Calorie Dense Crops

Foo

Re: Calorie Dense Crops

#11 Post by Foo » Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:22 pm

On Youtube, I found a couple of videos on Rob Greenfield who is growing or foraging everything he eats for 1 year. He is in the Orlando area right now so the issues he has may be a bit different than a lot of other peoples. But he did say something very instructive about having some staple crops that can produce the bulk of your calories given the climate location and plants that do well in your area.

Oldplaner

#13 Post by Oldplaner » Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:10 pm

Hi, this is my first post although we've been watching the Ice Age Farmer reports on youtube for awhile.
We've been seriously growing our own food for the past 5 years with the main crops being potatoes,Red Silkbeans(mostly for drying) Floriani Corn,peas and carrots,onions and garlic.The last 3 years we've also grown a patch of sweet sorghum and process it into syrup-two gallons a year. Sorghum also gives seed heads for flour or poultry feed.

The corn,we dry and then grind up into corn meal for pancakes or corn bread and also turn wood ash from the wood cook stove into lye water to nixtamalize the corn for making tortillas. Field corn from a feed store works great too. Tonight we are having tacos with the homemade torillas and refried beans. It's good to show the kids and grandchildren where our food used to come from.

We don't consider ourselves preppers because really, we are the first generation in history that doesn't put up food for the winter. Certainly our parents and grandparents did this routinely and my parents didn't grow up with a freezer and Mum said they had a box buried in the ground in the back yard to keep butter and milk cool when she grew up in the 1930's and 40's

I hope to learn of ideas others have and what works as far as food security and hope we can help others as well.

The attachment IMG_1922op.JPG is no longer available
IMG_1922op.JPG
IMG_1922op.JPG (48.25 KiB) Viewed 13 times
Genesis 19; 14

Oldplaner

#14 Post by Oldplaner » Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:28 pm

IMG_1939opt.JPG
IMG_1939opt.JPG (25.66 KiB) Viewed 11 times
Genesis 19; 14

Oldplaner

#15 Post by Oldplaner » Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:33 pm

IMG_1935op.JPG
IMG_1935op.JPG (42.08 KiB) Viewed 11 times

The sorghum iscpassed through this little hand cranked press then the juice is boiled off. Basically 10 gals juice gives 1 gal syrup. It's planted around the 1st of may and harvested 3rd week in sept
Genesis 19; 14