Grains, Flours, Baking, Pasta etc...

Elew

Grains, Flours, Baking, Pasta etc...

#1 Post by Elew » Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:41 pm

I will start with Wheat types, but hope everyone adds on...

There are various types of Wheat Berries, and each has specific properties and uses.

Hard Red & Hard White Wheat

Hard wheats have the highest gluten, so are very good for breads. Milling them fairly fine will enable the gluten to activate best, somewhere between a regular and pastry grind. You can also add in Vital Wheat Gluten to give your breads more rise, making them lighter and softer.

Hard Red wheat will create the brown breads most people think of, and Hard White will create a lighter colour bread...but both are good.

Think Hard Wheat for recipes using yeast...

Hard Wheat has more protein than soft wheat, if the growing conditions were favorable (freezing, drought or flood reduces the nutrients some)

Soft White Wheat

This is good for all purpose flour...and used for all recipes using a leavening agent such as baking soda, or baking powder. Mill between a regular grind and a pastry grind for a nice all purpose flour.

Mill to a fine pastry flour for fine baking, light cakes, cookies, pastry etc...

Soft white wheat has less protein than hard wheat.

Durum Wheat

This is what we use for Pasta...it has the most protein, but tends to be too heavy and dense for breads and baking. Mill to a regular (med grind).

We usually mix 50/50 Durum to soft white all purpose, because it makes a really nice pasta dough.

~~~~~~~~~

So there are some basics, and we can go on from there

Elew

Re: Grains, Flours, Baking, Pasta etc...

#2 Post by Elew » Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:22 pm

Grain Mills

There are quite a few home mills out there, and I don't know much on the various designs https://www.lehmans.com/search?w=grain+mill

We use the Wonder Mill while on grid... https://www.amazon.com/Powerful-Electri ... FNATHSFHNB
I can grind 5 lb of flour in under 10 minutes, so I just pull out the mill every once in a while. I can say the Wonder Mill works very well.

We also have a Wonder Mill Junior for manual milling...but I think the others Lehman's has would work very well too. just do your research :)

In general grain mills cannot be used to make nut butters. Some (like the wonder mill junior) do have stone wheels and nut butter attachments. http://www.thewondermill.com/index.php/ ... ng/page/53

Elew

#3 Post by Elew » Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:32 pm

Griddle Cakes (aka pancakes) recipe

When we are in the grocery store, I see boxes of pancake mix, and wonder what they could possibly have in them. So...I wanted to share the best griddle cake recipe. We have used this for years...

1 egg
1 C milk
2 T light oil
1 C flour (all purpose soft white, you can add a little hard red or white for a fuller flavor)
2 t baking powder
1 T sugar (optional)
1/2 t salt

If you like thicker pancakes change to;

2 eggs
3/4 C milk

High altitude, add 1/4 C milk or an extra egg

Making them thin, they are great for PB & J later, we make various sandwiches on them.

We add berries, other fruit, veggies, and all sorts of things, but the basic recipe is so simple. Just plop it all in a bowl and mix well, then add in any extras.

Elew

#4 Post by Elew » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:37 pm

I made a basic bread today with Hard White Wheat, so I took some photos along the way and made a blog post showing the steps and recipe...

Making Bread from Home Milled Wheat ... https://www.minds.com/ElewMompittseh/bl ... 2150738944

Phamynn

#5 Post by Phamynn » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:37 am

My pasta recipe:

2 1/2 cups flour
6 eggs
dash of olive oil

I have chickens, and get tons of eggs. I love this recipe because I use half a dozen per pound of dried pasta. I'll actually be making about 4 batches in the next couple days. =D

Andy F

#6 Post by Andy F » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:19 am

Phamynn wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:37 am
My pasta recipe:

2 1/2 cups flour
6 eggs
dash of olive oil

I have chickens, and get tons of eggs. I love this recipe because I use half a dozen per pound of dried pasta. I'll actually be making about 4 batches in the next couple days. =D
Are you using a hand type pasta mill? Whatever they're called???
I want one (I think), and a drying rack but I may DIY one.
I've a lot of 1/3" round dowels in 3' lengths & drilling holes in a 2"x2" with a heavy base.
When someone rejects you, don't fear, or suffer, for they are probably not worth your time ~Unknown.

Elew

#7 Post by Elew » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:11 pm

We use an Atlas manual pasta machine...I like them the best so far. Great for rolling out super thin cracker dough too :)
This is the one we use, kindof mid range price wise... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00170EB1Q?
We had an old one that worked great, but this one is better.

And for a drying rack we just use these 3.00 kitchen towel racks. If you need the bars wider you can slide a bit of PVC over them. I got the idea from my grandmother and so far it works fine. I like that they just fold away and are right there out of the way when we need them.
Looks like they are 6.58 now, but they might be less in other places. https://www.amazon.com/HOMZ-2341-Swingi ... +Towel+Bar

Last edited by Elew on Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Elew

#8 Post by Elew » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:13 pm

Phamynn wrote:
My pasta recipe:

2 1/2 cups flour
6 eggs
dash of olive oil

Thanks! I will have to try it...we usually use 3 eggs, but your recipe sounds like a nice egg noodle. I love egg noodles :)

Phamynn

#9 Post by Phamynn » Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:31 pm

Andy F wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:19 am
Phamynn wrote:
My pasta recipe:

2 1/2 cups flour
6 eggs
dash of olive oil

Are you using a hand type pasta mill? Whatever they're called???
I want one (I think), and a drying rack but I may DIY one.
I've a lot of 1/3" round dowels in 3' lengths & drilling holes in a 2"x2" with a heavy base.
I use this Pasta Machine : https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01 ... UTF8&psc=1

And several types of drying racks, depending on what I'm making.

Elew

#10 Post by Elew » Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:47 pm

Stove Top Pita made with Home Milled Wheat Flour

I made this with All Purpose Soft White, milled on the pastry setting. Full recipe and how to in the blog post linked

https://www.minds.com/ElewMompittseh/bl ... 6223516672