Growing Indoors

Farside

Re: Growing Indoors

#21 Post by Farside » Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:17 am

So I don't like those totes. I'm taking them back. I can fit 3 smaller ones side by side on one shelf that contain 11 plants each.

I'm going to try growing pole beans in 2.5 gallon pails using the same technique. As the year progresses, I'm going to need some shade and I'm thinking what could be better then beans?

Farside

#22 Post by Farside » Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:56 am

OK so I'm making holes tonight in the lids. I'm going to be putting 2 inch net pots in on 4 inch (center to center) spacings. I'm offsetting the holes to maximize the number of plants in the space, and realized that if I have three identical totes side by side then the holes along the edges of the middle tote will be crowded up against the holes aon the other totes either side. So my middle tote only has 9 holes and when they go together, they make a continuous pattern.

The literature recommends 5 or 6 inch spacing for leafy greens like lettuce. But this is for growing mono-cultures (all lettuce). I plan to grow lettuce and inter-plant tall plants like basil, cilantro, mizuna, and arugula. This way, the lettuce can spread underneath the other plants. Well... that's the theory anyway.

Farside

#23 Post by Farside » Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:41 pm

Now I have the tubs I like. They are 6 inches deep, and I can fit three of these side by side on one shelf.
I've drilled the 2 inch holes in the lids, and now I'm gluing aluminum foil to the outside of the containers to keep the light out, and reflect heat. This is to keep algae and bacterial growth in the liquid to a minimum.
Hydroponic Tubs.jpg
Hydroponic Tubs.jpg (94.21 KiB) Viewed 93 times

Farside

#24 Post by Farside » Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:33 pm

Here is my first tub with 5 lettuce and 2 spinach. I have some basil and cilantro seeds germinating by the heater and will put them into the empty holes once they sprout.
kratzky.jpg
kratzky.jpg (94.46 KiB) Viewed 68 times

Farside

#25 Post by Farside » Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:46 pm

The seeds I put in there have sprouted, but they take a while. I've created a high density sprouting system out on upside down cake container I got from the supermarket. I had to buy a cake. And eat said cake. The sacrifices we make for science :-)