Cloning

Farside

Re: Cloning

#11 Post by Farside » Thu May 23, 2019 12:00 pm

Yesterday I demonstrated air layering to a friend and we made 2 air layers on a mulberry tree. Mulberry doesn't typically grow here because of the killing winter cold but this one is in an artificial micro-climate and must be 40ft tall.

I also took some seabuckthorn cuttings and used my new rooting powder.

So this past week I have transplanted half a jostaberry bush, taken some unknown ribe cuttings, taken some seabuckthorn cuttings, made 2 mulberry air layers, and received 4 cherry sucker saplings that I will trade for a black elderberry sapling.

Farside

#12 Post by Farside » Thu May 30, 2019 1:19 pm

This morning I made 4 air layers on apples and plums. The trees are young, and the leaves haven't emerged yet so it's really tough to tell the apples from the plums.

I made the air layers as usual, but because they are in trees with limited canopies I wrapped the air layers in opaque plastic so that the forming roots don't get scorched.

There is a remnant apple orchard in a local park here with trees close to 100 years old. My next mission is to clone them before they all die of old age. I'm trying to get as many different cold hardy varieties as possible to use for juicing. At least that's my long term plan for apples.

Farside

#13 Post by Farside » Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:03 pm

Another 2 air layers made on some old apple trees in a local park. One I know is a red delicious, the other is a mystery.

The red delicious is interesting. It's been neglected for so long that it has these big branches that droop all the way to the ground. Contrary to popular opinion, these branches are not diseased from contact with the ground, and you can see browsing animals have been feeding on them over the winter, leaving the main trunk untouched.

This is significant because deer and porcupines are known to kill fruit trees around here by ringbarking the trunks.