Home Heating in the GSM

dirtmurphy

Re: Home Heating in the GSM

#11 Post by dirtmurphy » Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:12 pm

My wood stove is finally installed! I just hooked up the stove pipe this morning. :D

Andy F

#12 Post by Andy F » Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:39 pm

dirtmurphy wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:12 pm
My wood stove is finally installed! I just hooked up the stove pipe this morning. :D
Well YAY!!! That is great news! You'll be warm now. Congrats :D
"Conspiracy Theorist: One who asks legitimate questions about shady activities of people who're well known to be liars." https://www.archive.org :mrgreen: http://www.secretsinplainsight.com/

dirtmurphy

#13 Post by dirtmurphy » Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:42 pm

Just lit the first fire. So far, so good. Which is funny if you're from around here because in the majority of Southern Appalachian dialects "fire" is pronounced "far." :lol:

dirtmurphy

#14 Post by dirtmurphy » Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:31 am

I haven't tried this yet, but I plan to try it soon. Here are two methods for heating your home on the cheap using newspaper.

How to make fire logs out of recycled paper. This guy does it with dry paper.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAgudCZbpRY

Prepper Princess is making fire bricks out of newspaper pulp in this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxCGCcqXSAk

dirtmurphy

#15 Post by dirtmurphy » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:09 pm

We made dry newspaper logs a few days ago and have been using them in our stove. They are extending the life of the fire as promised in the videos. This is something we will absolutely do again. We're going to try the wet method in the summer when it's more comfortable to be outside working with wet paper.

Farside

#16 Post by Farside » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:24 pm

Something about these paper logs to bear in mind...

The paper making process often incorporates clay. The cheaper the paper, the higher the content of clay typically. Since newsprint is about as cheap a paper as can be, it contains a lot of said clay.

This isn't usually a big deal until you go to burn it. Clay doesn't really burn, and instead it turns to ash. This is why you may have noticed that burning newspaper seems to leave a lot of leftover stuff. Making fire logs out of newsprint means that you will likely need to clean out your fireplace more often, and there is an increased possibility of embers flying out the top of your chimney.

A better alternative is to use stick wood from coppiced trees. Stick wood (branches) contain more volatile combustibles than heart wood (from the trunk) and so you will get more heat units per unit weight provided that your fireplace is one that burns the creosote rather than sending it up the chimney.

Some species of tree will grow back when you cut them down. Alder and hazel are examples. Coppicing means pruning these trees every 5 years to gather stick wood which is about as thick as your thumb. The tree grows back, and you have a near endless supply of high quality fuel. Choose the right tree species and the firewood plot can double as a food source.

dirtmurphy

#17 Post by dirtmurphy » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:09 pm

Thank you for the input. I didn't know that clay is used in making paper. At this point, the paper logs are merely an experiment to see how well they work. I'm not burning them in lieu of wood. The wood I use is a mix of heart wood and branches, all hard woods of course (beech, oak, cherry). My biggest concern is having a chimney fire, so I don't really want to burn anything producing too much creosote. I don't mind cleaning our stove on the days that I throw in a paper log. We use the ash to help loosen our heavy clay soils, then add compost after the clay has gotten "fluffy." I wouldn't add the ash to healthy soils though, because microbes prefer an acidic environment, not an alkaline one.
Another factor is that using coppiced wood at the diameter you have described would require constant feeding of the stove, The paper logs once again are intended to extend the life of the fire. So if I need to run an errand or spend several hours on a farm chore I can walk away from the stove, rather than having to feed it often. I think the coppiced wood would work better in a rocket mass heater, which is supposedly more efficient than stoves. I don't have any real world experience with rocket mass heaters so I don't know for sure. I would like to know more about them though. Have you tried them or do you know anyone who has?

Farside

#18 Post by Farside » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:42 pm

I haven't built one but I've been researching a lot on the topic on a periodic basis.

The challenge with RMH is to economically construct a burn chamber that can withstand the extremely high temperatures over years of regular usage.

Because of their high operating temperatures they are very efficient and clean burning systems.

dirtmurphy

#19 Post by dirtmurphy » Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:13 pm

Here's a short vid on various uses for wood ashes. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzjdjGi0qk8

We try not to waste anything around here, including ashes. I have used small amounts of hard wood ash to break up clay soils for years but the next step is to make lye soap. You can also use lye to clear clogged drains. Here is a vid showing how to make lye (KOH). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsfskVr_raY The only thing I would do differently is wear protective gloves, goggles, and an apron.

Ice Age Prepper

#20 Post by Ice Age Prepper » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:32 pm

The paper logs/bricks, IMO, should be kept as sort of backup to toss in to either stoke the fire, get it going or just buy a little time for you to get out to the woodpile that day. Yes, they may add a little to the cleaning time but all who I see use this method have not reported anything exceptional.

I am continuing to gather cardboard/paper mailings to make papers logs/bricks. Not using any of the shiny papers or envelops with plastic windows. In general, anything that I could not clearly write upon I disregard is a good measure I go by.

Also, this season I have been watching other preppers YT channels on how they are holding up burning wood. Surprisingly I see so many people with woodpiles that are not covered. Not even by a tarp and there is a foot of snow along the top. This winter is a lessons for us all in preparedness. Get a tarp or put that wood under roof. Also, grab some pallets from in town and toss on the ground to keep that wood up from moisture.

Question:
Does anyone use those metal fans on their woodstoves to circulate the heat? How do you move the heat around the house for better coverage?

- Ice Age Prepper
"Your Gonna Need More than a Wool Blanket for This One!" *Ice Age Prepper
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQwRNf ... tpFxt_SGQA