Fermenting

Farside

Fermenting

#1 Post by Farside » Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:36 pm

I think we need a fermentation topic. I've noticed fresh produce is unusually expensive this winter, and it got me thinking about food preservation techniques.

For the past few years I've been meaning to make sauerkraut when cabbage goes on sale. and at the moment it's 99 cents a pound which is cheaper than I can grow it.

So I bought some cabbage and salt, and last night I made sauerkraut. The lacto-fermentation process is a simple one, and as long as you follow a few rules it is a great way to preserve fresh produce. In this case, I sliced up 20 pounds of cabbage, added salt and was pretty much done in under 20 mins. I cut each cabbage into half, and then sliced each half up. I then dumped the sliced half cabbage into a 5 gallon pail and sprinkled some salt over the top. I didn't even measure the salt, just applied enough to get a good coverage (to season, not pack with salt!). Once this was done, I let it sit for a few hours because I had to go out and run some errands.

When I got home, I grabbed a length of clean 2X2 and used it to smush up the shredded cabbage that was now sitting in salty water that had been drawn out of the cabbage. After about 10 mins of smushing, I added a few cups of apple wine that I have aging (just for taste), and transferred everything over to a 2 1/2 gallon plastic pail. I sealed the lid, and put it in the basement to ferment. I'll check it every day to make sure the lid hasn't blown off, and to make sure all the cabbage remains submerged.

This isn't the first thing I've lacto-fermented. My first attempt was with pickles. It was quite messy because I got fermentation overflow. But it worked out. I even ate some of the pickles 2 years after I made them and no I did not get sick and die. They were actually quite good.

So my key advice to everyone is to give it a go. Lacto-fermenting is really, really simple. The lacto-baccillus that are responsible for the preservation actually come from your skin, and so a high level of sanitation is actually counterproductive to the process. The combination of salt, lactobacillus, and an anaerobic environment are extremely hostile to all organisms that cause food poisoning. Attent to those three things and you are good to go.

Andy F

Re: Fermenting

#2 Post by Andy F » Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:21 pm

Thank you. Very interesting, wow 5 gallons! Can you put a heavy dinner plate or two to keep the cabbage down under surface?
The German style Sauerkraut crocks have a separate ceramic disk weight just for that purpose.
I wanted to buy one, but gaaaaaaaaaahhh! They're so expensive. Love Sauerkraut.

Andy F

#3 Post by Andy F » Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:34 am

I spent a year in Tong Du Chon, So Korea, much time over down range. Home made Fermented hot/spicy Kimchi became addicting very quickly. So did Korean BBQ and their dried fish, really, all their foods were good.
Anyhow, here is the best recipe webpage I'd found a while back for making it from a Korean recipe. I'd made it a few times, it is good and also easy. I'd been wanting to figure out how to store it very long term, not sure if feasible yet.
One or both of the women are Korean Canadians.

Kimchi: The Beginner’s Guide to Fermenting
https://www.the3spoons.com/blog/2017/11 ... fermenting

Maangchi's Kimchi recipe has always been [the3spoons] go-to for Korean recipes here at Maangchi's website https://www.maangchi.com/recipe/easy-kimchi
She has videos and written instructions, lot of step by step pictures. I kind of see her as a Korean version and equal of Paula Deen. Deen's Southern foods are so very good, but what it does for widening the wimmen's hips.

I'm working up nerve to make her bok choi tofu soup recipe "Cheonggyeongchae dubu-doenjangguk 청경채 두부된장국" on her page.
Trouble is, it has a few irregular ingredients for just making a couple times if I don't like it. I'd like to learn how to make Tofu.
Presently, I'm sinking 80% of extra money into pantry stocking.

Andy F

#4 Post by Andy F » Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:22 pm

Nourishing Days -- This one has a lot of good information on how to store lacto-fermented vegetables https://www.nourishingdays.com/2017/05/ ... egetables/