Things You Can Plant in Fall in a Cold Climate

Farside

Things You Can Plant in Fall in a Cold Climate

#1 Post by Farside » Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:19 pm

I live in Hardiness zone 3, And I've been compiling a list of things you can plant in the fall that survive -40 winter temperatures and come up in the spring.

These plants tend to establish better than spring planted seeds in part because there is no soil disturbance as life gets going again following the deep freeze. In my climate the growing season is 90 days, meaning that it's touch and go as far as timing is concerned. Delay a week and you may very well not have a crop ready for harvest before the killing frosts arrive in the fall.

Hard neck garlic is a great crop you can plant in the fall (about a month before the ground freezes). In a very cold climate, you need to put a thick layer of mulch over the top (8 to 12 inches of straw / hay / leaves) when you plant it, and remove it again when the mulch thaws in the spring.

Parsley normally dies in these winter conditions, but if you bury it under thick mulch at around the time the ground freezes it will thrive in the spring when you remove it again.

Cilantro (which has powerful heavy metal detox properties) seed can be planted in the fall and will sit there until the conditions are perfect for germination. I've found this actually results in a better crop than spring planting.

Borage (which the bees go crazy for) dies at the first hint of frost, but the seeds survive winter conditions just fine.

Farside

Re: Things You Can Plant in Fall in a Cold Climate

#2 Post by Farside » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:29 pm

Fantastic cold climate technique: