What did you do to prepare today?

What did you do to prepare today?
Kink

Re: What did you do to prepare today?

#211 Post by Kink » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:09 pm

@dirtmurphy yikes gutters. interesting thing about this for me is I'm in my young 20s, with my grandfather's house who past away last year. new boards/gutters is pretty much my biggest thing to get next for sure. lots and lots of work that needs done but also blessed for the fact that I've been given the tools needed to attempt survival. Have a chainsaw but just ordered new chains as it's probably older than me :D. You mentioned oiled shovels, what can I use to shine up mine ... oh and for the boots :o ??
I love winter as well, was walking my dog the other week and was in awe at how big the snowflakes were as well as how heavy, nothing I can say I ever remember seeing

dirtmurphy

#212 Post by dirtmurphy » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:44 pm

I just use corn oil for the shovel and mink oil for my boots. We had to get faschia boards and new gutters for our house too. This place has a lot of water damage. It wasn't built right-no faschia boards, no flashing around the windows, no insulation in the walls, the gutters were too small and didn't have enough downspouts. I'm thankful to have been around construction so much in my younger days. My framing days are paying off big time now!
Keep picking up those skills Kink! Where are you located?

Andy F

#213 Post by Andy F » Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:01 pm

Today?
Got a nice early start. Went on the hunt for dehydrating food paperback books. Found 2 used, one is Jerky Bible, other is Dehydrated Meals in a Bag. I want to try Jerky! I needed ideas & recipes, I'd never done either :idea:
My dehydrator is L'equip, I get them confused. The Kid's is Excalibur (gave it to him, was too big for z kitchen.

If you have books you want to sell without all the hassle of listing & waiting for a buyer, try this https://www.sellbackyourbook.com/
You can enter the BarCode number and get a price they'll pay, they pay the shipping costs to send to them.
They also have phone Mobile Apps Apple & Android, I've not used. It has a BarCode Scan function.https://www.sellbackyourbook.com/sellba ... ndroid.php

Kink

#214 Post by Kink » Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:20 pm

@dirtmurphy thanks I need to grab both of those purely out of interest in seeing the difference. good to hear I'm not alone, pretty much in the exact same situation as you, honestly want to put in a french drain around the house on top of new gutters as it's starting to pool around the foundation which is just no bueno. Good to know we have some guys with hands on experience here, I'm still learning on the go with everything but very motivated thanks to all of you! I'm in PA myself, guessing you're down south where the storm is?
@Andy F Thank you for that link, just bookmarked and definitely going to sort through the collection and see if there's anything I can trade for some survival books, could use some medical literature too.

Today's plan is throwing a new chain on the chainsaw and getting back to work on building the stockpile. Also going to clean out the shed/loft and get some totes to organize stuff, gonna put my hunting gear all in one place along with extra warm clothes that I'm beginning to save up, even keeping 2 sizes too big just for the extra layers not knowing how bad this will eventually get. Oh and gonna clean up the fishing poles/sharpen knives & axes, all past due on getting some love.

Andy F

#215 Post by Andy F » Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:29 pm

@Kink Over in the PDF Zone, I posted a few helpful medical, suturing info & 3 vids, and also a 213 page survival medical guide. In the upper left corners are the post #.
Here's the link to that PDF starting at #73 - viewtopic.php?f=11&t=373&start=70
Post #73, #88, #100 and #106.
#106 is the free PDF Survival Medical guide, and suturing aka sewing up wounds & right type stuff to get, it's fairly low cost.

Okay you two! All that talk about oiling tools, so I went and put a thin coat of oil on my 5.5lb axe & on Gerber hand axe.
I'm mulling around on the idea of moving elsewhere :) out of the Southwestern states.
Not looking good here with GSM ahead.

Andy F

#216 Post by Andy F » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:34 pm

InterBering, LLC
BERING STRAIT TUNNEL & RAILROAD
CONSTRUCTION INVESTMENT CORPORATION

"InterBering" Main page - http://www.interbering.com/index.html
I got hung up, reading about the monstrous tunnels up in Bering Strait here - http://www.interbering.com/index.html
Via WhiteHouse - USA Legislative Plan & Funding for Rebuilding Infrastructure (pg 19 etc) - PDF only https://www.whitehouse.gov/wp-content/u ... RE-211.pdf

What is the real point of all those tunnels? :D

Kink

#217 Post by Kink » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:57 pm

@Andy F I hear you Andy, right now I'm trusting my faith and gut that is telling me to stay put for now, but like you said it's already getting bad. I've experienced this year more rain than I've quite honestly ever seen, I saw we got something like 75-80% more than usual in a 3 month period. On top of that, my apple trees did not see any pollination at all and the aspen trees quite literally got roasted at the top, completely burned from what I can only imagine is the weakened atmosphere. Insult to injury I'm seeing some kind of larvae that was in the thousands this year in my soil... anywhere I would pull weeds you would see dozens and dozens of little white worms crawling around (snails or slugs?). Ash trees are going completely extinct here too, from the emerald ash borer. How can you have vegetation with the amounts of rain rotting your crop's root system and slugs eating every mfing leaf?

money is tight for me, moving doesn't seem like an option but depending on next year it might be the only logical choice we'll have to see. If Zharkova's prediction is right, it is very worrying. :|

thank you for the reading material it is greatly appreciated!! and for reminding me to find my gun oil need to lubricate the hacksaws/axes that's a great idea

Andy F

#218 Post by Andy F » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:37 am

@Kink I agree, we all have a lot on our plates. After living through several large Riots in CA, I know the signs of unrest. I see it, others may not. Well, we just keep on & cross that bridge when we get there. I'm like you, got the idea to move but I'm staying put for a while. Thinking on planning a move late 2019 or early 2020. I just don't know where I want to end up. I think money is tight all the way around in US. Everyone I know said the same.
Keep the faith, and keep prepping.

Insect Identification - Common bugs and insects in Pennsylvania - https://www.insectidentification.org/in ... nnsylvania

OR, do you have "Asian Jumping Worms" :) https://www.post-gazette.com/life/garde ... 1807270009

I think you have "Bean Seed Maggots"
https://ento.psu.edu/extension/factshee ... eed-maggot

Let us know if you figure out what those worms are.
I'm trying very hard not to laugh, at Jumping Worms
:mrgreen:

DOW, S&P, NASDAQ 2018-12-09 18-05-40.png
In other news on Markets, Amazon & Facebook way down, Energy & some tech markets up, ISRL aka ISRAMCO market is up , is oil & natural gas exploration in US & IS. Under name ISRAMCO in USA, via SeekingAlpha.

Lot of changes, buying & puts. Makes me wonder, what do they know?
I think they know Energy & fuel explore is a big upcoming market with GSM.

Elew

#219 Post by Elew » Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:37 pm

Andy F wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:34 pm

What is the real point of all those tunnels? :D
They want to retro prove the tribes here came from asia? :lol:

Maybe I was dreaming of Kink's worms :shock:
Last edited by Elew on Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Elew

#220 Post by Elew » Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:54 pm

Speaking of oiling tools, I need to oil all of mine too. I just ordered some honing oil last week as well...getting a basket full of sharpening stuff together. I have nice Arkansas stones I've been using for about 20 years, but need a backup set, and some compounds..a couple belts, etc.

Money here might get super tight...but Nyai just got offered a good second job so that will help. My income just dropped to 15,000 a year, haha. Hopefully I can build up the Etsy shops to at least double that, or triple it. My hands will be busy for sure. Until I do though, my prepping will be sparse and I will be focusing more on learning skills. I knew this was coming so really tried to get all the tools and supplies I would need over the last year. I got pretty much everything, just a few more things here and there we will need...most important will be the wood stove. I am good at thrifty though, so we will get it.