What did you do to prepare today?

What did you do to prepare today?
Andy F

Re: What did you do to prepare today?

#151 Post by Andy F » Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:03 am

@Elew I'm thinking we won't see it played out.

Tonight, I'm listening to Laura Ingalls Wilder's "The Long Winter". 1951 Radio Drama https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJZsuVCX-e4

My favorite is War of the Worlds, by Orson Welles https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xs0K4ApWl4g
:lol: It caused a major outrage, the way he did it, people were fooled into thinking there really was an Alien invasion. People were freaking out. Orson Welles became famous for this play. I think it was brilliant!

I grew up listening to Radio Plays like this. I like them better, I never bought a TV until 1980.
I'm filling my gas tank and preparing to head North. Maybe, soon 8-)
I have a Library. Winter bookworm on history. Anarchist. https://www.archive.org :mrgreen:

iceagefarmer
Site Admin

#152 Post by iceagefarmer » Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:35 pm

Elew wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:35 pm
So, I am going to make them a book, on what Mom would do...something I can print out for them and put in a binder. I will make it in something like a PDF to share so other's here can print it, or add on too...whenever it gets finished
When can I get my copy? :)

Elew

#153 Post by Elew » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:41 pm

iceagefarmer wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:35 pm
Elew wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:35 pm
So, I am going to make them a book, on what Mom would do...something I can print out for them and put in a binder. I will make it in something like a PDF to share so other's here can print it, or add on too...whenever it gets finished
When can I get my copy? :)
As soon as I get some done :) I am counting on questions in the parent thread too! But I will bounce it all off you and my girls...

iceagefarmer
Site Admin

#154 Post by iceagefarmer » Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:06 pm

Last few days I've been working on clearing out an area. Moved/cut about half a cord of oak -- would like to have a decent supply going into winter so i'm not chopping in the cold with a newborn! With the wood moved, there are still some bricks and leftover building material that someone left down there. I'll be clearing that out today, then renting a tractor and leveling an area out there, and hope to build the greenhouse over the course of the next week. That's pretty ambitious but we'll see . . . it's still hot out there, but not for long ...

Hope all are well.

Christian

Andy F

#155 Post by Andy F » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:02 pm

Today? I am resting, music and reading, PC work.
I had incredibly busy Saturday. Sunday afternoon, went and bought ~$220 in canned and dry goods.
Filled my gas tanks full up @ 45 gallons, OUCH!
Gas in AZ is running $2.89 for Regular. It will rise to $3.19 later in November. Not sure, things look iffy.

I also wiped my hard drive clean [somehow] and now recovering data, passwords, reinstalling key programs GRRRRR!!! :twisted:
I have a Library. Winter bookworm on history. Anarchist. https://www.archive.org :mrgreen:

Elew

#156 Post by Elew » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:41 pm

You guys are working hard...

We got in more seeds, and I am teaching Nyai how to make hummus, as well as making a pile of terry/flannel baby wash cloths and small face cleaner pads. I got the fabric super cheap last summer because flannel is generally on sale in the summer...but it is time, everyone needs a new bunch.

Cotton is most likely going up...so extra fabric, thread, needles etc...this is the time to get them if you have not yet. And you guys, canvas, denim, cotton, flannel, and cotton jersey. You don't have to know how to sew to get the fabric you might need for clothing. It will be a hot item for trade, And there are always people like me around who can make whatever is needed if the materials are there. Get a bolt or two when it is on sale if you can...

Andy F

#157 Post by Andy F » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:52 pm

Today?
Not much. Playing around with a new Shortwave radio. Reading a foraging book, looking at the pictures, and learning.

I find this to be interesting data: "Most users ever online was 63 on Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:16 pm"
I guess we're a popular group to visit in the evening.

Andy F

#158 Post by Andy F » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:57 pm

Today?
No real prepping. Did organizing. Cleaned out refrigerator entirely inside & out. Did a total clean on it while grooving to Keith Medley's 27 string guitar on iPod. I'd bought Medley's CDs years ago, visited him & wife back East. He's a luthier, builds all his own instruments.
Got me thinking about all the good times I'd spent with my family & pets that have now passed on.
Keith Medley "Ancestors" - 27 string guitar

I bet no one has heard his music but I bet you'll be amazed when you do listen :lol: .

Andy F

#159 Post by Andy F » Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:03 pm

Today?

Bought 25 lbs of bananas, now drying banana slices in La'Salle dehydrator.
Will buy & do Apple slices after bananas.
Then chopped stinky Onions last :idea: always do Onions last.

dirtmurphy

#160 Post by dirtmurphy » Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:14 am

Today I re-seeded the back yard with a fescue/rye mix to improve forage for the chickens. I'm still busy laying brick for the hearth and getting quotes for the chimney installation. I also gave a neighbor Black-seeded Simpson lettuces so he can try to overwinter them. He is trying out hydroponics and learning to use a greenhouse so I'm wanting to encourage him however I can. I gave another neighbor King Stropharia spawn to inoculate a wood chip bed. There's only so much any of us can do, but helping others is at the top of my list. Other than that, I've mainly been working in my own greenhouse. Days are warm and nights are below freezing, so maintaining temps within a 20F swing can be pretty hard. I'm not starting any more projects for now because my dad's cancer is back and I may have to go to WV soon to take care of his dogs while he's in the hospital. I unexpectedly lost my mom a little over a year ago. Going home without her being there is really tough. I used to think that I loved WV, but now I know that I loved it because she was there.