do it without fire or massive amounts of electricity? Can this be done? You betcha Hoss! Here is how you start. Contact your local well drilling company. The older they are the better. The old guys know what there is locally under the dirt. Many times they have a sweet spot for clean water. If they go too deep they get into contamination with sulfur and other elements that make for bad drinking water. But it may have a temperature over 60 degrees, especially in your area. If you were to drill into those depths, and draw and circulate that warm water through pipes in you hot house soil, then back into the ground, you may have a full term source for potato fanny heat! And as the price of spuds skyrocket, that well driller might fall in love with you! And you will become known as the PNW potato chip king! Then in the warm summer months, you can draw that water through a solar heater and store that energy in your Geo-thermal source for the next cold spell! For a tiny bit of water circulator electricity!

steve98604

#3 Post by steve98604 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:35 pm

Interesting ideas. A bit beyond the scale of our little 2ac plot though. Thanks...

steve98604

#4 Post by steve98604 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:37 pm

Interesting ideas. A bit beyond the scale of our little 2ac plot though. Thanks...

Agnostic

#5 Post by Agnostic » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:47 am

Hmmmm, interesting idea. How deep do you reckon you'd have to go to get appreciably heated water?
Pumping from depth could be challenging, unless you hit an artesian.