ARE YOU PLANTING YOUR SPRING GARDEN?

Farside

Re: ARE YOU PLANTING YOUR SPRING GARDEN?

#11 Post by Farside » Tue May 21, 2019 6:07 pm

Today I scored half a Jostaberry bush. It's just beginning to bud out so I'm hoping it survives the "rough as guts" transplanting procedure.
https://garden.org/learn/articles/view/678/

As much as I love love love blackcurrant jam and cordial, jostaberries are what I would imagine blackcurrants to taste like raw. Blackcurrants however tend to be quite astringent / medicinal eaten raw which is why I have been working hard to find one for my garden.

Farside

#12 Post by Farside » Mon May 27, 2019 12:33 pm

Yesterday I planted peas and radish. I also trimmed the jostaberry bush I planted as it was looking a little stressed, and planted the trimmings in pots to see if they would take.

We're about 3 weeks away from the final frost date of spring around here, so I'm busy hardening off all my seedlings and getting them ready for their new home outside.

Today I bought some asparagus rhizomes and planted them between the black currants, since the seed I planted last spring is extremely slow to establish, and it was isolated to one corner of the garden. Now I have a ribes/asparagus companion system set up. All I need to do now is plant the strawberries and garlic chives along the border, and start preparing the soil at the back of this guild where the elderberries will go next year.

dirtmurphy

#13 Post by dirtmurphy » Tue May 28, 2019 5:24 am

Wow Farside, you really do have a short growing season. I harvested peas today. I guess your season runs about 3 1/2 mos behind mine. I hope it doesn't end 3 1/2 mos before mine! Actually, I have year-round production in some capacity or other, so seasons tend to bleed into one another.
I'm done selling mushrooms for the time being. I don't have an indoor setup yet so no climate-controlled fruiting. It's been running around 90F here with no rain and I haven't inoculated with anything that fruits in such heat. I'm still selling eggs and plant starts. I've also been doing some small workshops and consulting.
Speaking of eggs, Princess Layer has gone broody. She commandeered everyone's eggs today for a clutch. She's an old lady but an incredible chicken mama. I'm happy that she might get to raise another batch of chicks before she passes on as we are all wont to do. She's my rooster's favorite, and they always cuddle together at night away from the other ladies. I could hear him crying softly tonight. I checked on him and saw him lying alone in their usual spot. Anyone who doesn't think these birds feel emotions doesn't know anything about them.
The Double Red corn that I planted has come up well but the Glass Gem is struggling to germinate even with daily watering. I'm thinking about doing a second planting of it since I'm growing it specifically to dry for the chickens and the grain situation elsewhere looks pretty bleak. The amaranth is doing well but it will barely scratch the surface of their dietary needs over the winter. I planted sunflowers for them as well, but something took out all but two of them. I'll sprout as much of the seed as I can for them this winter but once again, it won't be much.
I have to say that overall I'm pleased with my production this year. I need to keep working on the chicken feed but that's still a project in it's infancy. I have plans to sow oats, buy wheat berries to grow wheat grass in the greenhouse over the winter, build a chicken tractor so they can graze on other properties, and set up a black soldier fly digester. One step at a time though, right?

Farside

#14 Post by Farside » Tue May 28, 2019 12:31 pm

I've been interested in growing heritage small grains, and realized that wheat is incredibly cheap. Around here it's currently $11 for a 50lb bag. In contrast, there is a new salad bar that opened up locally that sells a not so fancy salad for $15.

But anyway, $11 for 50lb of wheat? I seriously don't think it can be produced for that price. Somebody has to be subsidizing it. Corn and Barley are similar.

dirtmurphy

#15 Post by dirtmurphy » Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:17 pm

May weather was hot and dry but June is coming in cool and wet. We're supposed to get rain every day for a week and my gardens need it badly. I've spent the last few days putting in a new garden out back. Right now it has comfrey, stinging nettles, amaranth, and tomatoes. I'll squeeze in more later but I think that's a good start. I've been transplanting peppers to large containers. I need to do more but have to buy more potting soil first. I've also been pruning, fertilizing, and selling plants and eggs.
On Sunday we ate our eggs, tomatoes, peppers, kale, peas, basil, lemon balm, and raspberries. It was delicious if I do say so myself.
Unfortunately, the last of the spring lettuce is done. I'm hoping to harvest vermicompost and start some Jericho lettuce indoors while it's raining this week. I'm also going to try to get some more beans in the ground.
Princess Layer is still on the nest. The little ones should hatch on the 17th. I can't tell you how excited we are about it. I set up a chicken maternity ward in our bedroom. Every morning when we wake up we can hear her turning the eggs. I'm lucky to be with someone who lets me keep worms and chickens in the house :D
So I guess that's about it for what's happening on my little farm. It seems like Farside and I are about the only ones posting on here. I know Andy F and Kink are doing some growing. What about the rest of y'all? I want to hear from more of you!

Farside

#16 Post by Farside » Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:00 pm

The kale and swiss chard seedlings were transplanted out yesterday in circle beds:
http://thunderbaypermaculture.blogspot. ... tions.html

I also dug up some of the oyster mushroom beds I put in last year to see what was going on. The mycelium hasn't colonized the used coffee grounds as I expected, but the worms are having a serious party on them. It looks like dumping used coffee grounds directly onto the soil and then covering it with mulch is an effective way to compost in place. I planted some kale into this stuff and I'm keen to see how they grow compared to the ones that are planted in the circle garden.

My haskaps are in full bloom. It's their first year in pots after I harvested them as air layers last fall. Not expecting too much from them this year.

The black currants that I planted last year however are about 2 to 3 times the size as they were a year ago and they are absolutely loaded with young fruit.

A side bar FWIW. If you ever get the chance to try this jam then do so. I swear it is the best jam in the world:
https://www.anathoth.co.nz/products/jam ... rrant-jam/

The only reason I have gone to such lengths to grow black currants it to reproduce this jam. Nothing I have tasted in North America comes even remotely close to this.

Farside

#17 Post by Farside » Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:07 pm

Dammit, I don't usually grow potatoes because:
1. We don't eat a lot of them
2. They are so cheap it's simply not worth it.

But I think I'm going to because I have an uneasy feeling. Worst case I give them away.

Farside

#18 Post by Farside » Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:11 pm

Yesterday I bought small russet potatoes (thanks Christian! :lol:) and cut them in half, leaving them on my desk at work overnight so a skin can form on the new cut (you end up with twice the number of plants that way).

Today I will be planting them in the bottom of some garbage bags that have 12 inches of compost in the bottom. As the plants grow, I will slowly fill the bags with compost.
I'll also poke a few holes in the bottom of the bags for drainage.

I was given some seed potatoes about 3 weeks ago and I used a different technique for those. I went over to the pile of dead garden waste (I throw my weeds and other organic garden waste into a pile), and literally stuffed them in there Sepp Holzer style.

My point is that growing potatoes can be as complicated or as simple as you wish to make it. I prefer simple personally.

dirtmurphy

#19 Post by dirtmurphy » Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:16 pm

Today I took advantage of a break in the rain to harvest raspberries and plant the rest of my Bertie's Best greasy bean seeds in the new garden out back. I made raspberry pancakes, then froze the rest of the harvest.
Yesterday was more of an interesting networking day than anything else. I garden for a horticulturist who asked me to teach a carpentry for women workshop in the near future. I'm leaning toward doing it but I need to come up with a suitable project to get everyone engaged and teach as many basic skills as possible while not getting too advanced (ex. laying out rafters). Any ideas? I also taught someone how to prune peppers and then talked to one of my farm buddies about feed budgets. While we were discussing that, her family offered me a place on their farm to set up bee hives whenever I'm ready but that won't be until next year at the earliest. Hives and electric fencing are expensive. Anyhow, we'll be discussing it further on Monday.
I bring this up because networking with others and spreading skills is really crucial now. Farside and Andy F have talked about it (Farside trades food and Andy F has that super cool phone book). I want to encourage others to do the same every time there's a chance. Modern humans lack many skills. The more we can learn and teach, the better off we'll all be.

dirtmurphy

#20 Post by dirtmurphy » Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:14 pm

Yesterday I broadcast a beneficial insect mix in two raised beds and in the new garden out back. It consists of buckwheat, berseem, dutch and white clovers, plowdown og alfalfa, white yarrow, blanket flower, plains coreopsis, dill, basil, coriander, and alyssum.