How does your garden grow?

SeanMcGreen

Re: How does your garden grow?

#11 Post by SeanMcGreen » Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:24 am

Christian, you mentioned two trees that you planted for long term food supply one was the olive tree what other tree do you recommend for northeast Oklahoma please

I can get a few in before too warm.

Sean McGreen
keep up the good work

dirtmurphy

#12 Post by dirtmurphy » Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:09 pm

Normally I would post this under Daily Steps but since this is the growing section I'll post it here. I've been loading up seed trays the past couple of days. Here in the southern Appalachians it's time to start tomatoes, peppers, and greens. So far I've started 6 varieties each of peppers and tomatoes, 2 varieties each of beets and lettuces, one variety of arugula, and one of kale.

Farside

#13 Post by Farside » Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:34 pm

Wow already?
Around my neck of the woods the soil is just thawed enough for planting cold hardy seeds around April 14 and frost danger doesn't pass until the middle of June.

dirtmurphy

#14 Post by dirtmurphy » Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:21 pm

Hey Farside! These are indoor starts but yeah, it's time around here. I expect another hard freeze in March/April but our ground has thawed enough to plant peas already. The summer garden will go in the ground in May. I fuss about living in North Carolina but the growing seasons are pretty good. :D
I was thinking of you the other day. I'm getting ready to build a chicken tractor. I garden for some people who have big yards and some of them are amenable to having my chickens graze and fertilize their property.

dirtmurphy

#15 Post by dirtmurphy » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:00 pm

Just a quick update from NC. We just had our wettest winter following our wettest year ever. The ground is absolutely saturated. I'm about to give up on planting spring greens in the ground and try to grow them all in containers, but that's a lot of containers! During our walks we've noticed yards going acidic (moss, bare spots, wild onions). I just aerated and limed a yard today before the rain that's supposed to come this evening..
Fruit trees didn't take any horrible hits, so hopefully we can have a good harvest year this year. Agriculture is pretty big business in this area and we have a lot of orchards in the western mountains. I pruned raspberries and wineberries yesterday.
Although I haven't been able to put anything in the ground, I have been harvesting vermicompost and transplanting tomatoes and peppers every day for over a week in the greenhouse. I'm grateful to have one. I just wish it were bigger :D

dirtmurphy

#16 Post by dirtmurphy » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:05 pm

So I went to the tailgate market yesterday (sold everything I brought, yay me!). Anyhow, the biggest conversation among the farmers is the persistent rainfall. Everyone is having a hard time planting. I talked to them about the GSM in a roundabout way. By the end some of them were brainstorming adaptation ideas. It's a good first step.

Farside

#17 Post by Farside » Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:49 pm

This weekend I planted onion sets, spinach, radishes, bok choi, and carrots. Some of the ground is still frozen but in general it went smoothly.

I applied sheep manure and bone meal on the beds that have onions, garlic, and carrots.

Indoors I started lettuce and kale.

Ice Age Prepper

#18 Post by Ice Age Prepper » Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:15 pm

We got quite a bit in the ground now but there is still a little more to plant. We put in 165 tatters, lots of different varieties of tomatoes and peppers. We have squash, and some greens planted as well. There will be some melons yet to plant as well as whatever experimental items my wife throws in. She loves to experiment and this being our first big garden on the farm,well, she has carte blanche to do what she wants. What profits we keep and improve upon and what doesn't gets the boot!

I am documenting our progress fairly regular on YT. Anyone wanting to check out what we are up to can look for the "Homestead Happenings," videos.

Now it is mostly about keeping away the birds and deer and rabbits and....
"Your Gonna Need More than a Wool Blanket for This One!" *Ice Age Prepper
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQwRNf ... tpFxt_SGQA

Farside

#19 Post by Farside » Fri May 17, 2019 12:35 pm

-2C this morning, but things are beginning to show signs of life. The black currants are in bud burst, with the haskaps close behind (they're late this year because they're new plants). The garlic is up, and the onions have started to pop up too. My rhubarb is also putting up new leaves.

Spinach and radish seedlings are appearing from the seed I sowed a month ago.

I harvested my first flush of oyster mushrooms of the year too, which makes it my first garden harvest for 2019. I'm super impressed with these things. Frozen solid in -40 weather and out in the open. The compost pile they lean against is still frozen in the middle and yet here they are popping out mushrooms. :P

Farside

#20 Post by Farside » Fri May 17, 2019 6:17 pm

1st part of a 4 part series on weeds and what they can tell us: