Parents in the GSM

iceagefarmer
Site Admin

Parents in the GSM

#1 Post by iceagefarmer » Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:36 am

I am creating this topic because as a parent, I need all the help I can get...let alone with the GSM to consider!

Elew

Re: Parents in the GSM

#2 Post by Elew » Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:30 am

My kids are all grown too...three girls, 21, 27, and 33 (I think, haha) and I don't miss those days at All!!

My first advice with kids in emergency situations, is be prepared with a way to heat water and food...and just as importantly, make sure you have one hot water bottle for each family member, along with extra blankets. With just those things, canned soup, crackers, tea and candles...we have made it through weeks of nor'easter power outages with no heat in the winter...

iceagefarmer
Site Admin

#3 Post by iceagefarmer » Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:42 pm

I have a 5 year old son, and -- this is breaking here! still a secret -- another one on the way in February. I am DOUBLING DOWN on the future!
Andy F wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:52 am
@Elew I do not know why I have 3 duplicate posts. Feel free to delete this post, and the other dupes. :|
(got em)

Phamynn

#4 Post by Phamynn » Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:11 am

iceagefarmer wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:42 pm
I have a 5 year old son, and -- this is breaking here! still a secret -- another one on the way in February. I am DOUBLING DOWN on the future!
Andy F wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:52 am
@Elew I do not know why I have 3 duplicate posts. Feel free to delete this post, and the other dupes. :|
(got em)
Congratulations on the latest addition to your family! I hope everything goes smoothly, and the baby arrives healthy, and mom has an easy time in delivery.

My daughters are 21 and 17, so I am almost done with the raising part. My advice would be that you encourage them in any activity that will help them learn their boundaries, what they are comfortable doing, and not. For instance, my eldest would make a poor hunter because she loves everything fluffy, fuzzy, or cute, but my younger daughter is a huntress through and through. She stalks, hunts, fishes...all of it. If you can help them find their skill sets early, and their comfort zones based on their own minds, it will help you plan. My plan i basically that my eldest helps with the feeding of livestock, gathering of supplies, and tending the garden. My younger will go with dad and help hunt, fish, etc. Their abilities overlap, but are also far outside what the other is willing to do. I think having the knowledge of my girls' abilities will make us a stronger unit in the long run, and hopefully make for a moderately painless transition to GSM standards when things get rough.

Best of luck!