Parents in the GSM

iceagefarmer
Site Admin

Parents in the GSM

#1 Post by iceagefarmer » Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:36 am

I am creating this topic because as a parent, I need all the help I can get...let alone with the GSM to consider!

Andy F

Re: Parents in the GSM

#2 Post by Andy F » Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:58 am

iceagefarmer wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:36 am
I am creating this topic because as a parent, I need all the help I can get...let alone with the GSM to consider!
What is their age range, boy or girl?
Being a parent is one of the hardest in life, and most joyful. I sure miss those years.
In all kindness, I'm not one of those who is forced into that 77 different genders issue.

Elew

#3 Post by Elew » Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:30 am

My kids are all grown too...three girls, 21, 27, and 33 (I think, haha) and I don't miss those days at All!!

My first advice with kids in emergency situations, is be prepared with a way to heat water and food...and just as importantly, make sure you have one hot water bottle for each family member, along with extra blankets. With just those things, canned soup, crackers, tea and candles...we have made it through weeks of nor'easter power outages with no heat in the winter...

Andy F

#4 Post by Andy F » Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:52 am

@Elew I do not know why I have 3 duplicate posts. Feel free to delete this post, and the other dupes. :|

iceagefarmer
Site Admin

#5 Post by iceagefarmer » Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:42 pm

I have a 5 year old son, and -- this is breaking here! still a secret -- another one on the way in February. I am DOUBLING DOWN on the future!
Andy F wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:52 am
@Elew I do not know why I have 3 duplicate posts. Feel free to delete this post, and the other dupes. :|
(got em)

Andy F

#6 Post by Andy F » Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:14 pm

Best advise? #1 is Keep them busy learning new things, stay a bit above age appropriate to keep them interested and engaged. Adjust up/down as you go. Take advantage of an opportunity to teach new things. Challenge them always. They will thrive. Use bets as a healthy challenge. My son whistles beautifully now, he won my bet.
Talk a lot, but listen more. Fully answer their questions. Ask open ended questions to keep communication open with your children, and adults.

Create and use a certain stern voice and simple rational commands, teach them what that voice sounds like, when they hear it is when they must always obey immediately. Never use that voice needlessly. Reserve it for danger. Tell them when you are testing that voice, to see how quickly they react and correct reaction. Test regularly, make it a game. You learn and get better, like they do without creating panic. (twice, it has saved my son's & my life)

Always be honest about people and history of the world, which is a stage with good and bad actors. Teach them street sense and safety, how to look around at where they are and to notice their surroundings and who is there. Talk to them about people they see, people watching is good, teaches how to size them up as opposed to making a judgment. The greatest most kindest humans were often seen as ugly, fine clothes never made a good man. Let them be fearless but not ignorant about the world. A healthy dose of suspicion versus blind trust, is a balancing act.

Edit: Teach them about Red Flags with friends and relationships, that little lies usually means BIG LIES later. Kenny Rogers, know when to hold & when to fold, then walk away. Teach them to analyze their mistakes and revisit those pitfalls that got them into trouble. What could he have done different?
On lies, if you find your child has lied to you, teach them not to lie by lying to them on everything "small" and unimportant. It teaches them they can't trust you if you lie like they did to you. My son hated when I did that, he learned what lack of trust was & he didn't like how it felt to be lied to. But he eventually, around age 6, had learned not to lie. My end comments to him after each time I caught him in a lie was, "I have never punished you unfairly or spanked you when you told me the truth."

I guess I'm a little more suspicious for the coming Ice Age yada yada.
I'm between small chores.

It is a day of physical rest for me, for mind work & writing. A busy physical weekend is ahead.

Phamynn

#7 Post by Phamynn » Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:11 am

iceagefarmer wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:42 pm
I have a 5 year old son, and -- this is breaking here! still a secret -- another one on the way in February. I am DOUBLING DOWN on the future!
Andy F wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:52 am
(got em)
Congratulations on the latest addition to your family! I hope everything goes smoothly, and the baby arrives healthy, and mom has an easy time in delivery.

My daughters are 21 and 17, so I am almost done with the raising part. My advice would be that you encourage them in any activity that will help them learn their boundaries, what they are comfortable doing, and not. For instance, my eldest would make a poor hunter because she loves everything fluffy, fuzzy, or cute, but my younger daughter is a huntress through and through. She stalks, hunts, fishes...all of it. If you can help them find their skill sets early, and their comfort zones based on their own minds, it will help you plan. My plan i basically that my eldest helps with the feeding of livestock, gathering of supplies, and tending the garden. My younger will go with dad and help hunt, fish, etc. Their abilities overlap, but are also far outside what the other is willing to do. I think having the knowledge of my girls' abilities will make us a stronger unit in the long run, and hopefully make for a moderately painless transition to GSM standards when things get rough.

Best of luck!

Andy F

#8 Post by Andy F » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:46 pm

iceagefarmer wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:36 am

BE AWARE: Attempted Bills on Homeschooling https://www.coreysdigs.com/u-s/be-aware ... schooling/
November 11, 2019

Corey's Digs is a good one, very thorough in research using legit sources. A couple years ago I'd shared it with The Kid for his 2 Kids who he Homeschools.
All the links are there, parents who are or are planning on Homeschooling can click through Corey's links for more info.