Hello from So Californ

This is where you introduce yourself.
Henrysmom

Hello from So Californ

#1 Post by Henrysmom » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:05 am

I am new to this forum but have been watching Christian videos a while. I live in So Cal just miles from the beach, and in my 59 years I have always lived within a 17 mile radius. One of the benefits of this is being very in tune to weather patterns over a long period of time. In my lifetime I have seen big changes and a definite cooling trend. I have been a backyard gardener for a long time and our normally 11 month growing season has shortened over the past couple of years.

I live in a typical suburban home and while I would love to move to an area where I’d have more land, due to multiple family issues I am stuck here. That in mind, I have worked hard to start growing a good percentage of my family’s produce, have stocked up supplies and food, and am looking into other things to do to insure my family does well in what lies ahead, worse case scenario.

My goals are to look into solar power for our home (there is no wood for many miles to use for fuel), continue to garden and expand the amount of output (considering aquaponic set up in future), increase my food storage to several years supply, and learn as much as I can from you all. I know in a real. SHTF situation I am a goner, but if things don’t get TOO bed, I want my family and I to make it through as best we can. Kim

walterceal@yahoo.com

Re: Hello from So Californ

#2 Post by walterceal@yahoo.com » Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:08 pm

Welcome to the forum! I am just turned 50 myself so I can identify with some of the problems you are likely to have in the coming years. If I may offer a suggestion here, you might be better off buying a couple of low-speed start up basket spinner style wind turbines than to get solar panels. You can buy an 800 watt basket spinner wind turbine for about $300 on E-bay. As these only need about a 2 mph breeze to get started, they can provide power almost anywhere, night and day. I have plenty of wood to burn where I live in northern B.C, Canada so I went with thermo-electric for power production. You might have some difficulty with solar panels if there is a lot of cloud cover but as you live so close to the ocean, I don't think you will ever be short on having a wind or breeze there.

I'm glad to hear you are an experienced gardener, I just got started on that myself. Lot's to learn!

Walter.

Andy F

#3 Post by Andy F » Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:17 pm

Welcome to IAForum!
Walter gave some good advice on the basket spinner, I'd recently started looking into those.
Solar, it depends on your sun hours and also future sun hours as GSM progresses. Although Solar is good, the initial investment can be high for powering a home. I would suggest to go for minimum of 200 Watt system, on up to 600 Watts, mainly to power small appliances & tools, charge batteries. 10 to 20 Watt panels could charge batteries for radios & communication sets.

Since you are in gorgeous SoCal, could you go over to Beach Cities and put some GSM sense into my Kid's blocked head?
I am just joking, he's not even listening to me with reason based on Science.

Henrysmom

#4 Post by Henrysmom » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:43 pm

Thanks guys. I will look into the wind basket, it would be perfect at my home because we have a slight breeze all the time. Of course I live in the Peoples Republic of California, and the city I live in is very restrictive. I will have to check if it’s allowed.

Andy I hear you on your kids. I don’t know much about the science or even if it’s valid, but my experience of 60 years in the same place tell me something serious is going on. I’ve tried to talk to people but they always fall back on man made global warming argument. Perhaps your kids haven’t lived here long enough to see the gradual changes. When I was a child 50 years ago there were plenty of 90-105 degree days, I remember because of beach days. Now we rarely get a 90 degree day and our beaches are too windy and cold to enjoy unless it is 90 degrees at my house (3 miles inland)

I figure even if all this prepping is for naught I am still ahead. The way food prices are skyrocketing, putting some away make good financial sense if nothing more. Kim

Andy F

#5 Post by Andy F » Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:00 am

I can't remember which thread it is, but Kink had started the Infographic thread, and he posted a really good Infographic on a potato grow bin 2 foot by 2 foot square. EDIT to add link, it is at bottom of this post viewtopic.php?p=2589#p2589
I modified the design, using bolts for ease of removing the planks & not having the threaded wood screws eventually strip bare.
I also gave the source & cost for ordering them & to save a lot of money vs buying local. They ship fast too.
I think it's your best bet for small space grow.

Also, I'd found today, a UK new technology of a type of single or layered membrane that filters Sea Water & removes all salinity. So you being near ocean, it would be a no brainer to look into it more. I will try to re find it again.

Found it, but I've not looked into it, just found it today. The bottom on was the original. This one at Amazing, is pretty good.
One of the real issues in GSM will be water availability, especially if grid does go down. So this type of filter, according to what I'd figured out, would be best for survival situation for my Kid near beach. I put on my list to send to Kid, and may get one for myself.
Filtering water ability would be great bartering skill & tool item, the water itself, not the filter.

The 0.01 Micron is a 10 nano particle size & will filter salinity from sea water & can filter up to 793 gallons water:
Water Purifier Pump with Replaceable Carbon 0.01 Micron -Virus and Heavy Metal Tested Water Filter, 4 Filter Stages, Portable Outdoor Emergency and Survival Gear - Camping, Hiking, Backpacking
https://www.amazon.com/Purifier-Replace ... ay&sr=8-14

Development of a Desalination Membrane Bioinspired by Mangrove ...
https://pubs.acs.org/doi/full/10.1021/acsnano.6b07001
Dec 14, 2016 ... Plants in saline areas must effectively filter saline water to ensure their survival, ... using a Zetasizer Nano (Malvern Co., Worcestershire, UK).