Welcome to the forum.

This is where you introduce yourself.
Telemachus

Re: Welcome to the forum.

#51 Post by Telemachus » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:17 am

Hi everybody and thank you, Christian, for the forum.

I'm a 61 year old permaculturist, from the Midwest, currently in the Puget Sound area. I'm old enough to remember the coming ice age. But the 21st century was a long, long way off, so it was okay to forget about it.

Now that I am reminded I'm glad I focused so much on gardening.

Best wishes,
Dan

cherryyllaann

#52 Post by cherryyllaann » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:24 am

Thank you Christian for all you do and for creating the forum. It's humbling to me that you have the ability and heart felt desire to create this community to help inform us all of the troubled times ahead and how we may navigate them together. Thank you.

I am currently in South Florida preparing for my family's future. I've generally unintentionally killed lovely plants I have received as gifts and my knowledge of plant management had basically consisted of putting sugar and water into the vase I was preparing for my cut flowers. Talk about a learning curve. In the past 4 months I have planted tomatoes, peppers, eggplants, celery, sweet potatoes, chives, garlic, lettuce, broccoli a few other things. I thought growing plants in S. Florida couldn't be that tough, we get rain and sun, but I was wrong. My garden is still green but I do not have any food, other than lettuce and chives. My local nursery just told me they don't begin to plant until October due to the heat. Well, guess I should have checked with them first. Diamond said, you have to start to fail and he is right. Now I know!

So, I'm learning lots from experience and from the abundance of information provided by Christian, Diamond, David DB, GSM, The Radical Gardner and others. What a whole new world this is.
I have 2 young sons who are right along with me planting, listening and learning.

Also, I did read through other's introductions and will add that I too recall the Nat'l Geographic or PBS TV specials warning about the coming Ice Age but I was just a kid and thought the year 2000 would just never arrive. Here we are, and couldn't be with a better set of folks in this community.

dirtmurphy

#53 Post by dirtmurphy » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:25 pm

@cherryyllaann, what lettuce variety did you plant? Also, when did you put your garden in the ground?

cherryyllaann

#54 Post by cherryyllaann » Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:21 am

Hi dirtmurphy. I planted an assorted lettuce mix I think from Baker Creek. I used a large whiskey barrel and prepared the soil with a mix of Miracle grow for veggies, perlite and peat moss so that the soil was light an airy. They are in an area that receives full to partial sun from the west. The seeds did sprout and poked up above the soil but stunted in that very small position for quite a while, like 2 months. I would water daily, a considerable amount but not overly drench the soil (afraid I'd give too much water and the leaves would turn yellow and fall off). Recently we've had a ton of rain and now they have started to grow again. They are still pretty small however not really the size yet of an assorted lettuce bag you would buy in the store. I guess in the beginning I was not watering enough.

Last month I purchased 6 small romaine lettuce seedlings from Home Depot. Each had a little group of leaves. I transplanted them into a large whiskey barrel with the same type soil mixture as with the assorted lettuce and have been watering regularly. In an area that receives full to partial sun from the west. Now they are becoming very leggy and the leaves I bought them with are actually getting bigger but I do not see any new leaves coming from the plants. I think if I picked the leaves now, the plant would not produce more new leaves. Each plant has like 5-6 leaves, not like a real bunch of romaine you would get at the store or an organics coop. Maybe I am expecting too much?

I also purchased and transplanted similarly curly kale and broccoli. These guys were initially perky. Now I see something has been eating all the leaves, just stem remains. We thought it was aphids. I tried a water mixture of Dr. Bronner's Peppermit oil and sprayed them down. Didn't work. I tried the same mixture again but added alcohol and peroxide as well. Didn't work. I took photos and went to my local plant nursery. The said I should use neem oil. Just got some and will try it. Not sure if there is a best time to spray the plants, if morning or evening is better.

On an sort of happy note, we did plant from seed Dragon Tongue Beans and they sprouted gorgeously. My son was soooo proud. Within 4 weeks they were like a foot tall. We transplanted those in the ground, next morning, big holes in the leaves. The nursery sold me Thuricide BT for caterpillar control and Sluggo for slugs to apply in the evening.

We also planted in ground tomatoes, peppers and eggplants. These plants receive sun from the east and south. I watered lots as they seemed to go dry really fast. The tomatoes took off, lots of flowers no fruit. We tried the tapping method to pollinate the flowers to no avail. They would shrivel on the vine. The peppers and eggplants are stunted, not growing much at all. I have fertilized them with Jobe's veggie fertilizer 3-4 times. I recently bought a shade thinking the sun is just too much. Kind of lost here and I love salsa! These guys too are experiencing the holes in leaves. We bought 1500 ladybugs and ladybug food. They hung around for a while then flew away.

We do have marigolds planted surrounding these areas in order to attract more pollinators. We also bought milkweed from the nursery as they said this plant attracts butterflies and other pollinators. We also have other assorted flowering plants that seem to be living so that is encouraging.

I am hopeful and would welcome your input if you have any suggestions. Thanks for taking an interest.

keyanah

#55 Post by keyanah » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:23 am

Just wanna say hi all and thanks to Christian for making a place like this :) not a whole lot of people that know about this ice age time, so nice to have at place where i am not considered paranoia when saying "ice age" :D
I live in Denmark and just thinking about starting to grow microgreen indore, i order the seed and are now waiting for them to arrive. I am also canning stuff and experimenting with dehydrating and growing things in my garden that require a minimum of time and money to grow and keep alive, perennials fruit trees and berries. I am always looking for nye interesting things to do.
Well that's all for now, stay well and take care.

CreoleGenius

#56 Post by CreoleGenius » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:31 pm

Hi, Keyanah. Welcome to the Refugium. Ask anything of us, and the answer will be given unto you!

Andy F

#57 Post by Andy F » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:51 pm

F X wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:55 pm
Old enough to remember the 1958 article in Harpers on The coming ice age. And I actually own a copy of Hamakers Survival of Civilization.
Welcome, check out the PDF Zone in IAF forum.
:D
"Conspiracy Theorist: One who asks legitimate questions about shady activities of people who're well known to be liars." https://www.archive.org :mrgreen: http://www.secretsinplainsight.com/

GSM Farmer USA

#58 Post by GSM Farmer USA » Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:15 pm

Finally! I found the tip of the spear! Glad to meet the most awake and aware GSM group as we plunge in to the most important topic in the world! Thank you Christian for all your hard work.

Andy F

#59 Post by Andy F » Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:17 am

CreoleGenius wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:49 pm
You two administrators are going to let this baby die as soon as it emerges from the womb. Nope.
Welcome to the new-ish members. Might seem like it, but we're not ignoring you.
"Conspiracy Theorist: One who asks legitimate questions about shady activities of people who're well known to be liars." https://www.archive.org :mrgreen: http://www.secretsinplainsight.com/

Pyra

#60 Post by Pyra » Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:39 am

Hiya! Long time viewer of Ice Age Farmer on YouTube. I remember when Christian first came out with videos there. Been loving his channel ever since especially the proactive attitude and learning stance he promotes. I'm sure everyone else is onboard with that, too.