Batteries

walterceal@yahoo.com

Re: Batteries

#1 Post by walterceal@yahoo.com » Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:55 pm

The most reliable batteries are likely to be lithium polymer type... I looked up a listing just now to give an idea of what these are like and the prices... They are quite expensive but as long as they are kept charged up, there is no reason they can't last 30 to 40 years....

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Lithium-12V-100 ... :rk:1:pf:0

Remember: A 100 amp / hr battery can only produce 100 amps for 1 hour... 50 amps for 2 hours, 5 amps for 20 hours... you still need to produce power on a regular basis or a battery of any type will deplete quickly. Lead acid batteries that are discharged completely become damaged. This is also true of other battery types but to a lesser degree.

walterceal@yahoo.com

#2 Post by walterceal@yahoo.com » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:14 pm

Thanks for posting the chart, that will come in handy later... I have looked at the pure gel batteries in the past as a alternative to lead / acid for my car but didn't look into them for off-grid situations before. I like the temperature stability of the pure gel batteries and as you have pointed out, you get 400 A/h for $760.00 and the best Li-Polymer set I've seen so far would be 300 A/h for around $1,200. I believe I will be keeping an eye out for deals on the pure gel type now.

If I really get stuck, I can always use the graphite rods I bought, aluminium and salt water to make a battery.... The graphite can be used forever but the salt and aluminium gets used up. Obtaining a cost effective battery array would of course be preferable to that.... LOL

I did oversimplify the problem in my post and I thank you for pointing out the missing information Andy. I need to try harder to think of other people's set-ups and situations and their needs rather than my own plan. I could never get away with 200 Ah worth of energy per day as I run an indoor gardening cabinet 24 hours a day and I would run out of electricity in about 14 hours from full charge. After I expand my garden, I will be using 3 times that amount of energy. I am one of those that needs to produce power all the time but a battery array as a buffer would be really awesome.... :D

Farside

#3 Post by Farside » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:36 pm

Cheap source of these units refurbished here: https://www.evwest.com/catalog/product_ ... cts_id=486&

Farside

#4 Post by Farside » Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:52 pm

Interesting DIY battery technology:

This application would be in situations where high instantaneous power delivery is not required. They also need to be kept relatively level, and probably don't work in freezing conditions.

So electric vehicles are out, but as a power bank in an off-grid dwelling is certainly in its wheelhouse.

gadget

#5 Post by gadget » Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:14 pm

Farside wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:52 pm
Interesting DIY battery technology:

This application would be in situations where high instantaneous power delivery is not required. They also need to be kept relatively level, and probably don't work in freezing conditions.

So electric vehicles are out, but as a power bank in an off-grid dwelling is certainly in its wheelhouse.
Flow batteries sound very interesting. I have yet to find a good solid source of info online on building anything. Reading through patents is probably the best source of info.

Dirk Schroeder

#6 Post by Dirk Schroeder » Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:46 am

If you are concerned about bacterial skin infections, I recommend Fucidin crema. You can find out more and make a purchase at <a href="https://fucidincrema-precio.com/" rel="nofollow">fucidincrema-Precio.Com </a>. There is delivery and no prescription needed