Home Heating in the GSM

CreoleGenius

Home Heating in the GSM

#1 Post by CreoleGenius » Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:11 am

CreoleGenius hereby opens this topic for consideration. I have planned for such a challenge for many years, and will enter my knowledge here in the form of photos and philosophy.

Copperhead

Re: Home Heating in the GSM

#2 Post by Copperhead » Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:43 am

My plan is a woodstove. I have acres of trees.

CreoleGenius

#3 Post by CreoleGenius » Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:55 am

Copperhead;

I can advise on this issue, having engineered and installed an airtight, catalytic Vermont Federal brand woodstove system. It can burn even pine wood without creating lots of creosote in the stack, and a full load will burn all night without restoking.

Elew

#4 Post by Elew » Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:03 am

Creole,

That is what we are planning too...going with the Cubic Grizzly because it is small enough for the RV, but also has a double combustion so fairly smokeless and clean. A couple 6" chunks of wood will burn for hours.

SmartLikeTruck

#5 Post by SmartLikeTruck » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:48 am

I'll be heating our buildings using batchbox rocket stoves.

I'm starting this winter by heating my 8' by 16' workshop with a 4" batch box low mass heater.
I'll probably move on to my poly-tunnel greenhouse in the late winter or very early spring to get some season extension.
After I cut my teeth on those projects I'll think more on the domestic hot water and zone heating for the main house.

If you'd like to look into batchbox rocket stoves/heaters check out http://batchrocket.eu/en/ for a great place to start (translated into 8 languages currently)

dirtmurphy

#6 Post by dirtmurphy » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:05 pm

We just got an estimate for a wood stove installation today that came in twice as high as I had expected. The company won't install the stove that we have due to liability concerns. They wouldn't even inspect it first, just "nope, gotta buy a new one from us or we won't do it." I asked if they could recommend another company who would. All I got was another "nope." So now we're having to look for someone else to do the work for us. Dang.

Elew

#7 Post by Elew » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:11 am

dirtmurphy wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:05 pm
So now we're having to look for someone else to do the work for us. Dang.
Is it not something you can learn how to do? It shouldn't be too hard it seems, but I don't know what your roof is like.

CreoleGenius

#8 Post by CreoleGenius » Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:50 pm

Dirt;

Send schematics of your home for review. I built my own system into my new house. Need your wood stove model as well. Photos of interior would help.

Rob

dirtmurphy

#9 Post by dirtmurphy » Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:20 am

Thanks to Elew and Rob (would you rather be called Rob?)! Anyhow, the stove is an antique. I don't know what kind it is, but it's been kept in very good condition. I'm completely confident with it.
Today I talked to my neighbor who's a contractor. He said I should just look for a really good roofer. I asked him who he would recommend, and he said he needs to think about it. That's cool with me.
As far as doing it myself, I already do most of our carpentry and am in the middle of some extensive repairs that may or may not get finished before winter. Sometimes it makes more sense to hire someone and this is one of those times. I just have to find the right contractor for the job. I will be doing the masonry for it, but that's a project I can do at night or on rainy days.
What do you do Rob? Are you an architect or engineer or a contractor? I already have the design but it's impressive that you can know how to do it for yourself.

CreoleGenius

#10 Post by CreoleGenius » Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:23 pm

OK, sir. I was fortunate to be building and planning from scratch. I designed the house, and my friend, an old architect, engineered it just to our satisfaction. My kit for the install was a triple-wall stainless/galvanized flue, with bibs to pass through floors and a pitched flange through the roof. Triple-wall was necessary because the burner is a modern, air tight, catalytic unit from Vermont Castings, which gets really hot enough to completely burn wood without causing creosote. My stack ended up about 27' tall, so there is a lot of draw. One load can be coaxed to last all night. The same kit can be formatted to pass through an outside wall and hang outside all the way up to chimney cap. In that case, it comes with an insulated bib through the wall.

I am a field geologist by trade, but mostly retired. I still manage, survey and fish oyster leases in SE Louisiana. If I could see your house format and burner style, I would be able to figure a plan.