What did you do to prepare today?

What did you do to prepare today?
Elew

Re: What did you do to prepare today?

#221 Post by Elew » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:30 pm

Not sure where to put this, but it's a good one...

Should we make a forum for shelters?

Andy F

#222 Post by Andy F » Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:29 am

Elew wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:30 pm
Not sure where to put this, but it's a good one...
Should we make a forum for shelters? Nooooooooooo! I got scared & shivered when I saw this vid title. :lol:
You peeps are doing good, prepping, planning & then some more preps.
Today I ordered a new stainless steel sink, a sink drain kit, and the S trap etc. I'm up to my ears in PVC fittings now, for the outlet end into drain plumbing which is different size. I didn't know it's called a "Reduced Slip Fitting blah blah"

On Amazon last month I purchased a calendar & ToDo combined, it is named "Get Sh*t Done" so I had written a nice review about nice book & I'm getting my sh*t done, but I spelled out sh*t in review. I mean, the title of the book and the name of the Amazon listing itself is "Get Sh*t Done!" but it's all spelled out.

I dialed up Khalid, my Amazon rep for a chat, & he explained it was NOT an appropriate review because I used offensive words in my review. I did use it twice.
What about "Get 'er Done"? He said that was okay. Then I rewrote review & he published it.
:lol: My sides now ache from :lol: It was funny!
Get 'er Done!.jpg

dirtmurphy

#223 Post by dirtmurphy » Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:27 am

@Elew, one of these days, I'll get around to building an igloo. We've certainly had the snow for it the past couple of days! I measured 10" in the back yard. The past couple of days have been spent shoveling snow here and at the homes of some of the more medically fragile people in the neighborhood. Actually, I did their houses yesterday after knocking the snow off the greenhouse roof (priorities). I only started doing the real heavy lifting at our house today. I also finally laid the face bricks on the hearth today. I should have done it sooner but there are only so many hours in a day. The contractor is supposed to be here on Wednesday to install the chimney. I know you've been chomping at the bit to get your own stove. I hope you do. I can't imagine a Colorado winter with nothing but space heaters and hot water bottles! It took me a long time to get everything together. I had wanted to do this by summer, and it still isn't finished. After the chimney is done and the stove hooked up, I still need to get more firewood, build a wood crib, and buy a chainsaw. This project has a lot of pieces!

Andy F

#224 Post by Andy F » Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:48 pm

Good Day IAF!
@dirtmurphy You'll get it done soon. I see your motivation & purpose. You're right, many smaller goals make up one huge goal or project. Thoughts usually become reality. Think it, write it, speak it, it's as good as done.
I'm upnatem. Getting 'er done! Working on doing & crossing off the short goals & chores from list. Installed & wired a 3 way switch. Read a manual.
Finishing up Apples, got a new batch of Bananas to dehydrate. First I'll make Vinegar Powder.
I did some experimenting with Seal A Meal, using ZipLoc Freezer bags for making odd sized bags. Works good for smaller things. Cotton thread, I sealed a few spools so it doesn't dry rot, hopefully. My magic marker went kaput!

Have to use the branded vacuum bags to seal up the 80 inkpens for long term storage so the ink doesn't dry out, mainly saving pens & paper for bartering.

Kink

#225 Post by Kink » Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:07 pm

Andy F wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:37 am

I think you have "Bean Seed Maggots"
https://ento.psu.edu/extension/factshee ... eed-maggot

I think you are right! These are very close to what I saw, nightmares man.. thanks for the encouraging posts guys it's really needed in a time like this. What dehydrator do you use Andy? I really need to add one to my list. I have a decent vacuum sealer and that's an amazing idea to seal some thread/notepads/paper + pens. Thanks for the video as well I've actually been thinking about igloos lately lol, even just for food storage I think it would be great for, but when the time comes we're gonna want smaller living space to have to heat anyways so I can see igloos/tipis making a come back. Chainsaw kicks ass now, I got some (maple?) cut up and have a pile up to my knees now in a single day of work compared to the few logs I had before. Splitting has also been way easier than I would have expected and am only using the 5lb axe. Almost can't believe I was manually felling anything now...

I've been cleaning a lot, everything is a mess in the shed and loft area, but am also finding a lot of family heirlooms I haven't seen since I was a kid. Found a bunch of old hockey gear that was my uncles, definitely see the elbow pads and stuff coming in handy under some clothes while bush wacking or even hunting as this progresses. I'm going to build a simple firewood storage setup like in this video, using only what mother nature can provide + what I can find in scrap. Got some rain the other day while I wasn't home that got my stockpile some, can't have that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bK3ULjEKPt8
Last edited by Kink on Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kink

#226 Post by Kink » Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:14 pm

First wood crib is finished using the top video as a reference, recycled some cinder blocks and wood stakes I found in a dump pile, also found a tarp in the shed for rain protection which I'm going to cut for a second crib here soon. Can't wait to start seeing the stock build up more and more (still have a few logs that need split in the pictures just noticed) :)

Andy F

#227 Post by Andy F » Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:37 pm

@Kink LOL, well you described the maggots really good, so was not hard to identify. "Bean Seed Maggots" are probably less fun than Jumping Worms :lol:
I had bought a large Excalibur dehydrator a few years ago, The Kid likes it. It was too tall & boxy for the only spot I could put it. Gave to the Kid & replaced it with a L'equip from bedbathbeyond & I really do like it. It's pricey & got very good reviews but I had to buy for size over $$$. The other day I saw it's about $115 at Amazon, has 6 trays, grid mats, 2 fruit leather trays. It does work very good though.

Hey, you really are motivated! That's great you're getting things done. I have to make lists, or I forget what to do.
At first, I didn't think it was worth it to share the things we're all doing. But now I feel it's important. Like you, I'd also gotten ideas from others here. That made me want to share projects I'd been working on.
So there ya go!

Another thing I did, I have a few 5 gallon NATO Jerry Cans (Lithuania is their supplier). I got 15 extra gaskets and vacuum sealed them in 3" x 3" bags to preserve the rubber, not sure if Neoprene. Used the 11" x 50' rolls of bags for SealAMeal, I make the size bags I need. Also can reuse bags, especially if item is non Food. Also been using it on other store bought food bags, like that pancake mix bag, Benders ? but sealer works good on freezer weight ziplock bags too. Pretty cool tool.
I tested the sealer on some heavy mm plastic sheeting, it will work great for sealing non food items....ink pens/paper etc. I plan on heading over to Dollar Store and and scrounge up some spiral note tablets to save.

I'm thinking on designing & making a portable but large aluminum tubing TeePee as a new project. I'll make it with Army Surplus tent cloth, & more complicated with brackets & struts, & modding those steel house framing brackets, hahaha! Somewhere I have a pattern/plans for TP.

Carry on!

Kink

#228 Post by Kink » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:29 pm

Andy F wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:37 pm
I'm thinking on designing & making a portable but large aluminum tubing TeePee as a new project. I'll make it with Army Surplus tent cloth, & more complicated with brackets & struts, & modding those steel house framing brackets, hahaha! Somewhere I have a pattern/plans for TP.
Please do! I would love to see you put this together. If you could make it modular that would be awesome to see, like the ability to attach a second tipi and it be connected with a middle 'tunnel' or something, maybe the middle piece could seat the fireplace/stove? :ugeek: Thanks for sharing your dehydator, I will look into it, but I may need to go cheaper since money is so tight.

I am the same way about needing to write it down, it also just helps seeing it visually. I have no problem tunnel visioning something but my issues come when I need to prioritize between multiple things and decide which requires the most time/attention the soonest as my head is constantly spinning with my mind on what needs to be done next. Same too about not wanting to share at first, I try to practice basic opsec but we're going into a friggin' mini ice age, now is not the time to be shy outside of not sharing obvious stuff like your arsenal/food stock, those seem like things to keep a little privatized.

Good idea about sealing ziplocs I've never thought about trying them, not sure if you've heard of MBBs (mylar barrier bags) but I picked up on these when I used to be a rebel, sending cannabis to my friend. These bags have been tested by someone using his retired drug dog, if I recall correctly, the regular sealer bags only lasted days before leaking smell, when sealed multiple times they got this up to a week each additional bag. The MBBs would last a month and an additional month each bag before leaking smell. I wonder if this is a good indicator of how long they last storing food too?

Andy F

#229 Post by Andy F » Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:20 am

@Kink I started looking for tarps; fireproof windproof UV proof leakproof animalproof bugproof TARPs of good quality used at a price I could afford. I have a couple sources, need to decide size & SqFt I'd need before buying.
When I get further down the thinking hole & into the buying trap, I will start a separate thread for TeePee Construction and carry on there. I figure I'd need about 2 large a good sized TP.
I'm also considering a Dome frame, making my own by flattening the metal tubes, plus brackets.

NOTE: I'm posting a PDF of How to Make a gazillion types of Shelters, Shacks etc over in PDF Zone, in about 5 minutes.
In regards to privacy here, or anywhere, I already know about the 5 Eyes, the TaiPei Plot, the 14 Eyes, the 5th Column and their Hugigagagabaloggganna Plot and Garden Plot.
NYET! It is all just PsyOps, all of the above have lost the control narrative AND I DO NOT CARE :lol: My only reason for being here is to prepare for what I know is ahead, and to help & share with the like minded others as best I can. I'd expect to believe others would be and would do the same.

Andy F

#230 Post by Andy F » Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:54 pm

Today?
Good day IAF! The Librarian is tops today with the thinker planner. Christian did a good video in past day or two, I'm catching up on watching his vids now. I did a few outside chores :!: Rethinking balanced food storage of needs, planning seed buying list.

I'm thinking more towards constructing a Dome, being way more feasible than a TePee. Also more portable, the much shorter Dome tubing, struts & brackets would lend to far more ease in building, much like a camping tent, but larger. The outer covering of Army type tarps could also be designed with smaller sections, laced together using industrial sized eyelets with a sewn in overlap. The typical large TePee poles are up to 25 feet in length, as I learned on an huge American Indian website "Manataka" that teaches the ways of life & living in TePees, & more. Very interesting website here https://www.manataka.org/page188.html

I think there is some valuable reading there while keeping GSM in mind & having a reasonable portable & structured home for those who may be forced to be on the move. We already know migration is almost a given, an effect of cold temperatures in the Indian communities led to their life for following the Sun.
I woke up with the idea of metal tubing, flattened on the ends and joined with a flat square of steel (or ?) using bolts.
Although PVC is lighter weight, I'd like to stay away from it, vying for metal tubing.
Now, am looking for Dome plans. My friend Emma in FR has those plans, she'd built a dome in her home long ago.

Edit: Here, is Simply Differently (TeePee & Dome Heaven!) https://simplydifferently.org/LC_Dome