What did you do to prepare today?

What did you do to prepare today?
dirtmurphy

Re: What did you do to prepare today?

#161 Post by dirtmurphy » Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:15 am

We haven't had heat other than space heaters for years now. The wood stove has been a long time coming! And I did stretch and didn't try to do everything at once but there's just so much of the stuff! There are still several inches on the ground and we've been above freezing for several days now. I'm taking a much needed break and letting nature handle the rest. And yes Andy F, age does have it's benefits :D . Maybe I'd like to be a touch younger in body, but I'd love being a touch older in experience :lol: I guess that's one of the reasons I'm here with y'all - reaping the rewards of your experiences!

Elew

#162 Post by Elew » Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:05 pm

Today I cut out 5 bags and cut alot of fringe...I have scissor blisters now :P

But the most exciting thing today, is that a guy I met made me an ulu that fits my hand! Super exciting. I have my grandmothers, but my hands are really small so it doesn't really fit. I have to be careful when I use it and the point sticks out too far and can poke my wrist if I swing it too far. So the little one is the one he made me, along with a hook to put on the wall so I can keep the blade safe in the RV while not using it.

Elew

#163 Post by Elew » Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:20 pm

I am super excited for it Andy, and I agree, I will be thankful for many years :)

Today, I am practicing balance, breathing, and keeping on with the daily while dealing with an emergency.

Last night, 2:30 am, I got a call from the emergency room. My middle daughter was in a pretty bad car accident, she got T-boned...car totaled, broken leg, multiple pelvic fractures, lacerated kidney, face and tongue wounds...but she will be okay. She somehow managed to not hurt her head, spine is intact, and she was never in critical condition.

I spoke with her on Wire, and she is coherent...so I will not be going to the hospital. I need to stay here and work. Her life is going to be very different though...she may loose her apt, she now has no car because she had zero insurance (she couldn't afford it), so getting to work after she heals will be a challenge. But thankfully her 6 year old was not in the car...he is with my sister on the east coast, and so there he will stay, safe and sound.

Breathing, and working..."children are wonderful, children are great"...has been my mantra for years ;)

dirtmurphy

#164 Post by dirtmurphy » Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:47 pm

I'm sending my love Elew.

Kink

#165 Post by Kink » Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:12 pm

Oh my god Elew, that's horrible :( I hope she heals fast and that you and that your family are getting through this in good spirits. I will be praying for you all.

Those cutting tools are amazing though, gives me inspiration for the antlers I have. Good to see everyone still keeping on, have been working mostly and preparing for the coming snow in the east coast for christmas. Didn't have a chance to go snowboarding last months snow but I hope there's enough for me this time.

Elew

#166 Post by Elew » Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:42 pm

Thanks guys :) She is going to be okay...if it was going to happen, best it happen while we still have intact emergency care.

Kink, the blades are cut from old saw blades, for the carbon steel so they hold a nice edge...then only beveled on one side. They make a good hide scraper that way too...

iceagefarmer
Site Admin

#167 Post by iceagefarmer » Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:22 pm

Elew, really sorry to hear that -- and yet so glad to hear she is set to recover. You will both be in my prayers.

Christian

aarnevaktis

#168 Post by aarnevaktis » Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:07 am

Today, I harvested 21 greenpee seeds, and then cut em all down. I will cut 2 out of 4 moringa down, simply have no space. Will keep 1 tomato plant. Replanted sallad and leak. Will keep seeds and frutlings more or less under shadow.-..

dirtmurphy

#169 Post by dirtmurphy » Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:46 pm

Andy F wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:28 pm
I was reading at NASA about their big Megacities Project
Go back and read the story of Joseph and the pharaoh in Genesis in its entirety. You'll see there is precedent for this.

Kink

#170 Post by Kink » Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:11 pm

Andy F wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:06 pm
It is so suppressed, no one will figure it out unless they want to spend the time to do so.

A Tsunami just hit Indonesia, 0755 PST 12-23-2018. Over 220 has drowned. Tsunami wave strikes Indonesian pop band during show
Sad our neighbors were from indonesia and they hadn't heard from some of their loved ones last night. I've been tracking krakatau since the kilauea event this year, as soon as sunspots dropped, it started increasing activity. I'm going to post a PDF here in the PDF zone soon showing the correlation between GSMs and large VEI/seismic uptick in activity during them.

Here's some of my own research/connections I've made so far:

As far as what I've been doing to prepare, I've been fasting a lot. Slowly working my way to a week with no food. I dropped 7lbs in 2 days doing this but gained it back thanks to some ganja, trying to prepare myself for what it's going to be like to live with hunger pangs. Working on my third firewood crib here as well, and bought some tools so I can sharpen my own chainsaw blades in the future. Oh and figured out my chainsaw has a freaking chain bar oil reservoir I never knew about, so filled it up with Canola oil and we're good to go now! Tip: Canola oil is best in the winter, vegetable oil is for the summer for anyone with one/looking to get a chainsaw.